Author Topic: Anyone tried it?  (Read 4626 times)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline rcannon

Re: Anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:00:17 pm »
I think this is what an Australian beek referred to on Bee Master as a Chux cloth. Over here they are called Handi Wipes, I think. They're a blue and white speckled cloth type towel. The procedure is to lay one on the top bars and the bees chew it up, trying to remove it. It becomes real fuzzy and catches the beetles by the legs and they can't escape.
Someone tried it on Bee Master and to the best of my memory, didn't have much luck with it. I seem to think it was Ed ( intheswamp ). Could be wrong about that. I'll do a search over there to verify if what I remember is correct.
Please note that I am assuming that this is the same thing. I have not seen it or tried it.

It would be sweet if it would work.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 09:01:59 pm »
Is that image at the bottom of the page the Beetle Bee Gone?  If it is, that looks like a Handi-Wipe.  Those used to be popular back in the 60's-70's.  I don't know how the beetles become entangled in the chewed up sheet.  I'm curious, but would like more info.  One can still buy Handi-Wipes locally and skip the shipping charges.
I remember an old timer(said with the greatest respect) that they used handi-wipes in their hives.  I think he used handi-wipes instead of newspaper for combining hives.  Maybe he had something there! C:-)
It might be interesting to try this time of year when the hives are populated and not much nectar around.

Offline rcannon

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:13:37 pm »

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 05:10:32 am »
ah my good neighbor and on rare occasions employer.  perhaps I will ask them about this since I do not know anything about this item.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 08:05:29 am »
ah my good neighbor and on rare occasions employer.  perhaps I will ask them about this since I do not know anything about this item.
Thanks tecumseh, I would appreciate hearing any info you can gather.

Offline ablanton

• Blanton Apiaries
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 10:32:00 pm »
I have some Handi-Wipes.  I use them in the kitchen.  Maybe I'll throw one in a hive and see what happens.
Andy

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 10:14:46 am »
I have some Handi-Wipes.  I use them in the kitchen.  Maybe I'll throw one in a hive and see what happens.
Same here.  Nothing to lose, right?