Author Topic: used hives  (Read 17846 times)

Offline mamapoppybee

used hives
« on: January 01, 2014, 12:53:32 pm »
my best friends father in law my have some used hives that i could get into for start up. I would like to know if this route is a good idea bad idea?

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
Re: used hives
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 01:23:34 pm »
Are they just the used hive bodies and tops and bottoms or does it also include used comb. The main issue for me would be the possibility of the presence of American Foul Brood spores. They can remain viable reportedly for 80 years.  Even though I trusted the person I might question their ability to properly identify the signs of AFB scale on comb. If you do have someone inspect it, do so where it is, not at your place.
Frank

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 01:52:40 pm »
If you can talk to him and discuss the history of the equipment and fell comfotable AFB was not an issue then I don't see a problem.  Although AFB can be an issue with used equipment, I think the concern is often blown way out of proportion.  But to play it safe,  I would probably suggest using new frames and foundation.   For the rest of the woodenware,  a good scrubbing with lye or burning the insides with a torch will give some added protection from diseases being an issue.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 02:07:03 pm »
That's what I do. I will scorch hive bodies, tops, etc. but I avoid used frames and comb altogether.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 02:17:16 pm »
So do a surface char? or just afew good passes to get the heat on them to kill stuff. can charning the sides cause bee to reject and swarm?

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 02:17:54 pm »
Hey, if it's in good condition, free is free.  Hive components are expensive.  But, I do scorch with a small torch like Perry.  Yeap, to your last post.  I just run over the surfaces.

Offline Crofter

• Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 02:25:39 pm »
I dont think the char smell any worse than our smokers and must be better than that gas tank someone showed with bees in it ::)
Frank

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 02:27:29 pm »
Scorch or singe well. I like to see the wood just start to cook.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 02:29:32 pm »
hay i liked the gas tank hive lol.  So whats the succes rate with this procedure?

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 02:45:00 pm »
So do a surface char? or just afew good passes to get the heat on them to kill stuff. can charning the sides cause bee to reject and swarm?

Surface char.   If I have a lot to do,  I will stack the empty hive bodies as high as I can and throw some crumpled news paper inside and light it.   Let the chimney affect work for you.   When they are charred enough just push the stack over to put it out.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 02:51:12 pm »
bee keeps rocket stove niffty!
 C:-)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 03:07:56 pm »
mama- there are youtubes on scorching hives as well. Good idea to not use the frames or foundations, buy new ones.

fyi- my second year my mentor sent me home with a new hive full of frames and bees and a queen, 6 weeks later American Foul Brood. Had to burn it, bees and all. I was disgusted and heart broken.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 06:27:00 am »
Jaybird... this would suggest to me that somewhere fairly near to your location you have an active infestation point for AFB.   AFB from what the lab folks tell us is now considered to be fairly rare.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 07:36:58 am »
First, all the above posts are true, Especially Robo's and the blown out of proportion.

You asked what the success rate is. I would say without lye wash or scorching, and with using frames and all, the success rate in most areas is 98% or better. I have never done anything but use the used equipment and my success rate is 100%.

Yes, AFB can be spread and it can lay dormant for a lifetime, but the truth is, most hives in the USA have a few spores of it. It's not a danger until it gets a foothold and takes over. The few spores you may get with used equip. will likely never show it's ugly head.

Now, having said that, use what precautions you feel you should, and also consider the price. Most used equip. is either given away, or almost so.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Crofter

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 10:55:11 am »
Iddee, I would have thought you would be recommending extra diligence regarding AFB even if the odds are remote.
Frank

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 12:28:53 pm »
Sorry, Crofter, but IMHO, if I were that cautious, I would never go onto a public highway again in a vehicle. I think the chance of me being killed is greater than the chance of getting AFB from used equip., even tho both chances are certainly a possibility. In 35 plus years of beekeeping and visiting beekeepers, some commercial, I have only seen AFB once, and it was in established hives which had been established for years, not new installs in used equip.

That being said, I will repeat my often stated fact, beekeeping is very localized. If there are many known instances of AFB in your area, I would expect you to be much more cautious.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 01:05:21 pm »
Tecumseh ~ "Jaybird... this would suggest to me that somewhere fairly near to your location you have an active infestation point for AFB.   AFB from what the lab folks tell us is now considered to be fairly rare."

I figured the AFB came from the bee yard I purchased them from. Another fellow went with me and purchased a complete hive as well and he had AFB too. He lives two miles from me. We both lost our hives.

Let's see, that was two seasons ago and neither of us have had AFB since.

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Crofter

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 01:16:00 pm »
I do have a local concern. One hive was burned on one property and several on an adjacent property. It was 6 or seven years ago and far enough away to reduce my danger. I think there is old equipment stashed. Probably far enough away to add some barrier to me but I heard that some equipment was offered for sale.

Robo mentions talking to the person and satisfying yourself that it is safe. Good advice but it has potential problems.

I am skeptical about taking the opinion of someone who is selling equipment in general and certainly not suggesting it applies to anyone in the original posters scenario.  Some reasons are that the original owner may not be aware there was any problem or be convinced that it would be a worthwhile chance to take or perhaps might not know for sure how to identify AFB.

There are many things in life that we take chances on where we really have virtually no control of the situation. I agree there is no use constantly worrying about them. Where there is an issue that you can take a bit of care and greatly reduce the odds of problems, why not.

There is just something about a situation where ones course of action could conceivably affect a lot of other peoples welfare, that makes me think extra diligence is an onus.  I would not want to become famous like Typhoid Mary did.

Frank

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 01:33:18 pm »
laughing at the typhod refrence

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 06:44:17 pm »
another snip...
He lives two miles from me. We both lost our hives.

tecumseh..
it is my understanding from what I have read (I haven't really seen an active case of AFB in perhaps 30 years) there are location that represent hot spots in terms of active AFB infestation... same for EFB.  some of these outbreaks if constant likely could be feral hives which would take great effort to even locate <and active wax moth population is your friend here.  there are genetic strategies  (minnesota hygienic to be specific) that folks can take to confront this problem and I have always suspect that many of the pure disease vectors do have a good deal of nutritional aspect for the disease to totally display itself.

I should also mention here that two mile distance between you and your neighbor is well within flying distance of one another.

the best decontamination for AFB is a radiation chamber (haven't really seen one of these but I am guessing it is much the same kind of thing used for strawberries).  I think perhaps they have one of these in North Carolina.  perhaps Iddee could provide us with some detail of how the state of North Carolina manages this program???