Author Topic: Local squirrels are getting smarter  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Local squirrels are getting smarter
« on: May 29, 2021, 10:23:48 am »
Our mixed breed terrier, a shelter dog, thinks his job is to keep the insolent squirrels and rabbits out of his yard.  He uses severe methods, if you know what I mean.  The squirrel population is out of hand, mostly because I try to feed the birds and the squirrels make sure they get their fair share.  When the dog charges out the door, most critters scurry and head to the nearest tree.  So we have one smart squirrel that has discovered he can hide in between the bee hives, wait a few moments, and then head to the nearest tree!  I am waiting to see how long it takes the dog to figure this out.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Local squirrels are getting smarter
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 04:24:04 pm »
I have found squirrels are tolerated best just after a visit to the frying pan.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 06:48:17 pm »
Our dogs chase squirrels, but they have never caught one, although one of our Anatolians was extremely close once.  My sister got a BB gun recently, and she's planning on trying to shoot some squirrels.  We were planning on feeding them to the dogs, but maybe we'll have to fry one up and try it ourselves.  ;)
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 07:47:51 pm »
Fry 2 or 3 young ones, or boil and make dumplings if they are older ones. Old squirrels are very tough.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 09:47:01 am »
Our dogs chase squirrels, but they have never caught one, although one of our Anatolians was extremely close once.  My sister got a BB gun recently, and she's planning on trying to shoot some squirrels.  We were planning on feeding them to the dogs, but maybe we'll have to fry one up and try it ourselves.  ;)
Our terrier does catch them, not all of them, but quite a few.  Some break free from the "Jaws of Death".  We have taught him to leave them lay and not eat them.  Sometimes he brings them to the back door which gets lots of praise.  I worry about worms.  Are worms seasonal?  I think they are in rabbits.
Last week we watched a friend's Brittany Spaniel.  Our terrier was teaching her to chase those squirrels up trees.  I don't think she would have known what to do if she did catch one.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 06:54:12 pm »
Our terrier does catch them, not all of them, but quite a few.  Some break free from the "Jaws of Death".  We have taught him to leave them lay and not eat them.  Sometimes he brings them to the back door which gets lots of praise.  I worry about worms.  Are worms seasonal?  I think they are in rabbits.
Last week we watched a friend's Brittany Spaniel.  Our terrier was teaching her to chase those squirrels up trees.  I don't think she would have known what to do if she did catch one.
I'm not sure, but if your dog is on a dewormer I wouldn't be too concerned about it.  That's cool that he'll bring his catches to you.  One of our Anatolians brought us a rabbit once when he was little.  We sort of doubt he was skilled enough at that age to catch it, so he may have found it already dead, so we didn't let him eat it.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 08:44:59 am »
Our little dachshund caught one once. 3Reds heard a scream (the squirrel) and then Frank was in the house dropping the dead squirrel at my feet.

More screaming ensued (not the squirrel) ...
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 09:47:46 am »
 :laugh:

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 12:21:26 pm »
That squirrel would be completely safe at my house.  My Blue Heeler will chase squirrels but she absolutely doesn’t do bees.  Any sign of a bee near her and she will A - get between my legs hoping the bee will bother me or B- head to the house.  If I put on my bee jacket she will stay in house and refuse to leave until I take it off. 

I believe she put her nose to a hive as a puppy and has never forgotten the result.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 08:24:08 am »
That squirrel would be completely safe at my house.  My Blue Heeler will chase squirrels but she absolutely doesn’t do bees.  Any sign of a bee near her and she will A - get between my legs hoping the bee will bother me or B- head to the house.  If I put on my bee jacket she will stay in house and refuse to leave until I take it off. 

I believe she put her nose to a hive as a puppy and has never forgotten the result.
:D
My terrier is leery of the bees too.  When he sees me get ready to work bees, sometimes he wants back in the house.  He has been stung chasing a squirrel past the front of the hives.  They think that black coat is a predator of some type.