Author Topic: Nucs vs packages  (Read 10712 times)

Offline LindsayBrower1

Nucs vs packages
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:51:08 am »
Hey everyone! I'm feeling a bit of pressure to get my bees ordered now so I'm guaranteed to receive them in spring... On that note I've been doing as much research possible ( around taking care of my kids and husband LOL) but I haven't confidently made a decision on what I should order! Nuc? Package? I'm also nervous about who I order from since I am new to this! I have made the decision to start with 2 ! Just hoping for a little bit of guidance for a newbie. I know that the nucs are established colonies etc. but it seems to me as long as the bees are slowly introduced to the queen that they will be fine. So is a Nuc really worth the extra $100 each?
"The earth has music for those who listen"

Offline LindsayBrower1

Re: Nucs vs packages
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:57:33 am »
Let me apologize ahead of time for any questions that may be dumb  :laugh:

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 10:09:24 am »
Oh my.. you have your hands FULL!!!!!

Nucs... have drawn frames and a queen that is already introduced and laying. You simply let them get well built up in their Nuc box, and switch the frames over to your hive box..
   Packages...   They have no drawn frames and start from scratch. You have to introduce the queen to them as well.  Depending on how you get the packages, they may have already had a few days to get to know her Pheromones so it isnt often an issue.

Packages are usually cheaper than Nuc's.
   Given the choice if cost wasnt an issue I would do Nuc's providing you can find someone local that has them in the correct frame size. 5 frame Nuc is preferred over a two or three frame Nuc. More bees and the 5 frame nuc is usually a standard item that you can order a second box for if you choose to build them up to ten frames before you hive them.

A package, you just start in your hive.. Pull the cork and let them chew their way to the queen through the candy.

So, if you can, find someone local to get the nuc's from. You'll get bees acclimated to your area. If you can't then by all means order the packages!!

No such thing as dumb questions in Beekeeping!!!!!!!

Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 10:11:29 am »
Actually a nuc shouldn't be much more than a package in price after you take shipping in consideration. Find you a local keep that sells nucs. You are further ahead on a nuc they have a laying queen brood and drawn comb versus a package that will be started on foundation. A plus is a nuc is a whole lot easier to start out with than package bees.
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline LindsayBrower1

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 10:22:37 am »
Thank you!! I didn't sleep much last night between my sick husband and not being able to shut my brain off thinking about bees... Putting everything together in a fashion I can call step 1,2,3.. So on seems to be overwhelming at some points haha. Just have to put this puzzle together! I'm going to youtube some videos about what to do with the Nuc once I receive it etc. 

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 10:50:34 am »
nucs are a great choice lindsay, and you won't regret purchasing these. most beeks who sell them can also give some advice as to hiving them. 
don't be shy to start a thread on it if you would like here and ask for advice as well!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 10:51:01 am »
Let's compare prices.

Go buy a package and 5 frames with foundation.==xx dollars.

Go buy 5 drawn frames of comb= 75.00
            10 lb. of honey and pollen=75.00
            1 package of bees==xx dollars.

1 nuc==xx dollars

Now do the math, and consider the nuc will be 45 to 60 days ahead of the package, in a short NY summer.

Add that to the bonus of a beek mentor if you buy the nuc locally.

PS. The dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked, so as long as you ask it, it's not a dumb question.

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LindsayBrower1

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 10:55:31 am »
Thank you Riverbee!   O:-)
Idee- awesome breakdown! That really put things into perspective ! 2 nuts it is!

Offline LindsayBrower1

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 10:56:08 am »
Nucs* got to love spell check  :D

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 11:01:17 am »
Darn, you corrected it. I thought you were ordering me and Perry.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LindsayBrower1

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 11:03:50 am »

:D  :D

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 11:16:53 am »

hahahahah....   Ideee beat me to it!!!!!

*Sponsor*

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 12:01:44 pm »
Lindsey,

Nucs are the best way to start out if one can afford it.   With the rising costs,  the difference between a nuc and a package can be the deciding factor if folks can afford to start or not.

About the best deal around here is Jester nucs from Betterbee on April 26th.  -> http://www.betterbee.com/Products/Live-Honey-Bees/5-frame-Jester-Nuc

Glad to hear you are planning to start with 2 hives.   We didn't even get to cover that yet,  so you are ahead of the class now  :o

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 01:22:17 pm »
What a scary thought :o Ordering a iddee and perry and the possibility of getting them. ??? I won't sleep good tonight. :laugh: Jack

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 01:27:26 pm »
What a scary thought :o Ordering a iddee and perry and the possibility of getting them. ??? I won't sleep good tonight. :laugh: Jack

LOL      Yeah, I know the feeling!!!!

You can tell by the look in my eyes!!!   I was supposed to GRIN like Perry is, then, I thought about them rubber gloves...

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 01:39:48 pm »
The best part is, Iddee and me are cheap. Shipping isn't free though!  :P

Lazy, you're worried?? Just imagine how someone might feel with you coming at them with those baseball gloves you got on!!  :o

Lindsay, the advice you have received is excellent. Nucs, nucs, nucs, failing that, then packages.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 02:05:34 pm »
I won't buy another package again.  My experience has been poor with them.  Nucs will grow faster and are stronger in general.  Most packages in my region are $85 to $125 and nucs $125 to $150.  If you area paying $100 on top of a package price, that is, in my opinion, too high.  I like to get my bees from swarms in May.  I have averaged 8-9 swarms per season and that is not counting the cut outs and trap outs.  That would be my legitimate recommendation for obtaining your bees if you were so equipped to capture them.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 03:23:57 pm »
LOL Perry.. with the leather and cloth gloves its easier to pretend NOTHING degrading is about to happen!!!    :laugh:

I have ten LOCAL Nuc's ordered for spring at $85.00 ea, but I provided the Nuc boxes. I made this arrangement to benefit both of us. His queens/bees/frames in my boxes.
   Finding someone local will have more benefits than is immediately apparent.
  I will be helping one beekeeper go through Nuc's to catch queens he needs to ship or deliver. Another I will be aiding doing spring splits, and a third has promised to show me his grafting method in return for helping him set up those grafts and starter colonies..    I get to learn their methods, and make good friends.
   So ask some questions, find a local club. Take a local beekeeping class or two, or three, and don't be afraid to ask questions and talk to people. The majority of those folks will be happy to talk, and probably help.

*Sponsor*

Offline LindsayBrower1

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 07:06:09 pm »
Thank you all! And Perry's gloves are a bit intimidating I might add  :laugh:
Love the feedback... I needed to reassure myself that spending a little more had its benefits. I'm happy to spend the extra money if I know I'm in better standings. I like to do things right the first time! In my opinion that is the real money saver..

Offline LindsayBrower1

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 07:13:52 pm »

So ask some questions, find a local club. Take a local beekeeping class or two, or three, and don't be afraid to ask questions and talk to people. The majority of those folks will be happy to talk, and probably help.

I've taken 1 out of 2 classes with Rob, my next class is the 18th... He also lives about a mile away from me ( very exciting haha! ) I sound like a stalker! I can't help it I love people who are into the things I aspire.. My next step is to Jin our local club and offer some volunteer work in hopes of some real life experience. I would happily help with any job even honeybee removal would be amazing to be apart of. I don't look like much of a country girl but I bet I could really shock some people lol! Like if I told you I race dirtbikes April- October  :laugh: