Beekeeping > Pests and Diseases

Oxalic Acid Discussion

<< < (2/46) > >>

riverbee:
scott, you have done some amazing research and provided links to information on the treatment of mites with OAV, that many new beeks will be looking for info on to help them decide. thank you!

i would just like to clarify something:

"I am VERY MUCH WITH Mrs. River (Riverbee) in her philosophy of dont treat if it is not needed. I feel that OAV gives me that freedom. The freedom to wait and watch, and yet, be ready to FIX a problem in mere moments."

on another thread we were discussing apivar and the use of OAV with honey supers on:
How do you Fellow Beekeepers like Apivar 

in that thread there were comments about OAV, and that it was not approved for use  while honey supers are on in the USA, Canada or Europe.  some beeks have used OAV with honey supers on. 

my comment was, with any miticide, there is residue:  "i just don't think we ought to be treating bees with any chemical/drug while honey supers are on." and "IF i treat, it is when i see the need to."  i want to clarify and say, i do not advocate not treating your bees.  i keep russians and mutts of. these bees are relatively resistant to mites therefore i find it not necessary to treat unless i see a problem.  we all have different situations and genectics of bees we keep which perhaps and does command a different philosophy, but i also think, as i said, any hive treatment for any bee malady ought to be done without supers on. 

LazyBkpr:
I agree completely, I believe one of the links I posted has information on the amount of INCREASE in Oxalic acid in the hive a specific time after treatment..  Those measurements are done in Parts per million, In some cases no increase is found, and in others VERY little is found..    Honey, has Oxalic acid in it naturally, obtained from the pollen/plants the bees visited, the increase after treatment is less than negligible..
     I am still looking for several links to information I have found in the past. Two of them  were studies done on the use of Oxalic Acid Vapor, one in France and one in Canada... not having much luck but am still looking.

tecumseh:
I am impressed with you work here LazyBkpr.   Perhaps you should have been a research academic..... but being a beekeeper is much more fun.

Perry:

--- Quote from: tecumseh on October 29, 2014, 06:39:10 am ---I am impressed with you work here LazyBkpr.   Perhaps you should have been a research academic..... but being a beekeeper is much more fun.

--- End quote ---

Research Academic? That would be taking the easy way out tec. Now being a beekeeper, that's tough. :)

While I do not disagree with almost everything Scott has posted on this subject, I am bound to not use any material not approved for use here, to do so would set me up for life altering legal problems. Because I sell honey to the public, what I believe has little to do with what I am allowed by law to do legally. There are lots of folks that use homemade remedies in thier hives, and they may or may not neccessarily experience some success using them, but if anyone should ever get sick and it could be traced to some unapproved method being used............................ C:-) :sad:

LazyBkpr:
In my searches I have come across situations where beekeepers were fined for those home made remedies.

I know someone who is a prominent beekeeper who uses just such a remedy with great success.. But I do wonder if the threat he constantly lives under is worth it.
   You can use OAV legally Perry, here, the State Apiarian is more concerned with things that might cause problems, and in a roundabout way says he uses OAV and talks about the evils of using OA wash, so i can only assume he has tried that as well..  If he is ever replaced with a young gungho inspector there will likely be a lot of us upset.  However..  unless they make it illegal to use the wood bleach to polish my frames while they are still in the hive I will keep doing so, until i no longer need that crutch to keep my bees alive.   O:-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version