Author Topic: Queen cells in new hive  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Mcedwar

Queen cells in new hive
« on: June 07, 2018, 12:19:00 am »
Hi all,

New to beekeeping. I have a single 10 frame hive.  The package was installed on 4/19/18. 20 days ago I had 4 + empty frames and added a second super. 10 days ago I inspected and everything looked okay, with 10 total empty frames. Today I found these queen cells.

Still have 6 + empty frames.

Here is the same frame 10 days ago.

Have they replaced the queen, or ?

Is it time to add a honey super and remove the queen cells?

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Queen cells in new hive
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 06:11:07 am »
Welcome to the forum Mcedwar!  Glad you joined us.
I may be missing something, but I see queen cups, which are empty, not capped queen cells.  Queen cups are common.  The bees are being prepared.  I see capped brood and larvae in your pictures as well as some drone brood.  So, it looks like she is doing her job. 
When you say empty frames, do you mean frames where there is no drawn comb?  Before putting another brood box on, I would let them draw out 7-8 frames, with comb, first.  Don't give them more space than they can handle.
It looks like you are still feeding sugar syrup.  That's good.  They probably need that to draw out comb. 
There are a lot of bees on the ground in your first picture.  Before placing frames on the ground be sure you know where the queen is.  She could get stepped on down there or get lost.  When working a hive, I like to turn the lid upside down.  Then I check the inner cover to make sure the queen is not on there and set that to one side.  Then I place an empty brood box on top of the upside down lid.  As I inspect frames, I place them in the empty hive body.  I keep them in order so that I can return them in the same order.  I try to keep the brood frames together.  Should the frame with the queen on it get moved she is less likely to get lost or damaged.  Everybody has their own way. That is mine.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 07:32:53 am »
I'm not seeing any pictures but, I agree with Bakersdozen. I also wanted to say WELCOME ABOARD and thanks for posting!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline PappyRick

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 08:05:30 am »
Welcome Mcedwar. 

I am in my second year of beekeeping and located in southern Illinois.  I couldn't see the photos as well, but I lost both of my hives last year and got 2 new Nucs this year. Loaded them on 4/27.  I have been concerned with the number of Queen cups I have seen in one of the hives in particular.  Yesterday's inspection noted 6 Queen cups - all empty.  The other hive has had Queen cups as well, but all were gone except one, which was being torn down.  I have basically left them alone with the Queen cups until I see something in them.  My fall back position if things change is to split the hive into a new Nuc, which is something I have no experience (yet) doing.

I added a second deep with built out comb a couple of weeks ago and have treated with oxytetracycline for European Foul Brood.  This was done at the recommendation of the State Apiary Inspector (Illinois).  She saw early evidence of EFB and her inspection was very educational for me.  In fact, EFB may have been the reason I lost both hives last year.  Apparently, we have a huge problem with EFB in my area.

It was an interesting exercise in obtaining the oxytetracycline.   The brood looks much better now, and I'm hoping will continue to improve.

I think you'll find this forum a great place to learn - lots of experience and knowledge is represented here.

PappyRick

Offline Mcedwar

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 12:17:51 pm »
Thank you everyone for your tips and advise. Yes, by empty frames, I do mean no comb, just plastic foundation. I probably added the second box before I needed to, but they are filling it up. I am in Illinois, and I have met our inspector at a HIBA meeting.