Author Topic: Rose hive method?  (Read 10056 times)

Offline crazy8days

• https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crees-Bees/264227527049555?ref=hl
Rose hive method?
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:34:23 pm »
Found this interesting.  Thoughts? 

“It's wonderful to me that bees have this simple, age-old thing going on.” -Peter Fonda

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
Re: Rose hive method?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 03:43:39 pm »
I'm not a fan of breaking up the brood nest with the use of smaller frames.  Same with using all mediums.  I also find the boxes too wide for my liking.  8 frame Langstroths seem to "fit" the bees better than 10 frame boxes to me (I do use 10 frame hives,  but find the outer most frames rarely get brood) .   Honeybee instinct is to move up and down,  not sideways.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 04:21:34 pm »

I stopped when he split the brood nest in half by putting a box between. Adding a frame or two with a good strong colony.. OK, but I wouldn't split the entire thing in half that far with an entirely new box... 

I had a grand idea at one point, and built SQUARE boxes...  19 7/8 by 19 7/8.. they held 13 frames each..   it worked, but as Robo said, they didnt use the outside frames. In this case, the FOUR outside frames. two to either side of the brood chamber.. Like Robo, I think its too much room..
   Unlike most, I was taught that mediums allowed easier clustering and movement because it has two breaks instead of the one two deeps have...  had a couple arguments about that, wont argue about it anymore.., it works, but so does two deeps.
   I stick with the universal fit argument.. ONE size frame in supers and brood.   I also like the weight of mediums. I still lift deeps, but could see problems in the future making that difficult..
   Looks like those hives had 12 frames per box.. while I liked the depth of them   :P I didnt like the width, or splitting the brood chamber that way. He also didnt cut handles into his boxes..    ;D

Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 06:19:14 pm »
I run double deeps for brood, mediums for honey. The deeps are rarely full of honey except at winter prep so weight isn't as much an issue. Mediums for honey because they're lighter. I also run different sizes for the exact reasons LazyBkpr doesn't.  Waaaay too many times I have watched keeps swapping out frames of brood (while harvesting) with frames of honey in the brood chamber, despite their having had treatments in the brood chamber. I don't know why some of these folks have that disconnect in their brains. I can't switch so can never make that "mistake".
If you are careful rotating your frames "down" only, you would be alright with just one size.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:30:33 pm »
just what the bee keeping world need another nebulous and fuzzy term?  much like checkerboarding or small cell not too descriptive and just another term which will confuse the new beekeeper.  nothing really new here except another term has been created and nothing practical has been accomplished.

what we have here is someone who is using one sized boxes which a log time ago we use to all jumbos here.  the idea of jumbos was the brood and food chamber were confined to one deep 12 frame box and any honey produced in the space above the excluder the bee keeper could take off as surplus.  so actually the beekeeper here has yielded several of the + aspect of jumbos in order to utilize one size box and no excluder.  one plus of a deep jumbo was you never really need to pick up up anything (except of course the excess honey in the top box) since you keep the queen, brood and honey chamber in the bottom and removed any excess honey from the top.  the person in the film appear to be doing what we call bottom supering.  several other folks above have at least pointed out the obvious flaw in the beekeeper's thinking here < the hazard here risk chilled brood and perhaps the production of swarm/superscedure cells < if you were actually looking to encourage swarming from hives with small population this idea might just work out fine.

that is a very cool house and garden in the background of the attached film.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:25:53 pm »
Well, the dude has a cool house though!

Offline Marbees

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 10:47:05 pm »
just what the bee keeping world need another nebulous and fuzzy term?  much like checkerboarding or small cell not too descriptive and just another term which will confuse the new beekeeper.  nothing really new here except another term has been created and nothing practical has been accomplished.

That's all I have to say about that :)
Bee Remarkable

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 08:52:10 am »
It is likely very practical for his purpose! Product Identity

He is selling hives, frames and books. It is good to have a following and nothing like some catch words, phrases or ideologies that attract people who grasp at the idea that if they embrace this method they will have nothing but joy. People want simple solutions to complex issues.

From looking at the vegetation and flowers in Tims video (and some of the other video I have seen) it looks like high summer and lots of forage. You could probably get away with putting a box of drawn comb or drawn comb with alternating starter stips between halves of a large brood area spanning two boxes. I think in cooler conditions or smaller cluster it could be a cluster splitter disaster. How different is it from the unlimited broodnest idea that is popular in some circles.
Frank

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 06:28:58 pm »
I run double deeps for brood, mediums for honey. The deeps are rarely full of honey except at winter prep so weight isn't as much an issue. Mediums for honey because they're lighter. I also run different sizes for the exact reasons LazyBkpr doesn't.  Waaaay too many times I have watched keeps swapping out frames of brood (while harvesting) with frames of honey in the brood chamber, despite their having had treatments in the brood chamber. I don't know why some of these folks have that disconnect in their brains. I can't switch so can never make that "mistake".
If you are careful rotating your frames "down" only, you would be alright with just one size.

Awww... Now Perrys being mean to me...   Wait...  hes Always been mean to me!!!

hehe..  Indeed I dont rotate brood frames up into the supers, its meant to allow me to put honey down if needed.. As well as taking that nicely drawn honey super and turning it into a brood box for a swarm etc...   But I do see your point, and its a good one!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:09:29 pm »
Holy smokes! I hope you don't think for one minute that was directed at you!!  :-[
I probably should have worded it better.
I understand the rational for having one size fits all equipment. But it is precisely that one size fits all ability that allows keeps with less than ideal practices get away with what they do. I have seen what I described so many times it's unreal. Many keeps honestly believe that once treatments have been removed from a hive that everything left behind is whistle clean and as pure as the driven snow.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline BoilerJim

• https://www.facebook.com/jim.taul
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 07:41:05 pm »
Well, the dude has a cool house though!

I'd hate to have to mow the roof !
Jim (BoilerJim)
Proud Member (Hoosier Division)

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 07:45:16 pm »
The goats were over on the other side when the picture was taken.
Frank

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 08:12:14 pm »
Holy smokes! I hope you don't think for one minute that was directed at you!!  :-[
I probably should have worded it better.
I understand the rational for having one size fits all equipment. But it is precisely that one size fits all ability that allows keeps with less than ideal practices get away with what they do. I have seen what I described so many times it's unreal. Many keeps honestly believe that once treatments have been removed from a hive that everything left behind is whistle clean and as pure as the driven snow.

I have already made an appointment with my Psychologist, so it's ok...  I'll be FINE in a few days.. snif....

No, Actually I knew it wasnt but,   C:-) given the opportunity to harass you Perry??   Theres others here I could Harass but they arent snowed in... and have no borders to cross to knock on my front door!!!!

*Sponsor*