Author Topic: Canada’s bees are thriving: public needs facts, not fear  (Read 4422 times)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Canada’s bees are thriving: public needs facts, not fear
« on: March 22, 2014, 11:35:27 pm »
Food for thought, Interesting perspective.
http://www.guelphmercury.com/opinion-story/4417531-canada-s-bees-are-thriving-public-needs-facts-not-fear
 Mar 19, 2014  |  Vote 0    0
Canada’s bees are thriving: public needs facts, not fear
By Lee Townsend

News outlets throughout Canada are filled with stories about the imminent decline of honeybees and the calls by some beekeepers to ban the pesticides — called neonicotinoids — which they blame for their problems.

As a commercial beekeeper, I have a couple of points to make that may surprise some readers. First, the Canadian honeybee industry is far from collapsing — in fact, it's thriving. The numbers don't lie. Both the total number of honeybee colonies and beekeepers in Canada has risen dramatically since 2008.

My second point is that while the honeybee industry is stressed by many factors, there is one emerging threat that is becoming our biggest challenge. That isn't the many natural infections that plague bees, ranging from varroa mites to nosema to the emergence of the small hive beetle in Ontario and Quebec. The rising numbers of bee colonies and flourishing honey and pollination industries demonstrate that beekeepers can contend with those problems.

No, the newest and most preventable threat comes from the mistaken alliance some beekeepers are forming with environmental activist groups who would turn farmers into enemies and drive a wedge between the farming and beekeeping communities that depend on each other for their livelihoods.

So why are we consistently hearing reports of the demise of our industry, while the numbers clearly show this is not true? Simply put, the neonicotinoid debate in eastern Canada.

In 2012, Health Canada's Pest Management Regulatory Agency reported that 43 beekeepers in Ontario and Quebec had exposure to these products. In 2013, the number of beekeepers affected (including Manitoba) increased to 82, impacting some 7,115 colonies. For these beekeepers, this is a very serious problem that threatens their livelihoods. But, put in perspective, this represents only slightly more than one per cent of Canada's colonies over the past two years..

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to work together to find out what is really happening, in part due to the insertion of special interest groups like the Sierra Club. There is no denying that neonics, like any other pesticide, can be toxic to honeybees if misapplied. But these special interest groups have scared beekeepers, the public, and the media into believing these products are far worse than actual scientific data indicates. If it was the epidemic they claim, why is it only affecting one per cent of Canada's colonies? And out of that one per cent, we have yet to see data indicating exactly how many of those hives' sole problem was neonic exposure.

In addition, these special interest groups fail to acknowledge there are colonies in Ontario and Quebec that are exposed to neonics on both corn and soy, with zero problems. And look at Western Canada. On the Prairies, 70 per cent of Canada's colonies forage canola without issue. We are even exposed to corn and soy, and except for four beekeepers in Manitoba in 2013, there have been no issues there either.

Clearly there is need for further research, including the health status of these colonies prior to neonic exposure and clear records of the management practices of beekeepers. Most non-beekeepers don't realize that just as farmers use pesticides to keep pests off their crops, beekeepers use pesticides inside the hive to control for infestations such as varroa mites. There is nothing wrong with this, if it is done properly. But beekeepers should keep this in mind when they link arms with activist groups with a larger anti-pesticide agenda.

Both weak and unhealthy mismanaged colonies are more susceptible to neonic exposure, just as they are to any other stress. But up until now, little information regarding either of these items has been shared by the affected beekeepers.

The only way a solution will be found is if beekeepers, growers and manufacturers of these products come together to work for a common solution. Since the first problems were reported, both the growers and seed manufacturers have demonstrated a willingness to work with beekeepers. In addition, Canada's national bee organization, the Canadian Honey Council, has been working with all the involved parties on a solution.

Unfortunately, because of the antagonistic approach taken by some beekeepers — as well as the environmental groups for whom conflict is their bread and butter — this willingness to work with the honeybee industry is diminishing.

We depend on the growers for the land and forage our colonies rely on. The relationship between beekeepers, growers and the seed manufacturers is symbiotic. To let short-sighted agendas ruin that would be a tragedy. Emotional responses rarely solve problems.

