Author Topic: Honey spinning method  (Read 7760 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Honey spinning method
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 05:58:27 am »

How do you guys clean your extractor? Best I can think of is pouring boiling water from my kettle, but that'd be quite slow because my kettle only holds a litre of water.

I set my extractor outside and let the bees clean up any small amounts.  If there is a lot left over, they can drown in the honey.  Once that is done, I carry buckets of hot soapy water outside to the extractor.  I turn the crack and splash water all around.  I then repeat with clean hot water, turn upside down and let air dry.  I have some sharp surfaces inside my extractor, so I am very careful about scrubbing surfaces by hand.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 12:56:40 pm »
Boiling water will melt the wax and then it will be solidified on the surfaces, use warm water less than 130F. deg to rinse any wax partials away.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

omnimirage

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 06:42:44 am »
The bees often never fully cap a frame. Honey from a non-capped cell, is from my understanding not complete honey, tends to have too high moisture content and can ferment.

When can I spin extract a frame that isn't fully capped? Someone told me that as long as 80% of the frame is capped then you're okay but I'm not sure if that's true.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 11:16:29 am »
yes, 80 % or a little less. you can do a shake test if you don't have a refractometer. take the frame give it a hard shake face down. if anything fly's out, i don't extract it. too high in moisture.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor