Author Topic: Learned something  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Learned something
« on: January 07, 2018, 05:54:35 pm »
In Des Moines tonight. This has been my first experience with really cold weather since 1969.

3Reds learned that “lived with” snow looks and feels different from snow that falls and melts in a day.

I learned that 33* can feel warm after -3* weather.

I also re-learned that you can’t make a snowball in -3 to +7* weather.

Looking forward to temps in the mid 60’s when we get home tomorrow.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Learned something
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 06:29:09 pm »
Welcome to Iowa!  The winters can get cold, but there's no place I'd rather live.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:34:59 pm »
ehhh, -3 isn't bad until you also have 50 mph winds!   THEN it gets COLD!    :yes:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 06:23:12 pm »
wm, have you recovered from being in des moines???............ :D

i tell ya, this has been the longest coldest winter that i can remember.........lol, with what i can remember.......... :D

i was just in palm desert last week.......we flew out in sub zero temps and flew home in subzero temps in an ice/snow storm.........our driver could barely see out the window and we were sliding across the lanes on the ice on the freeway home.  don't get me started on the driver or his vehicle........ :D
i am getting to the point that warm weather year round might work for me.......... :D

funny thing though, the last day in palm desert, ca., temps dropped and were at about 60 degrees, (awesome to me) and the winds were at about 35 mph or more.  lol, amazing how the locals put on everything they can muster to keep warm.  the airport in palm springs is open (sonny bono) the palm trees were blowing all over creation and once in awhile ya might get nailed with whatever is coming off the trees........ :D same at the resort we stayed..... :D

not sure i would care for the heat there in summer months........but i really don't care for the heat/humidity here either............
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 11:13:29 pm »
I’m not sure if I’ve recovered or not. I felt warmer In Iowa’s dry sub freezing cold than I do in the humid  (99%) 40’s we had last week, and again today. Maybe it’s the humidity. Or maybe it’s because we’ve been hitting the mid to upper 70’s in between those cold days.

The bees don’t seem too bothered. I saw them flying this morning in drizzly 45* weather. I didn’t expect to see them until mid afternoon when we hit 55.

Tons of pollen coming in.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people