Author Topic: 1st crack at creamed honey!  (Read 8877 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
1st crack at creamed honey!
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:46:00 pm »
I went out today and got everything I need to make a batch of creamed honey. Almost every time I'm at the market I have at least one person ask if I have any creamed honey. I read a bit on Apis's thread, watched a couple of you tube videos, and chose a path up the middle.
I bought a kilo jar of what I consider to be one of the nicer creamed honeys as a seed starter.

I then picked up a paint mixer attachment for my drill. I'll run it on slow so as not to incorporate too much air, blend rather than whip.

I'm still trying to figure out if the ratio is 10%, or 10 to 1. I've warmed up my honey to 90 degrees (not to 140 as I think this would cook the honey as well as destroy any yeast), and will filter it again through some purpose filter cloth to remove any crystals that may be in there, and then I will add the seed and blend it in. I will wait 1 day, and then blend it again, and then jar on the 3rd day.
Anyone have any advice?

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: 1st crack at creamed honey!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 08:52:23 pm »
10% or 10 to 1 isn't that critical. 10% would speed it up a minor bit. Otherwise, no difference.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 09:11:35 pm »
It is a little more work, but I find your fellow canuck's method produces a more pleasing product.   You don't need his tool, but he describes the process.  Just try not to get too much air in it with your paint stirrer.

http://www.beeworks.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=113

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Marbees

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 09:31:24 pm »
Followed these steps and made a terrific creamed honey, will be making another 60 lb soon.
Bee Remarkable

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 09:45:26 pm »
Thanks Marbees. How long after you blended in your seed in, did you wait to actually jar it?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Marbees

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 09:53:38 pm »
Filled jars after mixing and left boxes outside. It was 12 C temperature, back in October. After 2 days came back to find the tastiest creamed honey ever. :)
Bee Remarkable

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 10:38:11 pm »
Hey Perry, do they have big man shops in your area. :laugh: :laugh: Jack
Sorry buddy, i couldn't help it. ;D

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 06:14:01 am »
Hey Perry, do they have big man shops in your area. :laugh: :laugh: Jack
Sorry buddy, i couldn't help it. ;D
Yes they do Jack, you'll have no problem getting a new wardrobe when you're visiting. ;D
Forum Supporter

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 09:34:12 am »
That creamed honey sure looks good!  When you market this, what is a typical price compared to pure honey?  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Marbees

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 09:59:59 am »
All my honey is the same price. $10/500 gram jar. Whether it's a buckwheat, creamed, houseblend or wildflower
Bee Remarkable

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 10:16:45 am »
marbees, thanks for the video!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Marbees

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 10:29:16 am »
You are welcome  :) At the end, when you do that toast test, word perfect comes naturally from your mouth.  :laugh: :laugh:
Bee Remarkable

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 11:20:41 am »
$10 for 500 grams? I like the sound of that. I only get $6 for 500 grams.
I don't see why one wouldn't charge a bit more for the creamed as it involves an extra step or process? :-\
Forum Supporter

Offline Marbees

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 02:22:10 pm »
You may charge more, of course, most beekeepers charge more for buckwheat too. It's just me  :) KISS laziness.
Also I saw jars of creamed honey ~ 360 grams with the same price as 500 grams of liquid honey, from the same apiary
Bee Remarkable

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 09:31:35 pm »
Well, got it done today, but am really not too sure how it's going to turn out. I had my bottling tank set at 100 degrees after I filled it up with some granulated honey. I'm thinking I didn't let it heat up long enough cause as I was draining out the honey through a fine filter to catch any fine crystals it kept plugging up and slowed down so much I gave up. It would have taken me hours just to get the 18 kilos I needed out of the tank (I decided to make a double batch, 20 kilos).
I just went and found another bucket that hadn't set up bad and topped it off to get the 18 kilos, and then I blended in the 2 kilos of seed. The drill attachment worked well. I will give it another stir tomorrow and then jar it up.
This may have just been a screw up kind of day.
Forum Supporter

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 09:51:01 pm »
Where are your pictures perry?   ;D
Lee_Burough

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 12:15:03 am »
I'll tell you, someone just gave me a small jar of creamed honey from Savannah Bee Company. That has got to be some of the best honey I have
tasted. The consistency was crazy smooth. Like whipped butter.

I have tried to make this before but nothing even close to this. So Perry, keep us posted cause I want to learn to do this.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 06:29:27 am »
Sorry I didn't get pictures (yet), I may try and get some today when I give it a final stir and hopefully jar it. I'm at the market today so it will be a busy day. I was not happy about having to top up the batch the way I did and I really hope it doesn't affect the final product. I was hoping to have absolutely zero crystals in there when I seeded it.
You're right on with your appreciation of the creamed honey. The stuff I couldn't get out of the jars as seed went into my gut off my fingers and was it ever smooth.
Forum Supporter

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 03:27:32 pm »
I haven't studied any recipes on making creamed honey---I sort of came to it by luck. 
A few short comments:
1. I  would never heat up the honey in preparation for creaming. That could melt the seed crystals and eliminate them entirely.
2. I've never used seed honey from any other source than my own crystalllized honey.
3. Whipping the honey serves the purpose of physically breaking down  large crystals into smaller ones ("seed" size) and spreading them evenly throughout the honey.
4. IMHO, the mixing process is the key to a successful start. The next important step is the cooling of the mixture (honey + small crystals) quickly.  Rapid crystallization (encouraged by cooling) speeds crystallization and prevents the creation of large crystals thus giving you a nice smooth texture.

Since you use your paint mixer, you might try to add a little color to your cream  ;D
But really----it just dawned on me, you could try using a minute amount of food coloring, prepare holiday colored batches and market them in  layers inside your jars.  It might be a dud but if done nicely, it could be a holiday hit.  ;)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 05:16:06 pm »
I never heat honey above what I believe to be a "natural" temp in the hive, but at this time of year almost everything I have is now starting to set up. There is no way to add seed to something that stiff, so I have to warm it up to evenly distribute the seed.
I do, however, think your idea of food colouring for holiday seasons is absolutely brilliant! This could be a marketing dream, even doing layers if that possible. You're a genius Ef! ;D
Forum Supporter