Author Topic: Caution using Oxalic Acid Vapor  (Read 18331 times)

Offline capt44

• If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
Caution using Oxalic Acid Vapor
« on: October 25, 2015, 10:48:52 pm »
I have been treating a lot of hives with oxalic acid vapor and I try to stay on the upwind side.
Once in awhile I will get a light whif of it. (You'll know when you do)
I came down with flu like symptoms of not being able to breath without coughing and body aches.
I did a search and found out I could have inhaled to much.
I'm going to the doc tomorrow and 10/26/2015 and tell him what I've done.
It said it can cause lung damage, intestinal damage and target body organs and cause kidney failure.
I've got to treat some hives the second time the first week in November.
I have ordered a respirator to wear.
Just going to let ya'll know I thought I was being careful.
Guess not.
Capt44

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Re: Caution using Oxalic Acid Vapor
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 11:36:52 pm »
Thank for the heads up capt44, i've not used OA yet but thought i might try it on some of my weaker hives>? I have a paint respirator that i was going to use if i do. Hope everything checks out good for you. Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 12:31:20 am »
I have definately gotten some whiffs of it in the past. I insert the plate into the hive, plug the entrance with a kitchen towel, set timer for 2 1/2 mins, connect the battery, and walk to another part of the yard, or the front yard and turn on sprinklers, or go into the garage and throw in a load of laundry. Then, go back to the hive after 2 1/2 mins, disconnect the battery, and leave the entrance plugged for 10 minutes. Then remove it. I feel confident with this method.

You have a right to be concerned, if it doesn't feel right, or you don't feel well, you are doing the right thing by going to the doc. Keep us posted.

Sending you good healing mojo Capt :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 02:42:05 am »
So sorry to hear about your complications from oxalic acid.  I wish you well.  This is a good example of how careful beekeepers should be around some of these treatments.
I used oxalic acid this fall for the first time.  Based upon information another beekeeper gave me,  I treated my country bees using the syringe method.  I too realized afterwards that I should have used a mask of some type as I had a "taste" in my mouth that lasted about 2 hours.  When I got back to the car I began feeling the symptoms and considered my self lucky that I hadn't exposed myself worse out in the middle of no where.  I had followed all the other precautionary steps, but didn't think about a mask because I was doing the drip method.  Next time, I will use a mask for sure.  This crazy adventure in beekeeping isn't worth risking  your health.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 07:50:54 am »
I think that Jen has the best method.  Remember to keep the battery upwind.  If you use a respirator, look up the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) and use the correct respirator filter for oxalic acid vapor.  Using a painters respirator of dust mask may be of no value.  All of my safety training has been adamant about using the correct filter and respirator for the task. 

Most accidents occur because people are working hurriedly.  Take your time and think out how you are going to accomplish the task.  Be slow, be careful, be diligent and remember; "SAFETY IS NO ACCIDENT."

I say all of the above and ripped the heck out of my trigger finger yesterday taking a cabinet off of a wall.  :)

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 09:24:37 am »
I think that Jen has the best method.  Remember to keep the battery upwind.  If you use a respirator, look up the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) and use the correct respirator filter for oxalic acid vapor.  Using a painters respirator of dust mask may be of no value.  All of my safety training has been adamant about using the correct filter and respirator for the task. 

Most accidents occur because people are working hurriedly.  Take your time and think out how you are going to accomplish the task.  Be slow, be careful, be diligent and remember; "SAFETY IS NO ACCIDENT."

I say all of the above and ripped the heck out of my trigger finger yesterday taking a cabinet off of a wall.  :)

Exactly right.  I was looking through the respirators.  I think you can get them at Lowe's or Amazon.  Be sure to look for the right cartridge.  Lots of info on respirators on Google, especially at 3M.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 09:39:21 am »
Strange that people have actually done this on purpose and have felt no symptoms and had no problems.   I got my first whiff of the stuff this fall while treating.   Locked me up fast.. i just backed up, waited a moment and continued... no problems or symptoms or problems. REALLY interested in what the doc has to say Capt.
   I asked my doc about the stuff when I first started using it. He told me as long as I wasnt constantly trying to breathe it I would be fine. He also said it was a natural substance our bodies could metabolize in small amounts. So long as I dont try to eat it in the concentrated form.....
   We eat Oxalic every day, so our bodies are set up to handle it, though NOT through the lungs..

Dumb cane or Leopard lily (Dieffenbachia) has Highly concentrated amounts of Oxalic. When some unfortunate animal (or person) chows down they end up with a painful and swollen mouth. In some cases the swelling is so bad it causes the victim to go silent for inability to talk, this is where the common name of Dumb Cane came from. 

