Author Topic: Re: hive yard maintenence  (Read 17254 times)

Offline gunsmith

Re: hive yard maintenence
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 02:35:13 pm »
My sure fire method for mowing around the hives without getting stung is...........having my wife do the mowing. :twisted:

Offline Zulu

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 12:02:24 am »
Been lit up only twice in 3 years of mowing around the hives.

Once when using the neighbors ride on mower, different engine I am sure, as a week before was no issue on my mower. Man they really got me that day, about 20-30 tags before I got wise and bailed off the running mower as it wasn't moving quick enough.

I start mowing a fair distance away, then move closer and watch the mood.   I do a big circuit around the area so they used to the noise.

Once in awhile the one hive sends out some scouts ( and it's always the same hive) , and I just know to keep moving away and give them a miss that week. Never wear a suit either.
Zulu's Bees

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 05:45:34 am »
Hi momapoppybee,  Like someone else said, I keep roofing material under the hives to keep the weeds down.  When I mow, I blow the clippings and exhaust away from the hives.  No problems and no need to suit up.  They just retreat back into the hive when I  pass by.   Also, if the yard needs mowing, do it before pulling your honey supers not after.  My husband learned this one the hard way.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 07:19:15 am »
Hey Greg. That lawn looks about the height after I mow.  :lol:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 10:32:16 am »
:D    Actually I hit it with the Bush hog on back of the fergie trying to turn too short.. BAD thing about the LIVE PTO is that no amount of pressure on the brakes is going to STOP it until that mower winds down..  If your quick you can pop it out of gear and THEN stop..  But try to think about that while getting STUNG! Pop it out of gear.. BAIL and run!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 10:38:42 am »
You're backward. Live pto will let you stop.Fergie doesn't have live pto. Get you a slip clutch on that pto shaft before you get hurt.

Similar to this, but be sure you get 1 1/8 and or 1 3/8 where you need it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Overrunning-Coupler-PTO-Adapter-Female-1-125-6-Spline-Male-1-375-Clutch-Pin-/121145972227?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item1c34dcd603
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 05:22:21 pm by iddee »
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 05:04:42 pm »
We've never had any trouble mowing or weed wacking around the hives.  We just don't spend a lot of time near them. Might do the front and one side then move to another area then come back 5 minutes later.