Author Topic: Trout and Hand Tied Flies  (Read 7492 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Trout and Hand Tied Flies
« on: December 09, 2013, 02:19:36 pm »
i love to flyfish, mostly rivers.  my grandfather made his own cane rods and flies.  i don't make my own rods, but this is what i do sometimes when i have time during the winter months, i tie up my own flies to fish with, some of these are tied to imitate insects trout eat, some not, or are called attractor flies:  (click on the images for larger if you would like) [attachment=7:143bwxsd]troutflies.JPG[/attachment:143bwxsd]
dry flies, fished on the surface of the water:[attachment=6:143bwxsd]drys.jpg[/attachment:143bwxsd]
very small dry flies, fished on the surface of the water:[attachment=5:143bwxsd]small drys.jpg[/attachment:143bwxsd]
hoppers:  trout LOVE hoppers:[attachment=4:143bwxsd]hoppers.jpg[/attachment:143bwxsd]
more hoppers......can ya tell i love hoppers too........ :lol:[attachment=3:143bwxsd]more hoppers.JPG[/attachment:143bwxsd]
a tying vise i use:[attachment=2:143bwxsd]medallionbig.jpg[/attachment:143bwxsd]
size comparison of some of these when finished tying, this is a dry fly, (parachute caddis) very small. size 16 or 18 hook:[attachment=1:143bwxsd]parachute caddis dry.JPG[/attachment:143bwxsd]
these are nymph flies, very small, and fished beneath the surface of the water:[attachment=0:143bwxsd]nymphs.JPG[/attachment:143bwxsd]

not really sure how much tying i am going to be getting in this winter, with this great new forum going.......so if i go MIA, you will all know where to find me........ :lol:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Trout and Hand Tied Flies
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 02:35:21 pm »
There will be a fine of 2 flies for each day you miss. I will PM you my address to send them.

They are great.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 02:41:10 pm »
Nicely DONE!!!
  I married my woman because she liked fishing and hunting...  She took me up to Maine for many years and "tried" to get me interested in fishing there.. she had some luck fishing for Stipers..  I enjoyed that but it was a tide controlled sport..    but... I missed the RELAXING part of fishing...
   In Maine.. you go to the river, start a fire, open the cooler and get to fishing.. your gonna get fined for no fire permit. Open container, and possibly trespassing.. Out here in Iowa..  the farmer stops in, says dont leave a mess, and has a beer with you.
  So I brought her back to Iowa..  took her out on the river.. her first ever fish was a 12 lb channel cat...  shes a fanatic now...  Take the boat out, fish from dawn to dark.. later If I have more fish than she does.. we cant go home unless SHE wins.. I once LOST by a half a fish...  it was small so she said it only counted as HALF.....      :shock:  :roll:
  Glad to see you enjoying it!!   Looks like this year may be cold enough to do some Ice fishing on the river.. havent had the tip ups or the auger out in over ten years...
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 03:20:27 pm »
Those sure are some nice looking flies!

I would be cross eyed just trying to get one put together.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 03:42:28 pm »
"There will be a fine of 2 flies for each day you miss. I will PM you my address to send them."

....... :lol:
yep g, it can make you go cross eyed tying the smaller flys, or using some of the materials.  a lot of materials i use are some sort of natural fur or hair of animal, feathers from birds.  when i first started about 20 years or so ago, my eyes were better.  now i have to use cheaters AND a desk top magnifier to see what i am doing.  i also tie bass and pike flies, and panfish, but many trout flies can be used for other species of fish.  

lazy, i was born and raised in western montana, 5th generation.  hunting and fishing was a way of life for my family and it put food on the table. i don't hunt anymore, but i sure enjoy fishing, and i love big rivers.  one of my brothers owns a drift boat and from time to time we float a nearby big river, fishing and just having fun. takes us all day. some great memories. fishing has taken me to some great places, some great scenery.  had some great adventures and look forward every year to more.  last year we floated down the big yellowstone just outside of livingston, montana with the same guide we use every year.  we had an awesome day that day, uhhh, the fishing too.... :lol:
Forum Sponsor

Offline minz

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 11:47:41 pm »
I guess life, work and family has really put a crimp in my fun time.  I need to get back to tying flies.  I have deer skin, roosters, and chucker that need to have some parts of dried skins turned into lures. A lot of hairs ears nymphs were left in the river!

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 07:18:03 am »

I totally agree with this! ;D
Very nice work B.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 12:35:04 pm »
thanks perry!  you guys would roll your eyes at the collection.....er tubs of materials, feathers, capes, fluff, fur, etc. i have.  i haven't had any time LATELY to tie any flys, so i don't owe any flys to iddee yet!
minz, i don't like to nymph fish, in the spring, when the waters are muddy you have to.  my favorite nymph to use is a prince nymph, tied as a dropper on a dry fly year round.  it works, and catches lot's of trout!  ps lot's of nymphs get left in the river, and once in awhile a dry snagged high up in a branch i can't get too....LOL!
Forum Sponsor

Offline Ziffa

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 09:21:09 am »
My brother and dad are fly fishing fanatics.  My dad ties his own flies, or used to.  It is such an amazing art.  I really like the grasshoppers you did!

I visited my brother in New Zealand and he took me fly fishing.  I finally got the cast down, but couldn't manage the hook. :)  Would love to go again.  The water in NZ is so clean and clear, you have to 'hunt' the fish and sneak up on them, because they can see you coming.  It is gorgeous and worth the trip.  If you ever go, let me know - I know a great guide!

love,
ziffa
"There's a spoonful of honey where your heart should be. . ." - The Wood Brothers - Honey Jar.

Offline Marbees

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 09:45:53 am »

I totally agree with this! ;D
Very nice work B.
Applied art, very nice 8)
Bee Remarkable

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 12:39:24 pm »
ziffa, i have never been to new zealand, would like to go someday.  i also have friends who travel there to fish yearly.  brown trout are wily fish, and picky about what they will take, and the waters on my river, and spring creeks that flow in are also pretty clear, so you have to sneak up on them a little bit. out of all the flies i fish with, grasshopper season is my favorite, and they are fun to tie.
Forum Sponsor