Author Topic: 3 gallons and a deep to harvest  (Read 1351 times)

Gypsi

3 gallons and a deep to harvest
« on: July 26, 2014, 09:13:39 pm »
When I was in the requeened main hive a couple of weeks ago they had 6 deep frames of the clean them up box (after extraction) packed with honey. I expect to pull that box soon, and borrow the group extractor.

I got 3 gallons from the pair of hives I found queenless after swarm. When the mated queen turned back up she got last fall's freezer frames of stores, fortunately thawed, and I kept my harvest.

so I guess roughly 30 lbs of honey. Plus whatever is in that deep. Reducing the number of hives in the neighborhood to fit the forage helped. I sold one, my neighbor sold his, far as I know only 2 hives working the area.   Sugar bill is sure better

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: 3 gallons and a deep to harvest
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 03:02:03 pm »
Good to hear Gypsy Finally some honey It been a dry spell for you. the ratio of bee forage to colonies is one of the most important factors when it comes to hive build up and honey production. In areas of limited forage swarms and feral hives will also place more demand on the little forage available.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:52:11 pm »
congratulations gypsi!  finally, a great sweet reward for you after all your hard work, and all you have been through!  enjoy!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Gypsi

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 12:48:31 pm »
I held off on the deep. For a while we were getting a little rain out of season to keep a flow, I may have to leave the deep on for the bees.

At least I got my 30 lbs. Thank you for the congrats...and your help getting there