Beekeeping > General Beekeeping

You ready for spring?

(1/8) > >>

LazyBkpr:

I have sixteen hives built.. built two for Daughters boyfriends father for Christmas..  he expressed interest in bees to her, and has asked her several times if I wanted to put hives over there, and if I was interested in helping him get started.. so hes getting the hives and beekeeping for Dummies with my number written in the cover.. will see how that goes!!!
   Cut and assembled about 150 frames today...   Over the next few weeks I'll probably build enough components for about ten more hives JUST in case.. with 16 ready I should be well set for splits and swarms/cutouts but doesnt leave any for the spring panic when ppl want to buy them.. always better to have TOO MANY ready than not enough..  Need to build about a dozen Nuc's as well..   Got my Pollen Sub ready..  Hopguard, new suits..  just have to wait for thaw to set new stands..  Nuc's and queens ordered..
   5 of my current hives will get split and the new queens put in. May try to pull a few nuc's out of the other hives and let them make their own queens.. all depends on what I have that survives the winter..
   Swarm boxes built.. swam lure bought.. need to order Lemongrass Oil...    and WAIT until spring has sprung....  is it here yet??? >:(

Crofter:
I have to make up 10 medium supers. I bought 10 deeps from Mann Lake a few weeks ago and have to put them together and assemble wax and wired frames for them. I am sitting at 8 hives now and really want to keep it there or a few less but I dont want to be caught flat footed if they all survive and some need splitting. No heat in the shop so I am just mentally building bee equipment. I could work in the mud room but then I would have to finish bottling up the honey and such that never really happened since I extracted. It takes so little to keep me busy I tell you its simply amazing!

Perry:
I've got lumber milled to build 60 deeps and 60 mediums. Just have to cut to length, cut rabbets, and put them together.
Need to order frames and foundation for them as well. When you sell nucs, you don't notice right away, but suddenly you're short of frames!  :o
I need to cull some old boxes, I'm short of honey supers (mediums) and folks want to buy boxes when they buy nucs.

LazyBkpr:
It takes so little to keep me busy I tell you its simply amazing!

I tried that excuse but the wife doesnt believe it for a moment!!!   She is of the oppinion that I should be capable of completing her entire to do list in about an hour and a half!!   I tried to explain that MY to do list had priority... but I am sure you know how THAT went....

Perry.. you Paint up those old boxes and sell them as Seasoned Hives!!  hehe.. I can only imagine how fast you go through frames in the spring!!

I was hoping to head to the big chain store tomorrow.. will see how much SNOW we get tonight.. I may end up back int he shop (heated!!!!  I'm so spoiled!) building more frames/boxes/inner covers/bottom boards/ tele covers/ Nuc's/swarm traps/stand for my table saw/table for the decapping tank/running wires for the extractor/  etc etc etc etc etc etc...  It doesnt take much to keep me busy, but the list is so LONG.. and thats MY list.. you dont want to see HERS!!

iddee:
Perry, about Feb.15, contact lazy's wife. Tell her you clean garages for gas money only. She will be happy to give you gas money there and back.   ;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version