Lee Townsend is a commercial beekeeper from Stony Plain, Alta. He has represented the beekeeping industry at both the national and provincial level over the past eight years.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Canada’s bees are thriving: public needs facts, not fear
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 07:15:50 am »
Interesting perspective, not one I am inclined to accept though.
Number of beekeepers has risen - probably. Here in Nova Scotia there were 82 new registered beekeepers in 2013 the largest increase in over 20 years. The vast majority (nearly all) of whom are hobbyists.
If, as the author of this article is contending, the number of colonies has increased, why then is Alberta threatening to "go it alone" when it comes to the importation of honey bees? Their assertion is that there is no Federal equivalent to the Provincial "Bee Act", giving them the sole right to determine the allowances of bee importations. Why are they pursuing this? Because Alberta and to a large degree Manitoba, are having difficulty in regards to maintaining colony numbers and are having to rely heavily on the importation of honey bees to sustain them.
As far as beekeepers aligning themselves with environmental activist groups, who else would they turn to for support? Surely not the industry that promotes the manufacture and sale of some of these products! Take a look at some of the biggest financial "supporters" of some of these Councils and Associations! No conflict there, is there?
http://www.honeycouncil.ca/sponsorship.php
No, sometimes the "other side" of a story needs to be represented in order for people to make a decision. The fact that this writer doesn't particularly like who or how it's done is the interesting part.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Ray

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:34:21 am »
Sensationalism = Money

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 12:26:50 am »
Lee Townsend
My second point is that while the honeybee industry is stressed by many factors, there is one emerging threat that is becoming our biggest challenge. That isn't the many natural infections that plague bees, ranging from varroa mites to nosema to the emergence of the small hive beetle in Ontario and Quebec. The rising numbers of bee colonies and flourishing honey and pollination industries demonstrate that beekeepers can contend with those problems.

Indeed, but they ARE problems and MUST be dealt with. Because the beekeepers are capable of dealing with it does not mean it is not a problem.

Lee Townsend
No, the newest and most preventable threat comes from the mistaken alliance some beekeepers are forming with environmental activist groups who would turn farmers into enemies and drive a wedge between the farming and beekeeping communities that depend on each other for their livelihoods.

I agree completely.

Lee Townsend
   There is no denying that neonics, like any other pesticide, can be toxic to honeybees if misapplied. But these special interest groups have scared beekeepers, the public, and the media into believing these products are far worse than actual scientific data indicates. If it was the epidemic they claim, why is it only affecting one per cent of Canada's colonies? And out of that one per cent, we have yet to see data indicating exactly how many of those hives' sole problem was neonic exposure.

Because there is NO MONEY in doing/providing the research that would prove that there are issues with pesticides, misapplied or applied correctly.
   David Tarpy from NSCU has done some pretty convincing research to the effect, that the queens from queen breeders we as beekeepers receive are as good, or better than they used to be, while in fact we see a 31% failure rate on those queens. What we receive, is a perfectly viable, healthy queen on average, but somewhere along the line, SOMETHING is causing MORE queens to fail.
   Is it the pesticides from mite treatment or neonics etc? Perhaps a combination of ALL of them? Don't know. The folks with all the money certainly are not going to waste money to find out.

Lee Townsend
In addition, these special interest groups fail to acknowledge there are colonies in Ontario and Quebec that are exposed to neonics on both corn and soy, with zero problems. And look at Western Canada. On the Prairies, 70 per cent of Canada's colonies forage canola without issue. We are even exposed to corn and soy, and except for four beekeepers in Manitoba in 2013, there have been no issues there either.

Sure there is. If they are exposed to it, it IS in their hive, in their food, in their wax and in their systems. I am not saying this IS what the problem is, but from what little research i have done, I HAVE to guess that the combinations of pesticides and fungicides are at least part of what is causing the problems. Be it CCD or failing queens/sterile drones.

Lee Townsend
Clearly there is need for further research, including the health status of these colonies prior to neonic exposure and clear records of the management practices of beekeepers. Most non-beekeepers don't realize that just as farmers use pesticides to keep pests off their crops, beekeepers use pesticides inside the hive to control for infestations such as varroa mites. There is nothing wrong with this, if it is done properly. But beekeepers should keep this in mind when they link arms with activist groups with a larger anti-pesticide agenda.

