Author Topic: nuc box pricing  (Read 3562 times)

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
nuc box pricing
« on: December 23, 2014, 07:13:10 pm »
I am getting requests from folks wanting to by Nuc boxes. I build the ones from the plans off this forum. 4 boxes out of one sheet of 1/2 plywood.

I am wondering what you guys think a fair price is. The 4 ply, plywood runs me 17.98 per sheet.  I sold the first 2 for 10 bucks each, assembled but unpainted, I figured I would let them pay for the sheet of plywood and keep the 2 free boxes.

Now, I just sold another one, for 15.00 this time.  Wondering if my prices are to low. I don't have to much labor in them as I let the store make all the rip cuts (5) for me. All I do is the cross cuts and put together.

So after 3 boxes I have 35 bucks and 1 box leftover. That 35 will almost buy me 2 more sheets of plywood and give me a total of 9 nuc boxes.

Anyone else sold any of these?

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: nuc box pricing
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 07:31:14 pm »
I haven't sold any, but I wouldn't let mine go for a penny less than $25 a piece. Maybe $20, but that would not even be primed or anything.
I even have aluminum covers on the lids (just flashing).
Your time is worth something. My wife keeps telling me that if I don't place a fair value on what it is I do, no one else will.
If folks don't want to pay that, let them go pick up a sheet of plywood, haul it home, cut it up, glue it and nail it together.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 08:03:36 pm »
 :agree:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:35:50 pm »
Okay perry i will. :P Jack

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 10:53:44 pm »
Yea, I agree also.

Next one will be 20 unpainted. I'm not seeking to sell them, people are coming to me. I'm just trying to build them for myself.  ;) But, hey, if I can build a few extra and get mine paid for, why not.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 11:13:10 pm »
I pay 20.00 each, painted.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 11:23:22 pm »
I make mine out of white pine and use flashing on the top cover. For late summer nucs (hot and muggy) i make screen bottom boards. Like my buddy perry $20.00 to $25.00 ea.is a fair price

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 11:49:34 pm »
I made about 30 Nuc boxes a couple of years ago for our bee club.  I "donated" those to the club for $10 each.  If someone wanted more, I'd be charging $30 each.  That includes an entrance screen, screened ventilation hole on top and an assembled box made with cabinet maker accuracy. No paint.   A nice Nuc box has roughly fifteen components and even with making dozens at a time, it takes 30 to 40 minutes to make each one. If you're OK with making $5/hr, then $10 is all right, but great workmanship is worth a heck of a lot more.
My advice: worth price charged :)