Author Topic: Powerbee 12 Queens  (Read 1895 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Powerbee 12 Queens
« on: February 07, 2018, 01:31:42 pm »
Have any of you bought Carniolan queens from  this breeder??? Jack

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Powerbee 12 Queens
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 05:48:51 am »
Oops Jack!  Did you intend to give the breeder's name? 

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:26:25 am »
B13, yes i called him last week and ask if he was still selling queens? He is and said he get's $20.00 each, plus postage,i ask what ten queens would cost with postage and he said $235 and would have them from last week of March or to the 2nd week of April depending on the northern part of Calif. weather? Would like to know if any members have queens from him??? Jack

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 08:38:46 am »
I've not heard of him & when I searched powerbee12 all that turned up was this thread & a thread on beesource by him selling hives. there were no replies on beesource. I have bought & had good luck with 3 other northern California queen breeders. as with all breeders I think it's a hit & miss kind of deal. you get 2 good batches & the 3rd batch are mostly duds. I do think that the super early queens might get you by in a pinch but aren't bred as well as later queens & will not have longevity or will be superceded. a local club was doing a large club buy from a no. ca. breeder every spring. they were getting 2 batches. one in the 1st week of april & one in the 3rd week. MY experience was that the 3rd weeks queens were better. a supplier is offering packages that should be available on april 8th to be picked up near Keokuk ia. i'm hesitant because of the early date & that pkgs. are in screened containers. hauling them without knowing what the weather might be like is kinda' scary as it's a 3 hour drive for me.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 01:31:27 pm »
Yes Rober is right, the early queen matings can be affected by bad weather and cooler temperatures during the queen matings. With shipping  packages when it is cold place a tarp over them to slow down the drafts, the bees will create all the heat they need. It can be more detrimental installing the package into cold equipment in cold weather.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 09:32:14 am »
I thought about covering them with a moving blanket. I've never used a pkg. before, only nucs. if the weather is too cool I could assemble single deep hives in my shop & fire up the woodstove. it gets pretty toasty in there even with a small fire.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 12:08:38 pm »
. I do think that the super early queens might get you by in a pinch but aren't bred as well as later queens & will not have longevity or will be superceded. a local club was doing a large club buy from a no. ca. breeder every spring. they were getting 2 batches. one in the 1st week of april & one in the 3rd week. MY experience was that the 3rd weeks queens were better. a supplier is offering packages that should be available on april 8th to be picked up near Keokuk ia. i'm hesitant because of the early date & that pkgs. are in screened containers. hauling them without knowing what the weather might be like is kinda' scary as it's a 3 hour drive for me.

Agree with rober on early queens vs later queens.  The late queens seem to be bred a little better.  The weather has an influence in California too, just like here. 

I don't want to hijack this thread, but...
Rober, put those packages of bees in the cab with you.  If it's cold or raining during the drive back, the cluster around the queen could fall and she could chill.  Last year I put packages of bees in the cab with me and turned on the A/C.  It was that warm!  There shouldn't be any escapees.  A light weight blanket over the packages will keep them calm.  There may be a few bees clinging to the outside of the package.  A bee brush will eliminate them before you put them in your vehicle. 
I have installed packages in all kinds of weather. If the weather is really chilly or rainy, you can remove a few frames from the hive body and place your entire package in the brood box.  Remove the can of food first, of course.  Leave the queen cage in place.  Place the inner cover and lid on top.  Feed, Feed, Feed 1:1 sugar water.  Install your packaged bees ASAP.  They are stressed, the queen is stressed, and you don't know for sure how many days they have been in that package.  Hopefully not many.  Come back in a day or two when the weather is more favorable to remove the wooden package, place frames in place, hang the queen cage so they can take care of her.  Feed, feed,feed.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 01:10:09 am »
jack, no and never heard of the seller. a question.........how did you find this seller?

like rober, google is my friend and so the seller is showing up on beesource.  just asking.........

guess i am leary of someone who shows up out of nowhere selling queens, not saying that's not a good thing, just my reservations about purchasing from someone with no history.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor