Author Topic: Garden planting  (Read 3935 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Garden planting
« on: April 21, 2015, 09:11:18 am »
Finally the garden dried out enough that we got the onion plants out, going to get the beets and radishes out today before the rain coming in tonight. The Rhubarb is going gangbusters  and the Gooseberries are blooming, the girls are all over the blooms.I can always plant things later, but you won't hear me complain about the rain. 8) Jack

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
Re: Garden planting
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:07:30 am »
Since 4/1/15 I have reported 6.41 inches of rain.  The ground is squishy when I walk around.  But things are growing like crazy and the clover is starting to flower out.  I don't think I'll do much of a garden this year.  I'm thinking maybe some tomatoes and peppers in a container garden.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:58:16 pm »
Still can't plant tomatoes and peppers yet, our last frost date is about the 2nd to 3rd week in May.  Did plant strawberries, raspberry bushes and rhubarb though.  Then the rains came so have to wait for the ground to dry out so I can plant lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, broccoli and yummo beets!  My daffodils are in full bloom, the forsythias are starting to pop, the willows are coming out too and my magnolia is in full bloom.  I love Spring! 8) 8) 8)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 10:07:53 pm »
we need the rain too jack!

last weekend we planted the onions. tators were to be planted this weekend. our weather took a nose dive, from 70's to 30's and 40's this week with a little rain, but mostly snow and sleet.  supposed to be this way for a couple weeks, cold, rainy, snowy weather.  i won't complain about the rain, and the snow really hasn't had much accumulation.

nothing else will get planted that a late frost might get until after memorial weekend. 
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:30:37 pm »
After the rain we have had, nothing can be planted for awhile but seaweed, and without salt, it probably wouldn't live.  :o
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 11:31:32 am »
Tomatoes and peepers started from seeds the first week in March are doing very good right now. I cant plant them until the 30th of May. I plan to start Brussels sprouts and cantaloupe from seeds soon. I'm behind one week already with the strawberry plants. I hope to have them in by May first. Weather here is to cold to plant strawberries.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 02:48:48 pm »
We had frost warnings for last night....ran around covering up the nectarine tree, strawberries and raspberries.  Wish Mother Nature would not tease us with beautiful temps and then pull the rug out from under us.  I learned something new at a garden class last week.  Do not use the deer netting to cover your blueberries, etc.  The birds can get caught in at and injure themselves.  They suggested that we use tulle (the stuff that tutus are made from) that can be purchased at your local fabric store.  Lightweight and the sun and rain can still get in.

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 03:46:14 pm »
I had 22 degrees last night. I use 30 gallon plastic trash barrels to cover my blueberries.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 06:46:23 pm »
Do not use the deer netting to cover your blueberries, etc.  The birds can get caught in at and injure themselves.
   So....   my chair, a rum and coke and the shotgun would be frowned on as well?    ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 07:34:44 pm »
My youngest brother lives in the city and has blueberries,he says the Robins get more berries than he doses, :o so he bought a pellet gun. >:( Jack

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 08:27:05 pm »
LazyBkpr......definitely a frown :'(    Head for the tulle and no pellet guns please!!!!!

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 02:13:55 am »
We had frost warnings for last night....

There was frost around here in the higher elevations.  It got down to 38F here.  The blackberries are blooming, so that makes it Blackberry Winter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackberry_winter
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 12:30:39 pm »
Awoke to the remnants of frost all over the lawn.  So glad I covered up my nectarine tree, etc.  I can't wait to pick one off the tree and sink my teeth into.  I planted a nectarine tree because I am so tired of buying them at the store and they are rock hard, you bring them home with hopes they will ripen and they rot before you even get a chance to enjoy them.  I may only get a few because it is a young tree but that first juicy bite will be worth it.  Now, I just have to figure out a way to keep the squirrels off  :o