When breathing a large amount of the vapor it closes up the throat and causes lock up and coughing. If a concentrated amount is inhaled it may cause similar effects as eating Dieffenbachia. Swelling of the mouth and upper throat, numbness and pain in the associated areas. If these effects are noticed seek medical care immediately!

I wasnt able to inhale at ALL when i caught a breath of the stuff...  I didnt do it multiple times either, so cant testify to any side effects....
   30 to 60 hives treated three times each in the spring and at least once int he fall..  = around 1500 treatments administered at this time and date, with only a single episode of getting a whiff of it. I take no special precautions other than staying upwind and away from the hive while treating. That may change when the second vaporizor arrives and I am working two of them regularly...

So if you are having issues from breathing it, I am very much interested in hearing about it, before I have problems, so I can stop them before they start.

Treating with liquid drench?  about every plant we handle has OA in it, especially if you have ever cut up rhubarb. Getting the concentrated form on your skin will soon tell you it is there with an Itchy burning feeling. Just go wash/wipe it off. I get it on my hands about every time I fill the pan because I hate wearing gloves. I have had no issues/symptoms at all in that regard. But we are all different and react differently.
   Liquid drench shortens the life span of the treated bees because they are forced to ingest it, but it is proven to work.

What has OA in it?

Foods that are edible, but still contain significant concentrations of oxalic acid include - in decreasing order - buckwheat, star fruit (carambola), black pepper, parsley, poppy seed, rhubarb stalks, amaranth, spinach, chard, beets, cocoa, chocolate, (CHOCOLATE!!!!) most nuts, most berries, and beans. The gritty feel one gets in the mouth when drinking milk with rhubarb desserts is caused by precipitation of calcium oxalate. Thus even dilute amounts of oxalic acid can readily "crack" the casein found in various dairy products.

Leaves of the tea plant (Camellia sinensis) are known to contain among the greatest measured concentrations of oxalic acid relative to other plants. However the infusion beverage typically contains only low to moderate amounts of oxalic acid per serving, due to the small mass of leaves used for brewing.

Uses
Uses:
In household chemical products such as Bar Keeper's Friend, some bleaches, and rustproofing treatments.
In wood restorers where the acid dissolves away a layer of dry surface wood to expose fresh material underneath.
As a mordant in dyeing processes.
Vaporized oxalic acid is used by some beekeepers as an insecticide against the parasitic Varroa mite.

I asked my wife to see if there were OSHA standards for breathing OA...

She said;
   The PEL (Permissible exposure limit) is 1 milligram per cubic meter of air averaged over an 8 hour work shift.

How is that relevant?  I have no clue, but suspect that the "whiff" we get in treating bee hives is well above that limit since it causes lockup..   I do have to wonder, that since it DOES cause lockup, how much of it actually reaches the lungs?
   Having experienced it once now, I have no interest in experiencing it again...  My methods have kept me away from that experience quite well until now, so I will probably not change how I do it... however....  If I start to have more trouble I will at the least start wearing my paint respirator with appropriate filters.
   I am also waiting to hear what Capt hears from his doc.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 10:13:13 am »
Lazy, not using exact figures, just approximating, that would be 1 milligram every 500 breaths, if breathing very heavily, for a solid 8 hours. I think that is many times more than one could inhale in one breath.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 10:45:32 pm »
Not sure about this but I believe a chemical vapor respirator should have an activated charcoal filter. My memory is not reliable though- it's the reason I'm retired.

Neill
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 01:25:46 am »
I have been very careful with the OA vapour.  I use a full face mask with organic acid cartrigges.  All the organic acids are naturally occuring substances, but that does not make them safe to use.  Acid vapours can permanently scar your lung tissue with no immediate symptoms, except years later you find yourself short of breath.  Not to be trifled with.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 11:21:01 am »
...I use a full face mask with organic acid cartriges....
I'd pay money to see you use that!  ;-)

I find it useful to place a lit smoker on top of the hive, the smoke trail tells you immediately how the air currents are moving.  Easy to avoid that way.  :-)

EPA's product label requires long sleeve shirt, socks and shoes, gloves, goggles or face shield, and finally, half face respirator with particulate cartridge.  If that is how we should look everyday using OAV, how will we recognize the impending zombie apocolypse?  ;-)
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen, efmesch

Gypsi

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 11:37:19 am »
I do suit and gloves and Jen's walkaway method. I pen the chickens on the lot when I am messing with bees, and I just go hang out with the chickens

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 06:34:10 pm »
I got a whiff this year and now that I think about it, the Upper respiratory infection followed shortly after.  The cold cleared up but I have been plagued with a cough since then.  I do have a history of chronic asthmatic/bronchitis, so perhaps breathing the OA and the cold set off the AB.  Who knows and hindsight is 20/20 so i am asking Santa for a respirator.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 12:42:49 am »

The question to the family doc;
   ;
    I have had metal fume fever several times throughout my life, and I am reading that there are some folks that have had problems with breathing the fumes from Oxalic Acid Vaporization of their bees...  is it similar, and should I bee worried from an occasional whiff of the vapor when I treat my bees?"

The reply;

I looked it up, and there is very little research on actually breathing the fumes. I can find a lot of references to getting Oxalic on skin, in eyes, in mouth etc...
   What I can find depends entirely on how much was inhaled, meaning the concentration of the vapor. Typically it causes coughing and an inability to continue inhaling, so it appears that the mechanism of coughing would further limit the intake. I will look into this further for you, but for now, I would suggest attempting to stay out of the vapor. I will also say, at this current time, and this is subject to change with further research, that from the method you describe it would be quite difficult to inhale enough vapor to cause problems as far down as your lungs. It would be more likely to cause issues in the upper respiratory tract and mouth, or nose. Namely, a burning and numbness that will slowly fade.  Trace amounts of Oxalic Acid are in most natural plants and as such, your body will be capable of dealing with it in a short amount of time.
   It is a good question I just cant answer clearer yet, and if more beekeepers are using it, I should know more. I will let you know what I find out.

I was hoping for more but its a start.
   Scott

*Sponsor*

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 02:13:58 am »
From my understanding on how AC vaporization works When the powder is heated and is turned into a vapor to float and get fanned thru the hive. When it cools it reforms into microscopic crystals that damage the mites. If these crystals are becoming embedded in our throat and lungs. the damage could cause long term health issues.
We breath dust every day, for years and years no one worried about the dust from asbestos ether.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 02:54:45 am »
 We have an upper respiratory affection riding around the country right now. If you get it, see a doctor right away. I came up with a nagging cough late august. I waited 3 weeks till I was so sick. I had to see the doc. I picked up the bug from my fishing buddy. He had the same crap. Upper respiratory affection. Doc pulled me off of all my arthritis medications. He put me on two prescriptions to get rid of it. I was sick for almost 7 weeks with it. I passed the affection on to my wife and she was sick for almost a month. We booth have the cough yet. I don’t think its oxalic acid causing the problem here. People that use this stuff should try to protect your self with a respiratory mask. I use the N-95 paper mask. It works for me. you can use the better mask but I think its over kill.   

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 07:52:45 am »

I find it useful to place a lit smoker on top of the hive, the smoke trail tells you immediately how the air currents are moving.  Easy to avoid that way.  :-)

That's what I call a genuine pearl of wisdom, Lee.

Offline capt44

• If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 04:01:51 pm »
I went to the VA emergency room and seen a doc.
They said I had pneumonia.
Ain't got a clue how I got that.
I told them of the Oxalic Acid vapor and they had to look it up.
I am showing no signs of chemical poisoning at this time but I still have some test results I'm waiting for.
They run a camera down my throat and down into my lungs and so far no chemical contamination.
But what I've read about it so far I am going to use a respirator.
Whew! so far so good cept for the pneumonia part.
Capt44

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 04:56:45 pm »
Oh Man Capt! ~ I've had pheumonia  :sad: You 'don't' want to mess with it, you 'do want to' stay down until it's gone. It's going to be a few weeks. Glad to hear that there is no chemical damage.

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 06:09:19 pm »
From my understanding on how AC vaporization works When the powder is heated and is turned into a vapor to float and get fanned thru the hive. When it cools it reforms into microscopic crystals that damage the mites. If these crystals are becoming embedded in our throat and lungs. the damage could cause long term health issues.
We breath dust every day, for years and years no one worried about the dust from asbestos ether.

Not according to what I have read and heard (so far) because those crystals are absorbed..  The problems are short term only, even with larger doses???  Burning, numbness etc, until the associated crystals are absorbed..   associations of infections and other problems like colds or flu etc apparently unrelated... As I understand it right now.. It would take more than an ounce of concentrated OA to cause permanent problems..
    STILL trying to get my doc to give me a more in depth and detailed explanation of those issues and related problems/symptoms....   I'm NOT a doc, and this is ONLY what I have been told by those who ARE carrying their doctorates. Still looking /still trying to find out factual information...

*Sponsor*