Author Topic: 1st swarm  (Read 4472 times)

Offline JUDELT

1st swarm
« on: March 15, 2015, 03:54:52 pm »
well, got home from church about 1:15 and saw a swarm in a medium size Magnolia tree! The problem is they are clustered around the trunk  not hanging from a branch! For 2 hrs. we tried scooping , brushing into a bucket. we got about 1\2 of them in to  a hive  box. we had to come in and take a break. this got them really mad and I got a few stings on the hand, too! I don't know how to get them down, unless they move onto a branch  or something . hope we got the queen. i'll go check on them soon.

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
Re: 1st swarm
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 04:22:04 pm »
This is when a bee vacuum would be nice lol. Spraying them down with sugar will greatly reduce flying bees. Longer a swarm hangs the more honey in their honey stomach is consumed more become capable of stinging.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 04:25:49 pm by barry42001 »
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 04:31:23 pm »
Took the words right out of my mouth  ;)  what would be that sugar/water mixture Barry?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 04:45:53 pm »
I had a swarm like that once on a fire hydrant. I sprayed them with 1:1 sugar syrup. I wonder what would have happened if you had smoked them a little or a lot. I'm trying to put myself in your situation and what I would do. I don't want my girls to swarm, but I will take the situation.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 04:53:09 pm »
Thinking here.... I would get a hive box with frames. Put the bees from the bucket into the hive box, all the time looking for the queen. Then take the hive box to the trunk of the tree and try and get the bees to march into the box. They won't go tho if the queen isn't in there. Maybe they would go if the hive box had a little drop of lemongrass oil. That way they would just walk right in.

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 05:04:01 pm »
Yeah, Jen. Ultimately, the queen in there helps, but I have seen bees march into a box without a queen as if they are just tired and want to find a home fast. I think what you said would help a lot. One time I had a bunch of bees that was difficult to collect and I put the box close, then smoked them from the other side. Went in like little soldiers.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 05:14:50 pm »
I just set a hive up next to the swarm and they walk in. Never had it to fail.

Also never used all new hive. Always had at least one drawn comb frame.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 05:17:13 pm »
Cool! I haven't actually done it myself, but three of the ten swarms I had last year went to a friend of mine. I watched how he did the box/march thing. He would set it up and wait a bit, when he saw the queen move into the box he would leave until evening, come back and get them. That's what I was thinking with Judelt's situation in that the bees are close to the ground.

Oh! Iddee just stepped in.

I remember that now, having one or more drawn frames in the hive box  :)

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 05:38:09 pm »
I was thinking about the sugar water, too.  I have a bee vacuum.  If you think about it, if you successfully capture a swarm with it, it pays for itself the first time you use it (if you consider the price of bees and what that swarm would be worth).
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 05:39:05 pm »
I just set a hive up next to the swarm and they walk in. Never had it to fail.

Also never used all new hive. Always had at least one drawn comb frame.

Did you bait it or was it just the smell of the comb that brought them in?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 05:56:00 pm »
I wouldn't smoke them may cause the swarm to abscond unless you have secured the queen. 1-1 syrup simulates nectar. Iddee was right about using a hive as closely as possible to the swarm.
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 06:06:54 pm »
I think no smoke as well.

Slow- where did you get your vacuum, or did you make one?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 06:31:21 pm »
No bait, no sugar water, no smoke. Just the smell of a hive and a dark area to hide in.
The bees will start the march, and the queen will go right along with them.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline JUDELT

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 08:08:21 pm »
thank you all for the good advice. the bees were about 20 feet up around the trunk. we got about half and thought we had the queen because they all went into the hive. went back out right before dark and they were all gone! looked around the property, but couldn't find them! boy, was it a big swarm, too!

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 08:31:22 pm »
I think no smoke as well.

Slow- where did you get your vacuum, or did you make one?

I got it from Brushy Mountain.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 08:35:50 pm »
thank you all for the good advice. the bees were about 20 feet up around the trunk. we got about half and thought we had the queen because they all went into the hive. went back out right before dark and they were all gone! looked around the property, but couldn't find them! boy, was it a big swarm, too!

