Sustainable Living > Gardening

Black Locust Tree Bloom

(1/2) > >>

Les:
Stepped out on the deck last night and the air was filled with the scent of the black locust flowers.  It was
intoxicating.  Wish I could get a better pic but this is just a small example of how heavy the bloom is.  We have been in this house 8 years and have never experienced such a bloom.  Watching the bees this morning and none of them are bringing in pollen.  I’m guessing they are loaded up with nectar.

Bakersdozen:
The black locust was blooming here last week.  I seems that it's a rare year when the black locust blooms are knocked out by a storm.  At least around here you can't expect a harvest from them, but when you do, it is great honey!

Les:
Baker the first year I had bees, we had a decent bloom and the honey crop was amazing.  I still have a small jar left over from that harvest to keep as comparison in case we ever got lucky again. Checking my hives tomorrow to see how they’re filling the frames.

riverbee:
loved the pic les!

Bakersdozen:
The talk around leads me to think our unusual heat wave "knocked" the nectar out of the black locust blooms.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version