Author Topic: Mites - the beginning...  (Read 19286 times)

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
Mites - the beginning...
« on: July 28, 2014, 10:46:15 am »
We did our weekly inspections this past Saturday (well, it was two weeks since the previous one).  In Hive #3, by far the STRONGEST hive, we spotted ~6 varroa mites.  We eliminated 4 of them.  Of the ones we got, 3 were on bees, 1 was on the comb, the other 2 were on bees, not sure if those are the one's we got or not... So we DEFINITELY saw 4, maybe as many as 6.  We went through each and every frame quite meticulously, they started getting annoyed, but that's all we saw.

In order to nip this in the bud and prevent it from becoming an issue, how should I proceed?

Thank you folks!

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
Re: Mites - the beginning...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:37:48 pm »
...... We went through each and every frame quite meticulously, they started getting annoyed, but that's all we saw.

In order to nip this in the bud and prevent it from becoming an issue, how should I proceed?

Thank you folks!

Unless you've checked EVERY BEE, top and bottom, front and back meticulously, and every drone cell too, you can rest assured that you've only seen the tip of the iceberg.
This is the time of year when the varroa mites start to magnify their populations. 
I would recommend treating as soon as you can.

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:06:53 pm »
What would you recommend I treat with?

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 02:50:27 pm »
Your best advice for that question woud best be directed to beekeepers in the US.  Here, in Israel , for example, oxalic acid treatment hasn't yet been put into use. 
Today, the local recommended treatment is with chemical impregnated sticks that are placed between the brood nest frames and left in place for several weeks.  This year we are using a new chemical and I don't remember its name.
I can tell you that two years ago I tried fogging with food grade mineral oil and was totally dissatisfied with the results.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 03:03:28 pm »
When it it time for me to treat, I'll use oxalic acid -however, as others will tell you, it is not approved for mites in the USA.  I have used hopgaurd with okay results, but it costs a few dollars per treatment.  There are various forms of formic acid and thymol that are also approved, and they do work.  This article contains answers to your question, near the end of the article.

The products I hope I never have to use are the ones containing fluvanate and coumaphos, they leave residues in the honeycomb.  HTH   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 04:40:55 pm »
I have used Mite Away Quick Strips with very good results the last 2 years (Mass and NS are pretty much the same temps). Be careful of the temps if it gets hot during the 7 day treatment. I have seen some queens stop laying for the first few days the strips are in, but they resume shortly after that.
Ef's advice is spot on, if you can actually see that many on the bees, rest assured they are there in greater numbers.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:12:18 am »
OK.  I ordered my bucket-o-MAQS last night.  Ordered from Betterbee.  Ended up being cheaper and I think I'll get it faster.  So I'll obviously have to treat Hive #3 for 3 weeks.  But I have two questions about that...

1)  All the instructions say on top of the brood area, but the how-to pictures show in between the upper and lower deep.  I have brood in both.  Do I put the pads in between or on top and then and empty duper above that for aspiration?

2) Hive #2 is only 17" away from Hive #3.  I saw no signs of mites in hive #2.  Should I treat with 1 pad for 3 weeks as a precaution?

Thanks again for your help!  My poor babies have bed bugs, well comb bugs.  :sad:

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 12:26:10 pm »
First, they treatment period for MAQS is only 7 days. At the end of the 7th day the spent strips can be removed, or allow the bees themselves to dispose of it.
For a double, put your strip/pads on the top bars of the lower deep, set your second deep on that, and then add an empty medium with frames of foundation or empty comb on top.
I have heard reports from some that did not put on that top empty super and a few saw some brood mortality.
Fortunately they have also started marketing 2 packs for the hobbiest market. Nothing worse than having to buy enough to treat 10 hives and having to throw away eight of the treatments. I supplied a few folks with strips from my supply to save them money.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 12:59:38 pm »
So I'm a little confused now.  I did see the smaller packs, but it seemed to make more sense to get the pail.  What's the shelf life?

The reason I wrote 3 weeks of treatment is because I read on one of the sales sites, or maybe directly per the instructions, a reminder that the brood cycle is 21 days... So if the mite larva are in the cell with the bee larva, wouldn't you need to treat for 3 weeks to fully cycle all closed cells?

Should I worry about Hive #2 next to Hive #3?  A single strip, maybe?

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:57:01 am »
I have not used MAQS, but know that some treatments are effective through the cappings of the cells. You may want to check on that.
   Drifting bees and drones will transfer mites to other hives.. If they did not do this we would not all have mites in our hives right now, so I would recommend treating them all, but I would also recommend checking each of them, depending on your method of treatment.. and again, I have not used MAQS..
   Hopguard..   I have found it effective if used back to back, three treatments in a row..   but this can only be done once a year according to the instructions.. maybe the Hopguard II is better?
   Look into Oxalic Acid Vapor treatment..   No, it is not approved for use in the USA..   I keep hoping some billionair decides to become a beekeeper and puts out the money to get it approved.. until that happens it will remain a means of bleaching the frames in your hives..  BUT!!!!  The good news is, when you bleach those frames, you kill a LOT of mites, and to date, there is nothing detrimental to the bees, brood, wax or honey.. apparently it is only detrimental to mites..    ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 01:48:17 pm »
My MAQS arrived yesterday.  I will be putting the strips in this weekend.  I did call NOD Global (the manufacturer) to ask a few questions...  I hope other newbies read this, good info.

1)  MAQS only have a guaranteed shelf life of 1 year... HOWEVER, if you please them in the freezer they will be good until you need them.  The formic acid is infused in a chocolate-like substance in/on the wick.  If allowed to warm up, it will melt off and lose it's power.  If you freeze it, it will stay good for however long you need it to be.

2)  I ordered this because I' beginning to see signs of mites in one hive.  This yard has two hives in it.  They recommend treating any hives that are in the yard to be safe.

3)  My hives are new this year.  They were packages (not nucs) that had a very late start.  Although these two hives are quite strong, they recommend only using 1 strip in each hive, then another strip in each hive in 4 weeks.

4)  MAQS DOES work through the cappings.  I had ordered the 10-pack bucket because the way I was reading/interpreting information about MAQS is as follows:
WRONG *** a package treats for 7 days + larva life cycle is 21 days = 3 treatments (packages) needed *** WRONG
RIGHT ~~~ a package treats for 7 days.  You may want to sticky-board test in 14 days, then maybe treat again after 4 weeks. One package needed ~~~ RIGHT

NOD seems to be a very friendly, helpful company and they welcome questions and calls.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 09:20:12 am »
It sounds like you have a handle on your problem, be sure to keep us in the loop about the way it turned out for your bees.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Marion

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 10:06:35 am »
This info is so useful to us. I did the Vaseline board under my screen bottom board for 3 days and came out with about 10 mites which would be about 3 or 4 in 24 hours. I feel like I need to treat my bees as well. Will check out Hopguard, MAQS and OA Vapor.

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 01:26:49 pm »
This past Sunday (081011) was Day #7 of the MAQS treatment.  Maybe it was the time of day I tried to do my inspections (5:15/5:30-ish), but neither hive seemed to want me around.  Both of these hives were rather eager to get me away.  I hope it wasn't the formic acid that made them shoo me away.  Has anyone experienced this before?  I think it was just the time of day, nearing it's end.  I was only able to remove the compostable application pad from Hive #3. 

Testing:  These two hive do have screened bottom boards, but I never removed the 1/2 insulation board sealing off the screen.  I'll do that mid next week so that I can put a sticky-board (probably vaseline, like marion used) underneath to see what/if anything comes down.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 01:57:08 pm »
Hi Cpn - Yes, I've used formic acid quick strips, I think they work well when used according to instructions. Yes, there was a little testiness after the fogging. I would be testy too is some giant came up to my house and fogged the blazes out of it  >:(
But it was just a few days more when the testiness settled down. And, then I noticed that the bees were happier and more energetic than before the fogging and unloading of all those mites.

I used an Oxalic Acid Vaporizer now, and noticed right of the bat that it didn't change anything about the bees behavior. Killed the mites and the bees remained happy.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 07:55:17 am »
Did our inspections yesterday (Aug 17th.  I could only get 1/2-way through Hive #3 before the told me to go away... But we did get all the way through Hive #2.  It's been 2 weeks since we put the MAQS in... One strip in each.  We saw 1 mite walking around on the comb of Hive #2.  From what we got through in Hive #3 we didn't see any.  I'll probably call the manufacturer again... but should I re-treat them?  Should I wait until net weekend, or should I get the strip in as soon as possible? 

Thank you guys (and gals)!

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 08:05:08 am »
Jen, I assume when you mention fogging you are referring to Oxalic and not Formic.
The strong vapours of the formic can make the bees testy so that is not unusual.
I would give them a break before hitting them again. I have always used 2 strips, the full dose, and have experienced a few queens shutting down for a few days in the beginning, but they have always rebounded extremely well after treatment.
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 02:33:02 pm »
Perry- "Jen, I assume when you mention fogging you are referring to Oxalic and not Formic

Hi Perry  :)  So MAQS is more of a vapor.. not a fog? Seems to me I didn't see a fog come out from the hive last fall, sketchy memory. But I have seen a fog come out from the OAV.

MAQS = vapor ?
    OAV = fog ?

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 02:42:30 pm »
Hey Jen:

The only vapourization I have heard of is Oxalic, and sometimes mineral oil. I have never heard of anyone vapourizing formic. The formic fumes themselves do the deed, there is no vapourization that I'm aware of. I could stand to be corrected.
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 02:52:54 pm »
a fog, a fume, a vapor?  I must have missed that day in school  :D