Author Topic: Bacteria In Bee Honey Stomach  (Read 4816 times)

Offline Scott Derrick

• Swarm Commander Premium Swarm Lure
Bacteria In Bee Honey Stomach
« on: October 05, 2014, 02:56:48 am »
As a beekeeper, I know the value that the honey bee offers to the world. It is obvious, due to the decline of the honey bee and all the attention CCD has brought to it’s man made condition, that there is more value to this little insect then we truly realize. I believe as science continues to peal back the layers of complexity of this incredible insect, history will show that is one of the most if not the most valuable insect known to mankind. As a beekeeper, I believe I can make a huge impact on my local neighborhood, city and state by being a guardian of these fantastic friend that we have. My voice and energy are important to their survival and ours.

http://www.swarmcommander.com/honey-bee-stomach-bacteria-show-potential-antibiotic/
Scott Derrick
Creator: Honey-B-Gone, Swarm Commander

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Bacteria In Bee Honey Stomach
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 09:47:28 am »
Interesting article.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 12:12:46 pm »
The conservative viewpoint found on the subject of honey, in Wikipedia, states that there is no evidence supporting the use of honey to fight allergies, burns and coughs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey  I am sure many of us advocates for natural medicines would argue that point.

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 07:55:19 pm »
Hoping that my own honey would help my allergies has not yet made any difference yet. After two months, not only are they not better, I think  maybe a little worse.  Don't know how long its supposed to take. But, even if it doesn't work, I'm still going to love me some of my own bees honey.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 08:15:25 pm »
Keep in mind, it isn't the honey. It's the pollen in the honey that helps. If the pollen in the honey isn't from the plant you are allergic to, it isn't going to help.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Gypsi

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 10:12:15 pm »
Fall dark honey which has ragweed pollen helps my allergies, spring honey not so much, as all I am really allergic to in spring are oak and maple.

Offline Scott Derrick

• Swarm Commander Premium Swarm Lure
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 06:16:28 pm »
Keep in mind, it isn't the honey. It's the pollen in the honey that helps. If the pollen in the honey isn't from the plant you are allergic to, it isn't going to help.

A point that need to be repeated again and again! Most people don't realize this.
Scott Derrick
Creator: Honey-B-Gone, Swarm Commander

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 06:18:40 pm »
Yep! I would agree with that... and that's one of the reason's I only filter once, keeping as much good hiveness in the honey  ;)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 08:40:35 pm »
i have some customers 'swear' that my honey helps them with allergies. (i don't have allergies except to bees...... :D)
i also have several vets that purchase honey from me to treat animals with and prevent infection and healing.  they swear by this.
my honey is filtered once out of the extractor, and then one more time, or maybe two, afterwards.  i ask, cuz i can provide them with it straight out of the extractor, but it doesn't matter to them.  the vets just want honey from a beekeeper.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 08:47:07 pm »
So Cool that the vets are using honey for the animals, that makes me happy  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 09:45:21 pm »
yep, it's kinda cool, my vet of 20 some years started using honey in her practice.  sounds off, but it's not, and she has been educating me on the benefits of antibacterial and healing  properties of honey in her practice. let's say she get's an animal with some sort of injury or a treatment of a wound that requires surgery, and/or stitching.  she treats with the usual antibiotics, but what she does is on the wound, or the stitching is slather honey on it and place a gauze bandage over it.  she and other vets in her office are using honey as an antibacterial and healing 'compound'.  they say it works, speeds healing with no infection, and fights potential infections better than other common treatments.  i have other vets that purchase from me for the same reason.

what is really cool though is, i have been in their office at times for a vet visit, picking up a prescription, food, or delivering honey, and at the same time a client that has had their animal treated with my honey.  the staff or the docs are quick to say, this is the beekeeper that supplies the honey.  that's what's cool, to hear their comments and thoughts on what they think the honey treatment has done for their animal.  a thank you, lots of questions, and maybe an order for a jar of honey.  ;)

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor