Author Topic: Hydroponic Gardening  (Read 25873 times)

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
Re: Hydroponic Gardening
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2014, 07:38:44 pm »
blueblood I got most of my idea to make it from rrog13 here and videos  on you tube and I liked the htf system being up off the ground easy to reach and not worry about weeds. I also got information at a hydroponic store. Simple to build but cost more than I thought it would but than again doesn't everything  and should last quite a few years so get money back from some good home grow  vegetables and worth it.

Ken

Offline rrog13

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2014, 09:22:38 pm »
Looks great Ken!  :goodjob:

Cost…lol, I haven’t had to run a tiller in going on 4 years! That alone is worth it. 8)  I planted my A-frame a couple weeks ago with lettuce and broccoli.  They’re cool weather plants so they should do well.   I was planning to get my other system up and running this weekend but, it looks like I may have a cut out to do on Saturday.  Can’t pass up free bees.   

Great pictures!  Before the end of the summer, you can expect to be able to see your tomatoes while lounging at the pool on the other side of the fence.  ;D

Offline kebee

• Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2014, 05:17:46 pm »
I got my plants today, added the fertilizer to the water and turned on. Didn't know it but I got 6 plants to many, oh well may plant in the ground and see which grows the fastest, I am sure not going to pull weeds though. When they start growing good I will take some pictures, yum fresh vegetables. I might be able to get two crops this way, hoping so anyway.

Ken

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2014, 05:48:03 pm »
I got my plants today, added the fertilizer to the water and turned on. Didn't know it but I got 6 plants to many, oh well may plant in the ground and see which grows the fastest, I am sure not going to pull weeds though. When they start growing good I will take some pictures, yum fresh vegetables. I might be able to get two crops this way, hoping so anyway.

Ken

Because of my wife's spinal surgery a couple of years ago, she's not able to get out into the garden.  So we're going to try some big flower pots in the driveway outside the back door.

I am probably going to plant some cabbage and broccoli in the garden, but unless work slacks off, I won't have time to mess with it much.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Waverlybees

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2014, 05:59:59 pm »
Looking good Ken.

Here is my setup. Still got a little work to do, but I hope to get it planted this weekend. I will be building two other types of hydroponic systems soon.

I can add four more pipes in the future if this system works out.
Dan

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2014, 06:08:46 pm »
Here is my setup. Still got a little work to do, but I hope to get it planted this weekend. I will be building two other types of hydroponic systems soon.

That looks doable.  It might be worth experimenting with.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline kebee

• Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2014, 07:06:57 pm »
Dan that looks good, I think you will enjoy it, if mine works out I will be added to it also, sure beats pulling weeds to get some good vegetables.

Ken

Offline Waverlybees

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2014, 11:33:39 pm »
I'll second the no weeding Ken!!  It also beats trying to dig in soil that thinks its a rock!!  You may be more in the coastal plains, but I am in the piedmont and our soil is difficult at best to till without serious amendments.

Dan

Offline rrog13

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2014, 11:42:13 pm »
I'll second the no weeding Ken!!  It also beats trying to dig in soil that thinks its a rock!!

Looks good Dan!  I sure don't miss digging up and tilling our Georgia clay!

Offline kebee

• Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 02:09:03 pm »
Well I hope Dan you didn't get any vegetables out for my tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers plants were killed in the freeze Wed. morning. I am getting more and hope that it dose not get that cold anymore. Raining here has been since 7:00 am this morning and some tomorrow, picking up my package of bees in the morning, will spray with warm water and keep in a warm place until I can get them in a hive. Hope it stops raining by afternoon as they say.

Ken

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2014, 02:45:29 pm »
Well I hope Dan you didn't get any vegetables out for my tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers plants were killed in the freeze Wed. morning. I am getting more and hope that it dose not get that cold anymore. Raining here has been since 7:00 am this morning and some tomorrow, picking up my package of bees in the morning, will spray with warm water and keep in a warm place until I can get them in a hive. Hope it stops raining by afternoon as they say.

Ken

My rule of thumb is don't plant tender plants before tax day (April 15th).
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline kebee

• Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2014, 07:27:26 pm »
Thanks had not though of that may wait until than, my lettuce, strawberrys and cabbage look good though.

Ken

Offline rrog13

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2014, 10:37:02 pm »
I’ve got lettuce and broccoli growing nicely.  I threw a tarp over my “A” frame during the night time freezes.  I picked up some tomatoes, cucumbers and banana peppers this past weekend and will probably add some butternut and yellow squash this weekend.   I also took a couple blueberry bush trimmings and planted them in the hydroponic as an experiment, just for the heck of it.  We’ll see if they root. 

Ken ....I did some cabbage last year.  It was beautiful. If all goes well, your gonna love it!

Offline rrog13

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2014, 10:41:54 pm »
I finally got my other hydroponic system up and running.  Today I planted cucumbers, banana peppers and a few varieties tomatoes.  The plants I started in my “A” frame 4 weeks ago are doing very well also.  The last couple days we’ve been able to harvest and enjoy some of that fresh lettuce.  It was a little interesting spinning up the second system since it has the bait hive on top.  I had that nice swarm move into it last weekend and they are some very busy girls. They didn’t seem to mind it too much though.  After I finished planting, I transferred them to a regular deep and strapped it all together to get them ready to move.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2014, 02:28:40 pm »
Here is something that all hydroponic gardeners (and every citizen for that matter) should keep in mind.  The government is out of control.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/12/dea-marijuana-garden-store_n_5128771.html
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline kebee

• Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2014, 04:03:17 pm »
 Well they can come by all they want, might get a change to sell some honey when my bees make some. I will also say they are a bunch of no good dea to do what they are doing, any thing for a buck and the police are getting away with murder.

Krn

Offline rrog13

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2014, 04:35:22 pm »
I get the occasional late night, low flying chopper…..hummmm, I wonder what that’s all about.  :laugh:

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2014, 12:51:49 pm »
"I get the occasional late night, low flying chopper…..hummmm, I wonder what that’s all about.  :laugh:"
LOL!!!

we get some funny stuff that goes on around here, one year there was quite the plantation growing across the river from us on my neighbor's property, remote area. (he's never around, and doesn't live here.)  it sure was a site to see....errr and smell when they lit that up....... :D
the other thing the dea does is meet with the local trout unlimited chapters, and the rush river clean up that happens once a year.  the fisherman volunteer to clean up trash along the river, but are also educated on looking out for other sorts of things, and during the year while fishing on all the property that the river runs along. ( oh and shhhh.....they are not supposed to say anything to the property owners.... :D)

btw, nice set up you have going there!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline kebee

• Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2014, 06:42:07 pm »
I got some more tomatoes and cucumbers plant planted in my hydroponic systems and I problem  lose them again come Tues night, suppose to get
down to 35 degrees here, know it not as cold as you people up north but here it is, and I say when will winter be over.
I have choppers fling over me all the time ever since I started signing all the form that the tea party sends out in the email.

Ken 

Offline rrog13

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2014, 07:06:21 pm »
btw, nice set up you have going there!

Thank you!  I'll never go back to running a tiller.   :)