Beekeeping > Products Of The Hive

Pricing Beeswax and Beeswax candles

<< < (2/6) > >>

LazyBkpr:
Beeswax..  When I tried to look it up I saw prices from $4.00 a lb locally to $14.00 a lb.. the 14 a lb was for RAW beeswax on Amazon..   LOL, I wont be buying any there for sure!

Brushy Mt's price for raw settled beeswax;

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/1-lb-Raw-Settled-Beeswax/productinfo/450/

Jen:
Whatever you do Yankee, don't short yourself, especially with the holidays coming up. People pay the price for nice beeswax candles. Humble is not an option here  ;) 8)

Perry:

Skeps = 1.8 ounces = $3
Pair of tapers = 3.7 ounces = $6
Beeswax bar = 1.1 once = $1.50
Emegency taper = 8.0 onces = $11

Prices (mine) vary according to market conditions. Only sell wax bulk if you have so much you don't know what to do with it. Prices here just went up to $20 a kilo from $15 last year.
Lots of people looking to buy wax to make candles and sell them, so why not do the value added stuff yourself?  ;D

pistolpete:
I was stunned when I found out that bees wax sells for roughly the same as honey by weight.   It takes me about 4 times the amount of work to produce a pound of clean cappings wax as one pound of honey.   If you can get $15/pound you're doing great. 

I used my wax to paint my plastic foundation.  You brush it on with a foam brush so that the edges of each cell get a nice build up of wax.  If you are not stingy, one pound does about 15 frames.  This may seem like a lot, but the difference is quite amazing.  The bees re-shape that wax to start the cells, making the first 1/3 of the cell wall with what's there.  The frames take just a couple of days to get drawn instead of a week.

Bakersdozen:

--- Quote from: pistolpete on August 21, 2014, 11:44:07 pm --- 

I used my wax to paint my plastic foundation.  You brush it on with a foam brush so that the edges of each cell get a nice build up of wax.  If you are not stingy, one pound does about 15 frames.  This may seem like a lot, but the difference is quite amazing.  The bees re-shape that wax to start the cells, making the first 1/3 of the cell wall with what's there.  The frames take just a couple of days to get drawn instead of a week.

--- End quote ---

I do the same, only with a small foam roller brush.  I never have enough wax for making crafts with so I just reinvest it back into my hives.
When pricing candles, I don't think you want to price them according to how much wax you have in them.  You also have to consider your time and additional materials.  I would seek out other beekeepers in your area (local bee club or farmers market) and find out what they are charging for their products.  It will give you an idea of what is fair.

Here's what Michael's craft stores sell beeswax for: http://www.michaels.com/artminds-candle-making-natural-beeswax/10173317.html#q=beeswax&start=2

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version