Author Topic: 3d swarm, the best kind.  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

3d swarm, the best kind.
« on: July 21, 2015, 08:59:18 am »
So yesterday we inspect the hives here at home.
 I had some comb from dead outs I was just going to melt down rather than store. I was at the solar melter about 11:30 AM putting in the last 4 frames when I hear it off my left shoulder {away from where our colonies are east of the melter} I turn around and see this huge swirling mass of bees coming from the south west. I run in to the house and tell Kare we have a swarm then run out and start drumming them down with a stick on the bottom of a 5 gallon pail. I know some don't believe in the drumming but I just happen to believe. Soon the swirl is getting tighter and tighter, Kare joins me drumming on her own pail. Finally they are coming closer to the ground and find a hive I have sitting waiting for the solar melter and decide it will make a fine home. I do to since it was on a bottom board yet and had a outer cover on it.

I did get pictures of them moving in but now when they were the thickest at the entrance and 3/4 inch air holes I put in hives. Have to wait a day or so for them as I need to upload them. Going to grab a frame of brood to stick in there in a couple days.
Best kind of swarm as I didn't have to go get them or set a hive up for them.

My friend Mike teaches the SEMBA spring bee keeping class and told me a few years ago a lady took his class and lives down the road from me to the south west. Asked if she called if I would give her a hand. Bet they came from there. that is the third swarm from that direction I have seen in as many years.

;D  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Alleyyooper

Re: 3d swarm, the best kind.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 12:48:15 pm »
Here are the pictures. At one tine the whole landing board and front of the hive was dark with bees.

;D Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 01:04:09 pm »
Nice Catch. I also believe in drumming. although most times the bees will find a convenient place to cluster. For them to zero in on a hive and move in they had to of scouted it out before hand to know it was there. So they may have made it there even if you hadn't drummed. Nice that the bees made it there before you did to melt it down. It would be a shame for them to come all excited about moving into their new home to find it gone.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 01:41:06 pm »
Drumming?  Something else I just learned from this site.  Thanks for sharing and good luck with the swarm.