Author Topic: WHOOO HOOO!  (Read 48027 times)

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
Re: WHOOO HOOO!
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2014, 07:10:50 pm »
I remember when my hive tool looked like that.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2014, 07:51:52 pm »
thanks guys.   I'll keep you posted...    So far, I have yet to hear a return call from Mr. Wolf [in sheep's clothing] as i did call and ask for a call back ASAP to have him explain how this happened after he personally inspected them?!?!

Can't call the credit card company until later, as my wife has the card and will not be home until late.

Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2014, 08:43:42 pm »
So did you get 10 frames that looked similar to the last pictures you posted?  I'm not saying you didn't get shafted, the guy did not deliver as promised.  But also you should understand that drawn frames are like gold to a fledgling colony.  They will help them get going a lot faster than they otherwise would.  Don't turn your nose up at even partially drawn frames.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2014, 09:27:34 pm »
"drawn frames are like gold to a fledgling colony.  They will help them get going a lot faster than they otherwise would.  Don't turn your nose up at even partially drawn frames."

yes, and very true. and you pay for it in one way or another.  drawn comb is gold to the beekeeper and the bees.  beekeepers don't like to cycle comb out, so what's in the comb?  comb and frames from a commercial operation....california, texas, to wisconsin, where else has it been? and what is in it?......some of this comb is old and dark and has seen better days.  the bees have most likely been treated for mites on this comb umpteen times.....but like i said, what else is in it? 
partially drawn frames?  would anyone here make and sell nucs with partially drawn comb?  this is not the 'standard' in the industry......

healthy comb, healthy bees. 5 frame nucs; all drawn comb, ready to go. 3 frames bees, brood, 2 frames honey, pollen......nothing less, and in my humble opinion, don't accept anything less, UNLESS, you are apprised of what you are getting HONESTLY.

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2014, 09:49:05 pm »
Mrs. River is right..
   Sometimes it is hard for me to think in the correct format..  I would sift through those combs to find the best of the lot and get the bees started using them, but almost as soon as they had better comb being built I would start cycling them out..   A waste of time and effort for the bees AND for the price of a nuc...   Having resources from other hives would have those bees in business in a short time. NOT having the extra resources means a struggle and slow build from what he was provided, and that is pursuant to there being NO problems along the way.
   Imagine someone NOT a part of a good forum who knew no better because they were just starting out...     >:(
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2014, 10:07:25 pm »
I don't mean to sound short, (my nerves have had a long day) so forgive me if this comes off the wrong way - please keep in mind I have invested over $250 for the privilege of getting these nucs and this "gold".  It's not like I caught a swarm and am trying to get it up to snuff.  they should already be up to snuff!

I just received a call from Mr. Wolf (8:45 PM) who told me he was going to give my number to his supplier in Sparta.   
I told him fine (I am curious to hear from them, know who they are, and see what they have to say anyway), but was curious how this happened when he told me that he had inspected them?   He then backpedaled and said he saw them shaking bees in the boxes and loading them on the trucks and looked fine then... 

I then told him it wasn't my place to tell him how to run a business, but if his name is on it, and I'm giving him the money for these nucs, wouldn't he be the one ultimately responsible for the product?  Especially after the "mistake" the first time?!?!?!?   I told him I would be expecting money back, and he told me he was going to call his supplier [passing the buck]  and call me back.

It's really too bad that he took so long to call back.  I just finished this :

thoughts on what to say or ask to the next level of incompetence [Sparta supplier] (I don't want to call it crookedness outright) if they happen to call?
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2014, 10:15:04 pm »
How About "Take Your Job And Shove It"
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2014, 10:25:11 pm »
BBB is a step, but I would still refute the charge with the credit card company.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2014, 10:28:27 pm »
he just called back and told me he couldn't get a hold of the supplier tonight.
stay tuned kids.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2014, 10:54:44 pm »
Iddee - What is BBB?  Let me guess.... Better Bee Bureau   :D

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2014, 10:56:09 pm »
......... :D
better business bureau jen, but sure like what you said...... :D :D :D

uh duh, maybe you knew that already..... :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2014, 11:06:23 pm »
Better Bee Business Bureau. I missed one B. :P
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2014, 11:07:00 pm »
 :D

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2014, 11:15:38 pm »
"Better Bee Business Bureau. I missed one B. :P"
........ :D
oh my stars, too funny...... better bee business bureau....... :D

sorry zweefer, but like iddee, call your credit card company.....i think you have.  i would be calling it good and be done with this guy.....you have done everything you can, don't give yourself anymore stress or aggravation. let's just get you going on taking care of your bees!!! 
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2014, 11:23:52 pm »
Riv - ""let's just get you going on taking care of your bees!!!""

ROCK ON! for Bigger Badder Bees for Zweef!  ;) 8) 

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2014, 06:22:50 pm »
I think you will be able to get these bees going in the right direction, just a little slow to start.

Put all of that drawn comb in the brood nest to get the queen laying eggs. Just need to get the numbers up.

You just learned a hard lesson on bees and am sorry it had to happen this way. But you will forever know what to look for.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2014, 10:01:55 pm »
Quick update : I have reached satisfaction with the supplier (assuming next time i check my cc statement i see the credit) :)
The bees appear to be growing and getting stronger.  They are not taking much for syrup (1/8 - 1/4 of a quart per day), but i think this is probably because there is enough natural nectar out there - i have observed about 2 of every 3 lot of bees coming back with empty pollen baskets, so am assuming either nectar or water?  The others are bringing in three different types of pollen, so looks like things are going in the right direction.  going to wait a few more days before I open them back up - hate to set them back too often :)

The kids and I have found two different places they are getting water on our property.  They are having a blast tracking them to the various places they go.   I just wish the blueberry bushes in the garden were one - have yet to see a single bee there even though the flowers have been out for a few days already.

I guess the only question I have at this point is is there anything more I should be doing?  as they are bringing pollen in, should i supplement with a pollen patty?  As they are not taking the syrup is feeding still necessary?   

Thanks for all your patience and advice thus far! 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2014, 10:07:32 pm »
Hi Zweef!  Right On!  ;D  I would keep feed on for awhile, they need all the help they can get, they still have a lot of wax pulling to do and feeding encourages that. The more wax they pull, the sooner you'll be able to find eggs.

So Happy For You!

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2014, 10:36:44 pm »
I would skip the patties.  They should have enough around.  Besides, those things draw ants.

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2014, 11:01:56 pm »
I keep the feed on until they have finished drawing out the second brood box or until they refuse to take any at all.  1/4 quart/ day is about what they need, when they take more they're storing it.  As for peeking in, there is a big difference between just popping the lid for a look and going through the whole hive frame by frame.   Your first year needs to be educational too, so don't be scared to look.   I used to peek under the lid about every two days and inspect about every 10 days.    Now I peek under the lid about once a week and inspect about every 2 to 3 weeks (once a week for strong hives in swarm season).    What you're looking for is how many spaces between the frames are full of bees.   Once you have 8 frsmes full of bees you can add another box.  This should take 3 to 8 weeks depending on conditions.

This is what 5 frames of bees looks like.   When they're this size they tend to be fairly docile  and I just give them a quick mist of 1 part sugar two parts water to keep them calm during a brief look.

My advice: worth price charged :)