Author Topic: Movement of capped honey?  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Movement of capped honey?
« on: October 22, 2018, 05:48:00 pm »
Is it a no no to move capped honey to other hives in apiary , before winter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Movement of capped honey?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 06:25:33 pm »
I would do it as long as the frames of honey were mine and not frames from some one else.  There is a chance of spreading disease or contaminated comb/honey. I would also make sure I was not spreading anything like foulbrood from one of my own hives to another. I assume you are attempting to equal out the food sources. 
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 11:17:24 pm »
"Is it a no no to move capped honey to other hives in apiary , before winter"

mikey, what bakersd said about the frames.  your frames, not someone elses or a sick hive. if you are equalizing your hives, or boosting hives, i have done it many times, as long as the hives have adequate food stores, and for me, sugar bricks on top for extra insurance. 

one caveat......don't rob from a strong hive to give to a weak hive/problem hive that maybe should have been combined with a stronger hive that may not make it.  so many scenarios, if you could give us a little info?

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 05:45:21 am »
"Is it a no no to move capped honey to other hives in apiary , before winter"

one caveat......don't rob from a strong hive to give to a weak hive/problem hive that maybe should have been combined with a stronger hive that may not make it.  so many scenarios, if you could give us a little info?
I thought of this scenario after I posted my answer.  Trying to equalize colonies is one thing, but trying to salvage a weak or doomed hive in fall is a different story. 

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 07:05:36 pm »
My hives and frame's.

Box on left (2 yr. old feral) box on right ( Georgia nuc this yr. April-May) had already added 2 nd super to left box, was working out of town alot and didn't have another med. super so added another 10 deep. At this time we were coming out of flow, they capped 2 center frames, so moved those down to 2 nd deep on the outsides. Those outside in 2nd deep were half drawn.Q in hive had 2 center frames fully capped brood, so she was moving up&down laying. Weather starting to get colder at night mid 40's-36 mon. night. So yesterday afternoon 67° i removed 3 rd 10 frame deep, had a only suger stores no eggs or pollen. Took 1 med super off left hive,  both med. super were fully capped honey ( I don't use Q excluders.) I've not in 4 yrs. had a Q Move up to 3 rd 10 deep and lay. Brushed bees (just a few) off honey super , and moved over 1 frame at a time. Reinstalled miller top feeders with 2:1 and reduced entrances to small opening. There was alot of bees in the air and some fighting,  could have been other bees not sure . just thought at the time i made a mistake. But after dark all girls were back home. Today everything is good.
I maybe crazy but i believe that a fully capped honey super acts as a heat sink in the top of hive here during winter , i may be wrong. I'll find out. I'll use 2"  styren under tele covers and 2 -9" pie pan sugar cakes with 2" shims later

The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 07:14:05 pm »
Those pics. are from 3 1/2 - 4 weeks ago.