Author Topic: Getting Ready  (Read 3333 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Getting Ready
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:09:44 am »
Two weeks ago i had 8 tons of turkey manure spread on my 5 acre truck patch, boy did that stink. :o Four days later we had a light shower that helped with the stink, it dried out enough to plow last Saturday so i plowed 3 and 1/2 acres of it, and woke up this mourning with 4 in. of snow and a 1/2 in. of ice under it. If and when warm weather ever gets here the patch should be in good shape and ready to disc and plant. When i was a youngster we always cleaned the chicken house out in the fall and spread it on the garden, but they claim?? turkey manure is better. This is one case that something good comes from something bad. :D Jack

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Getting Ready
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:47:32 am »
Sounds like a bunch'a  s**t  to me.   :P
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:53:56 am »
The worst manure I have ever smelled is hog manure. This stuff will clean out your sinus in a hurry. The farmers around me spread liquid cow manure in the spring. This stuff is bad too when they apply it. Turkey manure makes nice fertilizer for vegetable crops in containers.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:10:25 am »
I know what your talking about Ray, my neighbor up on the hill south of me is a hog farmer, it used to be bad, but he built a lagoon and i don't smell it like before, or i've just got use to it. ;D Jack

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 12:14:18 pm »
Two weeks ago i had 8 tons of turkey manure spread on my 5 acre truck patch, boy did that stink.

I got a dumptruck load of manure delivered once for my garden.  There was weird and hateful looking weeds all over the garden after that.   :o

After that, I've stayed with mushroom compost (there's a big mushroom processing plant about  20 miles from here).  Plus I've got several compost boxes/tumblers.  I think I'll skip the manure from now on.   :eusa_think:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 12:34:03 pm »
Anyone that's ever driven by a mushroom farm would remember it! :o
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 05:51:37 pm »
The turkey manure i bought came from a Mennonite's brooder house, should be only manure and a little saw dust. (no weeds) Jack

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 01:01:20 pm »
mushroom compost is some of the best stuff ever! Then there is that abundance of chicken spit we use. I sure can grow some pretty squah.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 11:00:09 am »
I buy those 250 pound lick tubs (protein ) for cattle, after the plastic tubs are empty i drill holes in the bottom bury it all but 2 inches in the ground, fill it full of rotted cow manure. I planted Rubarb and Gooseberries in them last year and they grew like crazy, not much weeding just mulch good. Going to put manure and potting soil in one as soon as the manure pile drys out and plant icycle radishes and carrots in one, the soil will be loose and fertile to give the room to grow long and not break off like they do in my garden plot.Farmers never throw anything away, we will find a use for it. :D Jack