Author Topic: Crimson Clover  (Read 4079 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Crimson Clover
« on: July 19, 2015, 10:02:11 am »
Thinking about sowing (broadcasting) crimson clover seed on the property that i had dozed off, mostly cedar and oak & hickory sprouts. Any advice ? Jack

Offline rcannon

Re: Crimson Clover
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 01:51:57 pm »
Don't forget to innoculate it, or very little will come up. The bees seem to like it.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 06:20:34 pm »

rcannon:

What does inoculate mean?  What is innoculation?  I too, am going to plant a several acres of crimson and Hubam clover.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 08:04:17 pm »
Lazy, it's a powder that you can get at the feed store, i pour seed in a tub and sprinkle the powder over it and stir it with my hands then another layer of seed and powder and stir ect until the seed has been covered. You might check where you buy your seed, some of it has already been innoculated when you buy it. Jack

Offline rcannon

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 08:39:56 pm »
That's right. Most all clover needs to be inoculated. Some of it comes that way.

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/agr/agr90/agr90.htm

https://hancockseed.com/other-products-242/seed-inoculants-570/

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 08:50:01 am »
innoculate it?
   I broadcast about 12 acres total, the Crimson was mixed with Borage, Birdsfoot trefoil, Sainfoin, and a bit of buckwheat..   Crimson grew like wildfire and now has the little red cones popping out everywhere. The the bees and bumbles are out in force!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 09:17:06 am »
@ the other lazy:

I had some crimson clover this year, but a hail storm hit it before it got to full bloom, so my question is:  How long does crimson clover bloom in normal weather conditions?  I want to plant something that will give my bees some boost in their honey production.  I know the evils of monoculture, but most of my forage is from wild flowers, cotton and watermelon.  I want a good nectar source close to my hives so that the bees can minimize their travel time and pack away some serious honey in a few weeks.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 10:38:48 am »
Scott, how much did you broadcast per acre? I have one of those seeders that runs off the PTO of a 3 point tractor and plan on broadcasting and running a disc over it in Sept.? I've got 250 ibs. of Crimson Clover and plan on putting it on 3 acres of the dozed land in front of my hives, and Buckwheat on the other 3 acres in the Spring. Jack

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 06:01:38 pm »
  I planted several different seed types, Crimson, Sainfoin, birdsfoot trefoil, borage and a bit of buckwheat..
  Buckwheat came up first, then some trefoil started showing..  crimson is in full bloom right now, which is perfect timing, and i am starting to see some borage flowers...  have not seen hide nor hair of the Sainfoin yet...

i went with the recommended amounts, then average them all together, so what I spread would be a bit off if your only planting one type..
   I was "told" to disk, spread, and run a packer over it.. I did get the clodbuster over about half of it before I ran out of time, and can honestly say i dont see much difference in bloom, so cant say how necessary the packing/disking would be.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*