Author Topic: Pollen and Water  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Pollen and Water
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:26:09 pm »
My bees are bringing in tons of pollen and gathering lots of water. Is my assumption correct in that they need water this time of year so the honey doesn't crystalize during winter? I read this the other day ~
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Pollen and Water
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 09:18:07 pm »
jen, bees are just as much pollen hoarders as they are nectar hoarders, it is said, if it's available it's collected and also collected according to a hives needs.......pollen is much needed year round, raising babies, complete nutrition for themselves and much needed when the queen starts laying in late winter, early spring.  water(not stored to my knowledge and experience) is used for many purposes by bees; the bees utilize water to cool the hive (evaporation like an air conditioner), for larval and egg development, for the nurse bees that feed developing larvae, and during winter months to dilute honey crystals to a liquid form. for those of us in northern winters, water comes from moisture collected in the hive itself.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:20:31 pm »
Riv- "and during winter months to dilute honey crystals to a liquid form.

That's it right there! That's what I read just recently. Might have been in one of the books a very nice lady gave to me  ;)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:38:32 pm »
I noticed when decapping honey frames this year that in some frames there is alot of cappd pollon in with the honey? I have seen this many times over the years and have wondered why they do this? Anyone know?? Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:17:21 pm »
I've seen that as well Jack, wouldn't it be difficult to get clean honey from those frames. I think that when there is a rush on pollen, they fill in cells, then when there is a run on nectar they top it off with that. They can always rearrange later... I thought it might be bee bread but after looking it up I don't think so now.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 01:30:11 am »
"I noticed when decapping honey frames this year that in some frames there is alot of cappd pollon in with the honey? I have seen this many times over the years and have wondered why they do this? Anyone know?? Jack"

i really don't know why jack, i saw this myself this year, i have seen it in years prior also. we had a good pollen year, a fairly good nectar year.  i just think bees stored the extra in the honey supers but have no answer, i think they hoard pollen as much as they do nectar, or maybe the foragers got mixed messages on what they are supposed to be bringing in and flight control and hive management  sent them to the honey supers with the extra pollen........ :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor