Author Topic: Wasp control  (Read 1738 times)

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
Wasp control
« on: September 30, 2015, 12:40:45 pm »
During the fall months  the build-up of the populations of wasps reaches its maximum and the damage they can cause to hives can be very serious.  On more than one occasion I have had hives that were so decimated by wasps that they either didn't last till winter or they died during the winter.
The most troublesome wasp in Israel is Vespa orientalis, the oriental wasp.  It's big, strong and frightening, aside from being a real headache to beekeepers.
The most effective way  to control them is by placing chopped meat as a bait, and "lacing" it with a "delayed action" poison.

The wasps collect the poisoned meat and bring it back to their nest to share with its nest-mates, adults and larvae.  After a delay of several hours the poison begins to take effect and starts to kill all those who have shared in the feast.  The only wasps spared are those that were in sealed cells, completing their metamorphosis.  The wasps numbers are greatly reduced and a repeat treatment after a week or so cleans up the wasps that have emerged in the meantime.
The link to a video I took this afternoon shows the wasps coming to the entrance of the hive in search of bees to trap and kill.  But they are easily distracted to the meat, which doesn't try to avoid their jaws.  The bees, having no interest in solid meat as a source of protein, are not affected and carry on as usual, while the wasps gobble their way to destruction.
By evening, all the meat was gone.  Hopefully in another few days my hives will be relieved of the wasp's attacks.

One warning, supervise the bait or place it in a protected location (like a wire cage with apropriately sized spaces)---you have to be careful not to let the poisoned meat be eaten by any pets or protected wild animals, lest they unintentionally succumb to the poison.