Author Topic: Super absorbent Polymer  (Read 1283 times)

Offline LogicalBee

Super absorbent Polymer
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:58:25 pm »
Has anybody here ever tried using a super absorbent polymer to absorb moisture/condensate in a bee hive over winter?  Just wondering.  I use top vents in the winter to exhaust moisture, but I would have to concede I’m losing heat in the process too.  The super absorbent polymer stuff is popular with gardeners for keeping potted plants moist between waterings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superabsorbent_polymer

It is pretty amazing stuff.  Each little crystal will grow in size like 20x.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Super absorbent Polymer
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 04:40:01 pm »
I would be concerned that it might wick away too much moisture, the bees do need some.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 07:37:03 pm »
like perry said, i would be concerned about absorbing all the moisture.  i think sometimes we over think things when it comes to our bees. for years i did nothing except leave an entrance reducer on and a top entrance cut out of the inner cover, with nothing above. i moved to insulation on top. i have used straw/hay in a super above the hive. this does work well. i did try homosote, if you ask me this can be deadly to bees. it does absorb moisture, a lot of moisture, but soaks it all in, and when a thaw comes, rains back down on the bees.....my HO.

another experienced member here, robo, doesn't use an upper entrance because of the heat loss. we all have different methods and different situations, we do what we think is best and what works for us.  i always keep an open mind though on what works for others similar to my climate.

the only way to find out is to try it. but not just one year, several years to see how it works, and share your experience with it.  ;)

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LogicalBee

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 12:00:03 am »
Insulation and a small top entrance has worked fine for me in Michigan, but I’m always looking for ideas to fine tune my keeping.  I’ve never tried the homosote, but figured it would be a mess.  Having used the super crystals in some gardening settings, I don’t think they would ever rain moisture back out.  They seem to give up their hydration by sublimation, as opposed to condensation. 

I figure using the crystals would be akin to beeks who put plain sugar in their hives to feed the bees and absorb moisture.  The crystals would be kind of the high tech approach.  :)