Author Topic: Chat Window Problem  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Barbarian

Chat Window Problem
« on: November 30, 2015, 07:35:10 pm »
By accident, I think I have altered the settings on the Chat Window. I can't find out how to restore my preferred setting.

Until about 2 weeks ago, when I logged onto this site the home page came up with the chat window open. My next action was to click on "show unread posts since last visit" The unread posts came on screen and the chat window vanished.

Recently the chat window persists and I have to scroll down to look at the list of unread posts.

Is there a way to stop the chat window popping up ?
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Chat Window Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:38:25 pm »
The chat window has been set to open on all pages. It was done because of requests from forum members. You are the first who does not like it. If enough complain, we will change it back.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 04:51:38 am »
As posted in the chat I would open chat in a second tab so I could hear the click when someone posted to chat. I could take it or leave it. It dose require more scrolling and the mouse curser needs to be outside the chat box or you end up scrolling the chat window. It's a bit of a pain but can live with it.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 03:03:29 pm »
I had a hunch that the change in the location of the Chat box was inspired "from above". 
Like Apis, I find it a bit annoying, especially when I try to scroll up or down in a thread and end up scrolling through the chat box.  It could just be a matter of learning a new habit and wheel-scrolling  only from the sides of the screen, but until I develop the new habit, it is a (minor) pain.
If the relocation has improved the participation in chats, than I guess it is worth it, but if not, than maybe going back to the old system would be better.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 03:57:15 pm »
OK. That's 3 for moving it back. One more and it will be done, unless we get posts to keep it this way.

How about it, folks. Which way do you want it?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 05:55:21 pm »
I don't use a mouse.  I like it the way it is, but "it's not the hill I would die on."  I'm OK either way.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 09:35:48 pm »
..."it's not the hill I would die on."  I'm OK either way.
Spoken like a man who has been married to the same woman for many, many years.  ;-)
Lee_Burough

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 10:08:26 pm »
Doesn't seem to be much concern either way, so I guess we leave it as is for now. You can click the minus sign in the corner of chat and it will go away. Then click the plus sign when you want to see it. I don't have sound on my computer to check, but you should still be able to hear the signal when someone posts on it.
― Shel Silverstein