Author Topic: 20 frame extractor  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Dunkel

20 frame extractor
« on: June 20, 2015, 10:01:26 am »
Just finished 30 mediums on Tuesday with the little Ranger.  I think I may have to bump up in size because that is my bottle neck.  Works great for ten supers at a time, but eight hours for fourteen starts to wear on me.  Depending on the summer flow, not looking good right now, I may have more than the first.  I am dreading the process already.  Any recommendations on a 20 frame extractor.  How long does it take to work up 10 supers by yourself?

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: 20 frame extractor
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 12:33:14 pm »
I absolutely love my Dadant 20 frame. I can do up to 20 deeps or 32 mediums (all I run for honey supers). I only run 20 mediums at a go, that's only 5 runs at a little over 20 minutes each to do 100 frames (10 supers).
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 04:41:23 pm »
I was afraid you would say that. :D Depending on the amount of honey at the end of next month I may have to spring for one.  I'm working on expanding 15 or so.  Once I get an estimate on a new barn roof I may spring for one.  I sure am going to be miserable if I have to work out another batch knowing it didn't have to be that way.  Nice having the proper equipment but I hate looking at it the rest of the year.  Kind of like my hay equipment.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 02:09:54 am »
I've heard that people get into bees for the honey, they also get out of bees because of the honey.  It's a hot and sticky and tiring task, even for a few hives.  Having the right equipment sure helps I've been renting out bee clubs 20 frame extractor for the last couple of years and it's quite a step up from the 4 frame. unfortunately I don't remember the brand.  This year I found a used 30 frame at a price I could not resist.  So now I have this behemoth in my garage, but no regrets.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 11:50:12 pm »
dunkel, sorry, just catching up........30 mediums in a ranger? a great deal of work for you.

reading what pete said? very true; extraction is a hot,sticky, tiring task even for a few hives, especially when you are limited with a smaller extractor.

when folks  ask advise about extractors or say what their budget is.........i always say buy for the future, you won't regret it..........
prices are steep on equipment.......but if you ask me, it pays for itself in more ways than one.  i have two, a nine and 20 frame.
the maxant 20 frame is nice.  also, i have been hearing good things about the lyson extractors (and a little less expensive).

good luck, let us know what you decided to do!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 08:22:44 am »
I picked up a 20 frame Maxant last year.  I won't look back.  2 supers at a time at the flip of a switch. 
I'm starting to think that the bees are keeping me...

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 12:05:18 pm »
Looks like I'll have another year to worry about extractors and uncapping tables.  I had left 20 on to finish before the main flow. No flow this year and may be able to scrap out five to ten before fall at best.  I am looking at making sure I can get one before next year.
Bad year to start 20 more hives. :)