The first swarm I had here was up in a tree about an hour before I got home from work.  I stopped at the hives and got suited up and got the ladder and me and dad started up with a bucket to get them.  As soon as I grabbed the limb they were on, they flew off and were never seen again.  What a helpless feeling.   :'(
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 08:46:32 pm »

It's my experience that if you can dump the bees into the top of the hive box, and there's a queen excluder under the hive box, that keeps the queen in the box and the swarm will stay.  Of course, if they're marching in the front door, the queen needs to be able to get into the box.  I have also closed up the box for a couple of days on a swarm that I caught (I gave them provisions in a super above) and they ended up staying, too.  The tricky part, I've found, is getting them into the box.  Although I haven't tried Iddee's way yet.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 08:53:00 pm »
sorry to hear you lost the swarm judelt...

i also don't use smoke, any bait or sugar water, but the sugar water would work to keep flight down. i usually use a single deep with some older drawn comb.

another trick if under a time constraint is the use of a little fishers bee quick. a couple summers ago, i took a rather large swarm from a neighboring property who grows grapes, and has an outdoor restaurant. the grape vines the bees swarmed to were about 30 yards from his outdoor restaurant, and customers close by. he wanted the bees gone or he was going to spray them after he closed up for the night (not in front of his customers). i tried to explain to his head lackie that i would get them but wanted to leave the box in place until dark at the base of the vines, or come back in the morning. he wanted them gone. i cut the branches from the vine the swarm was on and gently laid them in the deep. grape vines sticking up everywhere, and bees hanging out and wouldn't fit, couldn't put the lid on, and some bees took flight. i didn't want to shake them in right away, because of the bees that will take to the air and return to the grape vines. i also saw incoming scouts. the scouts were flying around where the swarm had been, i used the fishers bee quick and misted it on all of the surrounding vines. initially, if any landed outside of that, i shook the vine, and misted the bee quick. 
i lifted the vines from the box and whatever bees were left on the vines, and shook them all in the box.  by then, many of the bees had left the vines and were checking out the deep and the entrance, and were fanning, and were fanning from the vines that were sticking out of the box...... :D
the bees that took to the air and attempted to return to the vines i had misted with the bee quick, soon wound up marching right back in the box.  i asked the owner to give me a couple more hours, sure enough, i went back just before dusk, and they were happily settled in.

i never got a thank you from him. 

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 09:10:04 pm »
Very clever river!  So one more item to add to the swarm kit.  :yes:
I'm kind of surprised he let you cut the grape vines.  Maybe there was no time to ask as he was in a great hurry.  ;D

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 09:19:49 pm »
Never heard of Fisher's Bee Quick, do tell  :)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 09:22:19 pm »
Most of the ones, not all, that left have been the ones I left on location. If I got what I could, along with the queen, then moved them a few miles, they mostly stayed. My theory is if you leave them in place, the scouts return with an acceptable home and they go with the scouts. If i take them away before the scouts return, they don't send out new scouts.

Fischer's bee quick, or Scott Derrick's honey-b-gone, advertized on this forum, does the same thing. Bees don't like it.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 09:49:00 pm »
"I'm kind of surprised he let you cut the grape vines.  Maybe there was no time to ask as he was in a great hurry.  ;D"

....... ;D
bakers, lots of history behind what happened and that day, we don't get along, and all of the neighorhood for how he steps on them to get what he wants. i told him through his lead lackie that he sent to get me, (wouldn't talk to me personally) i would have to cut the vines after i went to take a lookie see. he was more concerned because his 'customers couldn't stroll  through his vineyard', had signs up all over......he wasn't happy about me cutting the vines, but he wanted them gone that night or he would spray. also, there is no other beekeeper in the area....he had to rely on me..... ;D

i got free bees......... :yes: it won't be the last time.

yes i have used the fishers bee quick on several other occasions.  like iddee said honey b gone would work as well. they don't like it.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 10:35:44 pm »
Iddee- "My theory is if you leave them in place, the scouts return with an acceptable home and they go with the scouts. If i take them away before the scouts return, they don't send out new scouts.

This is the way my friend retrieved three swarms from me last spring, sounds logical