Author Topic: 21 day check  (Read 1864 times)

Offline badgerbeekernube66

21 day check
« on: June 03, 2015, 11:35:21 pm »
 I like what I see, however I am a new bee! Anyone see anything out of place please let me know

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: 21 day check
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 11:49:13 pm »
Hey badger! I love when there are a lot of pics. I'll get back to ya in a bit  ;D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:09:24 am »
Looks like they are drawing pretty well for you!
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 12:15:26 am »
I remember when my hives had all that pretty white drawn comb. Nice work Ms. Queen  ;D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 02:25:41 am »
  :photos:
 If I read your pics correctly, the first and the last show only one side of the outer frames. Pictures 2/3, 4/5, 6/7 and 8/9 show both sides of your inner four built frames.

The queen seems good and very active--nicely examining and laying in the outer cells that ring the earlier cells that she laid in and are mostly already capped.  The inner cells that have not been laid in mostly contain nectar/honey which explains why she did not fill them in.  In other wordds, the empty cells are not an indication of her ineffieciency at laying but rather an indication of competition over who gets to the empty cells first--the queen or bees needing available cells for nectar.

I didn't see any stored pollen to speak of, but that is probably only the result of the bees using it as soon as it's brought in, for their intense brood raising at this early stage in the hive's development.  As the new generation emerges and strengthens the work force, more bees will be able to build up pollen reserves.
In other words, as you said, "I like what I see".

I would make only one recommendation at this point.  Take note that the bees are building faster toward one edge of the frames.  Except for the last frame, I would flip the direction of alternate frames, so as to encourage more construction toward the other edge of the foundation.  The reason for not flipping the last frame is based on my assumption that there is no brood on the outer side, and I wouldn't, at this early stage of the hive's development, when the work force of nurse bees is limited, place an empty side between the last frame with brood and the next one.

It looks to me like you can expect this hive to develop really nicely as the season moves ahead.  :) :goodjob:
The following users thanked this post: badgerbeekernube66

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 05:47:55 am »
Definitely feed heavily, and as Ef said, pollen supply is low. A pollen patty wouldn't hurt. Other than stores, it's looking good.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 06:24:06 am »
Good advice all around, nothing I can add other than thanks for the pictures. When you think about it, how amazing that only a few years ago the ability to post and diagnose pictures was beyond what most of us could imagine. ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 07:12:12 am »
Looking good!

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 11:35:02 am »
I agree. Looks good!

Offline Garden Hive

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 04:54:38 pm »
FEED until they stop taking it. They have enough to survive and grow slowly....but nowhere near enough to thrive. Tim

Offline badgerbeekernube66

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 07:48:53 pm »
Thanks everyone for the insight. We do have a pollen patty in the hive though they don't seem altogether that interested in it, whereas in our first hive the ladies have dropped the hammer on it. We are in the.middle of a honeysuckle patch that is in full bloom, and have seen some of the girls hitting it up pretty hard.
I'm glad that we all enjoy the pics. My wife and I love taking them, so expect more to follow. :)

Offline Garden Hive

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 09:06:57 pm »
Just to add a little more....

They are likely working hard on any bloom. But what you provide by feeding is hard for them to pass up during all of the Dark Hours of night. This allows for easy work for them. Tim

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 11:34:23 pm »
hey badgerbeek, great photos!

just want to echo what has already been said, keep feeding until all the frames are drawn out.  your queen is doing well. pollen stores.....
as ef said the bees are probably using it as fast as it is coming in, this will improve when more foragers are available to bring it in and store. they may be ignoring the pollen sub, (an indication natural pollen is coming in) but keep a pollen sub in just in case. bees tend to ignore pollen subs when natural pollen is coming in, and it doesn't hurt to keep a sub in there.

keep us posted!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor