Author Topic: Found a few wax moths in one of my hives  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Bamabww

Found a few wax moths in one of my hives
« on: July 10, 2014, 03:38:36 pm »
Tell me if I did the right thing or what I should do different.

During a regular inspection I found 3 wax moths on the inner cover after I took the top cover off. Killed two of them and let the other get away. Removed the inner cover and then each frame finding very little capped brood, no eggs at all and never found a queen after looking very carefully for her. Bee numbers were down considerably from 2 weeks ago. Saw no damage as of yet from the wax moths but their presence told me the hive is too weak to keep them run out.

I borrowed a frame from a strong hive with capped brood, larvae and several eggs. Placed it in the bottom deep beside the little bit of capped brood and moved all the stores in from the top deep to the bottom deep. I found 3 or 4 more wax moths in the deep and killed 2 of them. Removed the top deep so all I have now is a single deep with 2 frames of at least some capped brood, larvae and eggs and several frames partially filled with pollen and capped honey. All frames have drawn comb. There is plenty of empty cells for the new queen to use in a few weeks. That's taking for granted the bees will choose to make a new queen from the eggs I gave them. I reduced the entrance to the 4 inch slot on the reducer.

Then I crossed my fingers, said a prayer, rubbed my good luck charm and shared this with you. Anything I should or shouldn't have done?
Wayne

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Re: Found a few wax moths in one of my hives
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:05:41 pm »
Sounds like what i do Bama, depending on how many workers left in the hive though, i might have put two frames of brood if i had it with nurse bees? If i don't see queen cells in 5 to 8 days i would combine it to a strong hive being this late in the year. Jack

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:04:05 pm »
 :yah: :agree:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:36:46 pm »
Yeppers just what Jack said!

Only other thin I could add is to freeze the ten frames you pulled off for a couple of days.

Sounds like you caught this one just in time.

What could have happened to the queen?
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 07:09:14 pm »
Only other thin I could add is to freeze the ten frames you pulled off for a couple of days.

Sounds like you caught this one just in time.

What could have happened to the queen?
I did put the 10 frames of drawn comb in the freezer. Hopefully I did catch this one just in time. There are still a few thousand bees left so maybe ......

About a month ago, June 17th, I pulled a super of 9 frames almost all full of honey off this hive so this was a productive hives early on.  I have no idea about the queen. My journal from mid March full inspection makes no mention of problems of any kind except for a supercedure peanut was on one frame near the top of the foundation. Except for that note, I marked it "Ready to go" in my comments.  And it almost did just that!

I appreciate all of your responses. I'll check again in a week and see what's going on then.
Wayne

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 12:03:26 am »
i will echo with what jack said wayne......keep us posted on the progress.....

hope she pulls through, if not, like jack said, combine..... :yes:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline rcannon

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 08:50:26 pm »
Yep.

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 10:12:40 pm »
well, here's a progress report. Looked at the hive again today and the bees are busy. and found this:

Now I'm gonna feed them some 1:1 sugar water to help them get on their feet during this dry spell we have now.
Wayne