Author Topic: Tennis elbow  (Read 12250 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Tennis elbow
« on: April 10, 2014, 08:43:21 am »
Hey Jen:
For the third time in my life I have come down with "tennis elbow". If anyone else has ever had it they can understand how disruptive this can be. The 2 previous times I've had it, Cortisone injections directly into the elbow only provided fleeting relief, and it basically took several months (!!!) to go away.
Something as simple as picking up a pot of coffee to pour a cup results in stabbing pain shooting up my arm. Disrupted sleep is next as you constantly shift and turn trying to find a comfortable zone.
Would bee stings help?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
Re: Tennis elbow
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 09:10:37 am »
I get tennis elbow fairly often.  Sometimes I catch it soon enough, once in a while I get to the point that I can't lift a coffee cup.  I dunno about bee stings, but one of those pressure bands that go over your forearm have helped me when I got it bad. 
I'm starting to think that the bees are keeping me...

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 09:17:48 am »
I had it once in 2008.  It would really zing if you moved it just right! :'(  I used a $10 band from Walmart.  Like Keith said, it helped.  At least, it allowed me to do my work around the house.  It took several months for mine to go away.

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 09:58:54 am »
I can't play tennis or softball now without one of those compression bands. 
I'm starting to think that the bees are keeping me...

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 10:18:17 am »
It was explained to me that the tendon is stretched in your forearm and becomes thin in the middle...kinda like laffy taffy or stretch armstrong (if you remember him? ;) ).  In worse cases, they cut out the thin part and sew the two good ends back together.  :o

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 12:08:55 pm »
Hi guys! Okay, so are you sure it's tennis elbow? the diagnosis is important because if it's tennis elbow it will involve tendons, if it's bursitis or arthritis it will involve the elbow joint, the stings vary in each case. Let me know  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 10:52:22 am »
How is that tennis elbow coming along?  Exercises will help.  http://www.hughston.com/hha/a.seven.htm

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 01:08:10 pm »
It's still there, 24/7.
Probably due to compensating, pain has migrated up to my shoulder and down to my wrist. If I rest things it seems to improve, unfortunately I am almost at the point where rest is out of the equation.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 01:27:12 pm »
Hi Perry! did you get the post where I recommened putting a bee directly on your elbow, and the area on your shoulder that is the most painful?

I have some pics on how to get the bees into a jar and use tweezers to apply the bees. Give me an hour or so, I have company and am feeding and sending them off.

Sorry we lost communication on your troubles  :sad:

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 05:30:23 pm »
Hi Perry- Until it's determined why your elbow, shoulder and wrist are acting up, this is what I would do with bee stings to help manage the pain.

I would start with anywhere on the elbow, one sting. I don't know when the last time was that you got stung, but should count on some swelling and itching. Everyone is different. As soon as the swelling is down which will be about 3 days, sting it again.

The long handled tweezer are the best, but you can use your wives if she will let you

Grap a bee at the entrance or wherever is convenient, try and get her at her thorax

place the bees bottom right on the skin where it hurts, wait a couple of seconds and gently pull her away leaving the stinger on your skin.

Once the stinger is in your skin, count 5 seconds the quickly scratch the stinger out.

You will feel the fire for about 10-15 minutes, then your painful area should be feeling better. This one stings should ease the pain in your shoulder and wrist. In time you will be putting a stinger in all three places.

Be patient with your healing process, take note of any changes. You can sting every three days. It will take anywhere from 15-20 stings in succession before the swelling and itching is no longer present.

Keep me posted, Jennifer  :)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 09:28:14 pm »
Hey Squirt, don't try this at home. ;D Jack
PS. i should be good for a while, i've been stung over 15 times the last 2 days :sad:. (working bees in rainy weather)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 10:02:23 pm »
Mee too Jack! plenty of stings this last month.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 11:40:47 pm »
"Hey Squirt, don't try this at home. ;D Jack"

thanks jack for thinking of me, i won't be for awhile i guess.  wish i could take stings like everyone else, someday! 

thanks jen for your informative pictures and post!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 11:44:54 pm »
You Are Welcome  :)

I also have pics of how to keep bees in captivity for a week for those who don't have hives near their homes ~

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 12:30:33 pm »
Hey Perry! I have an idea on how you can get stings on your elbow... you say that you always get stung on your hands and wrists. What if... you just rolled up your sleeve past your elbow when your working your bees? Or, if you want to really make the stings local, roll up your sleeve past your elbow, keeping the sleeve snug there, then put on a beekeepers glove high enough to expose the elbow and down a ways to the middle part of the lower arm. That is a perfect way to administer pain relief without actually using the bee yourself. I'm brilliant today  ;) 8)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 01:14:22 pm »
Hey Perry! I have an idea on how you can get stings on your elbow... you say that you always get stung on your hands and wrists. What if... you just rolled up your sleeve past your elbow when your working your bees? Or, if you want to really make the stings local, roll up your sleeve past your elbow, keeping the sleeve snug there, then put on a beekeepers glove high enough to expose the elbow and down a ways to the middle part of the lower arm. That is a perfect way to administer pain relief without actually using the bee yourself. I'm brilliant today  ;) 8)

Now that I could do!
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 01:59:32 pm »
 ;D Yay!

Remember that heat moves UP...  Venom is heat... so if you get stung on the elbow the pain relief will move into your shoulder  ;) 8)

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 09:56:18 pm »
I got tendonitis in my elbow about  5 months ago ( from a day of demolition work with a hammer)   It's been a very painful condition for me too, especially since I do physical work every day.  Like Perry said, it hurts with even everyday movements and at night in bed.    I think I'm finally ready to give the apitherapy a try, because it's just not going away on its own. 
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 09:58:15 pm »
Yay Pete! K, now, do you have any pain anywhere else? like wrist, thumb, shoulder, any fingers?

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 11:19:32 am »
I have recurring arthritic pain in my finger joints from gripping tools all day (and many cold days running chain saws in my youth).  Bee stings have been great at relieving that.   Otherwise the only chronic pain is in my lower back and my knees :)   That's the lot of a tradesperson in the flooring trades. 
My advice: worth price charged :)