I will take issue with this as well. If ANY research had been done on combinations.. mitacides/pesticides/neonics/fungicides in combination, mixed, together I might be more willing to accept that there is not a problem from this direction. But in fact research that has been done has shown that the combinations of those pesticides etc are MANY times as deadly as any single one of them alone. I agree that the research done by the company that creted the chemical shows little effect on honeybees.. In the context of the research that was actually done. Monsanto and Bayer are both guilty of creating tests that both down to earth beekeepers AND top notch researchers can find MANY flaws with. On top of that, none of those products were tested in conjunction with other products likely to be used at the same time.
    Allowing those deadly combinations to build up in the colonies has no effect whatsoever on the eggs and larvae living in the wax it is building up and combining in?
   Basic common sense tells me otherwise.

Lee Townsend
We depend on the growers for the land and forage our colonies rely on. The relationship between beekeepers, growers and the seed manufacturers is symbiotic. To let short-sighted agendas ruin that would be a tragedy. Emotional responses rarely solve problems.

I agree with this last statement. I do not blame farmers, in fact, I don't even blame the chemical companies..  I blame the EPA for falling flat on its face in doing the very job they were created to do.

Dang Apis.. stop making me think that hard.. now my brain cell hurts!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 07:14:45 am »
Well Lazy, we agree on most counts anyways. :D

As far as beekeepers "linking arms" with environmental groups, well even the way that was worded is inflammatory IMHO. I won't go there.  ;)

Driving a wedge between farmers and keepers? This part is particularly frustrating for me. As beekeepers we keep being given information regarding the safe use and practices of the products being used by farmers in regards to spraying of crops. My frustration with it is, why are we being presented with this? The onus has to be on those who do the spraying! I can no more control how each particular farmer chooses to apply his product that he can control what I do in my hive. If you think for even one second that every farmer follows the "proper code of conduct" when it comes to applying some of this stuff, I've got news for you, they don't. And with no one around to properly "enforce" it, what alternatives are there?
I am inclined to surmise the problems in Ontario and Quebec were the result of improperly applied product, given the variant nature of the losses (locales).
IMHO, if a product is shown to be harmful to honeybees if used improperly, but you are going to allow it (EPA), then you had bloody well be prepared to then enforce the proper use when it isn't, and not just shrug your shoulders when peoples livelihoods are being destroyed.
I have come to the conclusion that as many of my hives as possible will be located as far as I can from areas where the use of some of this stuff is happening. In my limited experience, apple orchards, peaches, stuff like that are among some of those high on my list to avoid (I do have a yard that is located in an abandoned orchard).
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 09:20:48 am »
Good points Perry.

mistaken alliance some beekeepers are forming with environmental activist groups

I agree with the statement because I see it here. Farmers, beekeepers and activist groups fighting.   he also said SOME..  As I am not a part of that group I dont fit in SOME, and it is usually ME that is standing up and trying to repair the damage. My family, and I have been dependant on farmers all of our lives.  My grandfather opened a John Deere dealership after the war..  I know about every farmer in the area by first name. I still help many of them out when I get a call asking for help. I do not want to alienate even one of them.

I've talked with Andy Joseph, the state Apiarian about the laws pertaining to spraying here..  It IS the law that no product that has been marked harmful to bees can be sprayed within a mile of ANY registered apiary by a commercial applicator.
   The unfortunate thing, is that this law has no grip on private individuals. The farmers themselves, or people spraying lawns, gardens, etc..   Since the law only covers commercial applicators, there is really Nothing we can do if one of our locations is compromised. the burden of proof lays on us. WE have to prove it was a specific applicator..  The fact that ANYONE within a three or four mile radius could have sprayed that chemical makes any type of claim just about impossible.  Taking pictures of a plane spraying is helpful. But then you have to take samples and have them tested. Then have the bees tested, and the samples must coincide with each other etc etc...
  By the time its said and done...   most beekeepers don't report it,because its easier to replace bees than it is to deal with the legal hassles, not to mention paying legal bills...  the result is a MUCH lower report of incidents, giving false facts to people like Lee Townsend.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Ray

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 09:50:00 am »
One step towards helping the honeybee and mother earth is:
Prosecute and INCARCERATE the people responsible for violations of ALL pesticide laws.
Not the poor dummies hired to spread it, the boss man.