Author Topic: SHB in AL, GA, MS??? Late spring...any other states are welcome to report!!!  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Intheswamp

• BeeWeather.com
This is predominately directed towards AL, GA, and MS as we share a smiliar climate other than MS and GA having more coastal areas than AL.  But, if you're from a different state feel free to chime in...

I'm curious about the beetle populations that you are experiencing.  I'm almost scared to say it , but so far the number of beetles that I've found in my hives have been very low.  In talking with my mentor yesterday he is experiencing the same thing as is his best friend.  We had the winter/ice storm in late January with extended freezing temperatures along with other spells of subfreezing temperatures...it was a cold winter for Dixie.  I'm curious whether this may have reduced the beetles numbers.  Being as the beetles are not as big of a problem up north it makes me think that they *are* susceptible to cold winters. 

But...will they explode later during the summer dearth?  :-\

What are ya'll seeing right now?
Thanks,
Ed

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
Re: SHB in AL, GA, MS??? Late spring...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 12:18:09 pm »
 I am not seeing to many at this time but as it warms up for a while you can bet they will explore to way to many, that is why I put oil pans bottom boards on my hives, they really do help in keeping the beetles down.

Ken

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 06:56:20 pm »
So far I am not seeing very many at all. We will see what happens in a month or so.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:45:38 pm »
I was thinking that very thing today.  However, it's still early in the year, relatively speaking.  But I'm hoping they stay minimal this year.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 11:08:17 am »
FWIW. we had a cold winter in North Central Texas too.  In the fifteen hives I've looked at this year have only seen five or six SHB, most in the last week.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Intheswamp

• BeeWeather.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 07:03:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Seems maybe the cold did beat them up a little bit.   Lburou, certainly your report is worthwhile.  I hope the numbers stay down relative to previous years and that we have some more cold weather this winter to hurt them some more.  Of course, it could just be a quirk of some kind.  We can't afford to get complacent towards them.  As has been mentioned, they may later come back with vengeance.

Ed

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 08:46:46 pm »
Since we are talking ShB here i would like to know how many treat with boric acid? How effective is this for you? Im out of oklahoma and have seen a few I would like to nip them in the butt be for they become a problem.

Offline ablanton

• Blanton Apiaries
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 10:42:00 pm »
Keep watch and don't let them sneak up on you.  Last year, I saw very few all Spring & early Summer.  Then, late July & August they exploded.  Had a couple hives that I thought may not make it.  I was actually hoping for frost.  Luckily, the girls all held strong.

So far this year, I have seen ZERO in my main yard which is in full sun.  The one at the house that gets several hours of sun doesn't seem to have any yet, either.  The three at the house in dappled sunlight have a few.  I usually see one, maybe two, each time I open them up.
Andy

Offline rcannon

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 09:07:08 pm »
Hey, Ed. I'm not in the area you were referring to, but I've noticed in the last month or so that SHB numbers are low for me, too. Early in the spring I thought they were going to tote my hives off, but they seem to have disappeared. Thank goodness. I don't have any explanation for this , I didn't do anything except mash them when I saw them.

mamapoppybee - I have been wondering the same thing. I've never used boric acid, but I was thinking about it this spring. I went as far as to buy some, but I didn't use it. I'm very hesitant to put it in my hives, but I'd try it before I lost a hive to those little rascals.