Author Topic: Slovenian Hives  (Read 11056 times)

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
Slovenian Hives
« on: June 01, 2016, 11:27:44 am »
I guess they are also known as AZ hives.
Anyone running them?
Maybe more importantly, does anyone have any usable plans for making them? 
I've been thinking more and more that this would be a worthwhile experiment.  Maybe this winter will be the one that I take the time to make up a few cabinets.
I'm starting to think that the bees are keeping me...

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Slovenian Hives
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 12:39:45 pm »

Hi Keith  :)  You mean like this?

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 01:27:29 pm »
Here is a link
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7DrOGMiXtlYzZTM3YtczNudjQ
Pdf is attached. no it is not Attachment is to large. have to use link
Not the best but does have some measurements on it

But why? Build a hive house like Pete had up in Williams Lake and use langstroth's.
The size would vary depending on the type of frames being used. Not to bad in North America but in Europe there is a lot of different hive\frame sizes
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 02:18:26 pm »
But why? Build a hive house like Pete had up in Williams Lake and use langstroth's.

I didn't know that Pete up in Willams Lake had built something.  I'll look at anything to get more ideas to work with.

My main goal would be to build something that didn't require the lifting a langstroth does.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 09:02:09 pm »
In Europe the farms are small in size compared to over here so there crops are more diverse and smaller. They collect and market a lot of their honey as a specialty flower source honey so because of this, they are pulling frames and extracting them as the flows progress. In North America with some of the intense flows we can get, A single honey super is not adequate space for the collecting, ripening, condensing and consolidating of the honey crop.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 08:32:40 am »
As I recall, over the last several years, there have been several articles about this style of beekeeping in the American Bee Journal. http://americanbeejournal.com/archives/abj-extra/
You might find what you are looking for here.

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 12:02:07 pm »
Apis, you always bring up points I hadn't thought through completely.  Thanks for that!

I've seen them extracting these types of hives a few frames at a time while I tend to extract 50 or more at a sitting. 

Maybe I could modify the existing design to accommodate more super space.  Maybe I will use this style simply for nuc raising.  Always more questions :)

Offline Retroguy

• Retroguy
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 11:14:47 pm »
I've been looking these over as well.  There is one source in MA selling hives manufactured in Slovenia.  There's also an outfit in GA that makes a modified version that has 3 chambers instead of the normal 2 and sells those.  I believe the also modified the dimensions to use Langstroth frames.  Another individual I came across has modified the dimensions to use Lang frames and to fit the hives between 16" centered wall studs (he referred to them as "stealth" hives with the idea that you could build them into your house in a way that no one would notice).

The beauty of the AZ hive is that you could actually build the hives into a building that also houses your honey equipment.  In Europe they build them into trailers and tow the trailers to various nectar sources.

The biggest advantage as I see it is that you're not lugging honey supers.  Lots easier on the back.

For me, figuring out modifications will be a winter project but I'm not sure which winter that will be.
I always stand behind my work...
It makes me harder to find.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 11:36:33 am »
PK...  I built a "shed" to put bees in up Maine..   6 feet wide 14 feet long or close..  leaves enough room to walk down the middle..  The stands built on either side were actually the bottom boards with built in entrances. We used medium hive bodies to limit the weight lifted. A hatch at the back of the shed near the floor with a piece of cattle panel across it, with a hatch at the front of the shed allowed them to be opened, heat rises, cool air comes in the bottom hatch and exits the top.. When working the bees, simply open the door, they go to the light almost the instant they fly.   
   A solar panel on the outside, a 12 volt battery inside, and RV bulbs allow light inside.. bees will gather around the lights until they go out, then they quickly exit through the hatch or open door.
   The sheds are on skids, pull them on the trailer move them as needed, pull them off the trailer.

I was SO IMPRESSED by how nicely they wintered that i have plans to build more of those sheds here. In Maine, the added benefit is that the bears will tear up the corners and trim a bit, but cant get to the hives..  a fencer hooked to the 12 volt battery already there and two rows of electric fence attached to the building seemed to fix the problems of the bears tearing up the landing boards..
   Oh, the landing boards are on hinges..  Come time to move the shed, flip them up and lock in place. Arirve and unload, unlock the barrel bolt, flip the landing board down to release the bees.

I think the major part of the success of the design was simply the fact that the hives are no longer exposed to the wind.  Anotehr added benefit is that the hive components are no longer exposed to the elements, and seem at this point to be capable of lasting forever...

white tin roof, T1-11 siding, 3/4 plywood floor, and 6x6 skids.  Cost about 1400 to build the shed..  the payback will come in NOT having hives destroyed by bears, and the almost complete lack of warping/weathering of the hive components.
   I would post pictures, but in my continued forgetfulness I have NEVER been near them with my camera..   One of these days I will have to upgrade my phone to one that has a camera...  Of course, then i will forget my phone.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline colt63

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 03:57:51 pm »
I know this is an old thread, but someone might be interested.  I have 4 AZ hives in a 12 x 16 foot shed.  It is nice to be able to check the feed at any time.  The only downside that I had last summer is only having one super.  I have to pull honey frames several times during the summer. Since it is too much trouble to use my 14 frame extractor for a few frames, I put them in a freezer until I am ready to extract everything.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 06:26:47 pm »
colt63, I see this is your first post on this forum.  Welcome!  Old thread or not, glad you found something of interest here.  We look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 09:34:57 pm »
Welcome Colt 63,
 :)
I look forward to reading your posts about your AZ setup. I've always found them intriguing.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 11:09:37 pm »
An Americanized AZ hive is offered for sale HERE.

Quote from:  Drebbieville Hives
AZ Hives come from Slovenia and are a strong alternative to the common Langstroth hives. With a Langstroth hive, the beekeeper must lift heavy boxes in order to get their work done. For some of us this lifting just isnĘžt possible. Some experienced beekeepers find themselves having to quit their hobby for physical reasons and new beekeepers are deterred from the activity all together -- all because of these heavy boxes!

The Drebbieville is the first American produced AZ hive with accessible frames from the rear like a dollhouse, modified to familiar Langstroth dimensions. The Drebbieville hive eliminates the heavy work of beekeeping!
Lee_Burough

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 09:01:28 pm »
Thanks Lee,

An interesting concept but at $150 per hive body it is way overpriced. If My back gets so bad I just can't lift boxes, I'll likely build my own top bar hives.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 10:35:10 pm »
Thanks Lee,

An interesting concept but at $150 per hive body it is way overpriced. If My back gets so bad I just can't lift boxes, I'll likely build my own top bar hives.
I had considered buying one and copying it.  Since it has been oversized (from the original AZ hive) to use US sized foundation already, it might be worth it for that use.
Lee_Burough

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 04:23:57 pm »
I was lucky enough to speak with Brian Drebber of Drebbieville Hives at EAS this Summer. Very enthusiastic and passionate guy.  I really enjoyed speaking with him about... well about most anything.
Sadly, he passed away less than a week after I met him.
I purchased one of his hives at EAS for our Club yard.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how they work for us.