Author Topic: Bad news.  (Read 5340 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Bad news.
« on: May 10, 2016, 07:45:38 pm »
A snippet from catch the buzz from bee culture magazine.
"Beekeepers across the United States lost 44 percent of their honey bee colonies during the year spanning April 2015 to April 2016, according to the latest preliminary results of an annual nationwide survey. Rates of both winter loss and summer loss—and consequently, total annual losses—worsened compared with last year. This marks the second consecutive survey year that summer loss rates rivaled winter loss rates."
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Bad news.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 08:34:06 pm »
I've often wondered which beekeepers are surveyed.  Is it the larger keeps with hundreds or thousands of hives?  The "backyard" keeps with a few hives?  Maybe a broad mixture of beekeepers?  We lost one colony this year though I had no business trying to over winter it (in retrospect).  So I guess that's better than the national average.  Sad news.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 09:35:17 pm »
I saw this on fb and I didn't read all of this report, however, the report did elude to the fact that we have more backyard beeks now than ever. And, the report stressed how backyard beeks have to take varroa mites seriously, which might be part of the problem. 
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 10:09:30 pm »
CBT - Fb mean Facebook  :)

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 10:14:29 pm »
I stay away from it on purpose. Big Brother.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 10:47:19 pm »
I enjoy my fb because I keep my personal page with just my family and a couple bee sites. Besides, my daughter puts pics of my grandkids on fb and that's the only way I get to see them. Facebook is fine if you keep it a very low roar.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 11:21:14 pm »
About 50% of the colonies in the US are owned by hobbyist or small producers that only do limited local pollination. These colonies are of little value to large scale commercial agriculture as these hive do not get moved into almond, fruit, or berry pollination. It is the loss of bees that are used to pollinate the commercial crops are the ones that get the media attention.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 11:52:23 pm »
Last year I had to move my bees twice, once across town and once across the province.  This spring I moved them for blueberry pollination.   I can definitely tell how much it messed them up.  This was the first time I ever lost a hive and I've had all kinds of queen issues as well.  Could be coincidence, but me thinks not.   I can't imagine what moving bees 6 to 10 times a year from one swath of monoculture to the next does to them.   U.S. commercial bee keepers need to re-think their husbandry practices before they see an improvement in their loss percentages.  What used to work before Varroa and Neonics just isn't working now.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 12:04:11 am »
What used to work before Varroa and Neonics just isn't working now.
It is not just these but also a lack of diversified bee forage, Chjp posted about the decline in bee forage in the Dakotas a couple of weeks back and how it effects the colonies.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 06:03:36 am »
The question is how do commercial beekeepers adjust their practices? They are simply trying to meet the demands of an agriculture industry that has gone industrial on a scale that's unbelievable.  In the big picture the future could be even scarier.

Imagine this scenario:
Crop pollination gets so demanding and bee health suffers enough that commercial beekeepers simply say enough is enough, and I refuse to put my bees through this. The losses and stress are too much, so they withdraw their services. Do you think that might be the answer?

I bet what you see if that happens would be this:
The huge ag companies will simply become beekeepers themselves, hiring someone whose sole job is to provide pollination for the crops regardless of the consequences! Seen it up here, the largest keep in the maritime's is actually owned and operated by the largest blueberry grower. This company is also the one that will knowingly import hives from Ontario SHB areas to pollinate their blueberries. As far as I know, they do not even do honey collection as it is low and merely a nuisance in their business model. Blueberry production first, bee health after that.
Imagine a couple of companies called "Bayer's Bees", or "Monsanto Apiaries"?

The entire agricultural community has to rethink itself.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 10:35:06 am »
I saw this on fb and I didn't read all of this report, however, the report did elude to the fact that we have more backyard beeks now than ever. And, the report stressed how backyard beeks have to take varroa mites seriously, which might be part of the problem.

I read this article as well. I really wish someone could could give me some evidence on their finding that small backyard hives are somehow a big factor in bee decline or a factor at all.  What Perry says is actually coming I think. My fear is that I will be forced by law to register each one of my hives and then treat those hives on a schedule. And at the same time, watch commercial beekeepers struggle to fight whatever issues plague their operation as those issues grow stronger and more immune to whatever they might throw at it.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 12:28:43 pm »
The question is how do commercial beekeepers adjust their practices? They are simply trying to meet the demands of an agriculture industry that has gone industrial on a scale that's unbelievable.  In the big picture the future could be even scarier.

Imagine this scenario:
Crop pollination gets so demanding and bee health suffers enough that commercial beekeepers simply say enough is enough, and I refuse to put my bees through this. The losses and stress are too much, so they withdraw their services. Do you think that might be the answer?

The entire agricultural community has to rethink itself.
Imagine this scenario, we don't have to it is all ready here. In the 1970 there were over 4 million colonies in the USA most ran by commercial operators. There were the west coast bees and the east cost circuit bees. With the struggles of keeping bees alive the number of commercial beekeepers have declines as well as the number of colonies that they run.
The large commercial migratory beekeepers only own about 50% of the colonies in the USA, barely enough colonies to meet the needs of almond pollination.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 12:29:18 pm »
It wouldn't surprise me that in 30 years what Perry suggests as possible will have been true...But, it wont end there.  It wouldn't surprise me if Big AG will have to reign in their pollination dependant crops like almonds, blueberies, etc., etc...and we will find decentralized locations instead of the monocrop deserts in the current AG models.  AG models like Almonds are not sustainable, we need to think about it.  JMO  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 12:49:30 pm »
Like soy beans, they will develop strains of each crop that self pollinate and the bees will not be needed. Soy beans once needed pollinators, but do not any longer. Other crops will follow suit.

Well on the way to soylent green.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 01:01:43 pm »
Is the problem Almonds, or the fact that the forage available to the bees in August and into the fall is inadequate to get the bees through to the following spring. Or the change in chemicals used on the crops across America. Any time you provide food to the bees it is a good thing. Bees build up well while they are in the almonds, It is having bees alive to go to the almonds.  Migratory beekeeping and almond pollination has been going on for over 50 years now. It's only been the last 15 years that the bees have been going through this crises.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 02:05:04 pm »
Is the problem Almonds, or the fact that the forage available to the bees in August and into the fall is inadequate to get the bees through to the following spring...?
I have read that two weeks, plus or minus, of almonds is not enough to support bees year around.  Almond orchards do not leave any other forage available for the bees before or after the bloom -not to even mention spraying...  Perhaps the edges of the orchards might, but the challenge is to overcome the downsides of monoculture.  Chip E. may fill us in on the details, I hope so.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 04:34:30 pm »
I totally agree Lee but it Has Allowed the bees to build up very early in the season so queen rearing and package bee production make available replacement bees to the rest of the country.
It seems that most think it is all almond pollination fault that there is a bee crises. When Its a lack of available bees at almond pollination time that being the media attention to the high bee losses. Moving bees is stressful on the bees but bees have been being moved for the last 100 years Its only the last 10-15 that the bees have been crashing. it was 25 years ago the mites became an issue but with a change in management and with monitoring and treatment, hive losses were controlled.
As you point out the lack of a diverse food source but the bees in nature move from one source to the next as crops mature and they come into bloom and require pollination. whether the bees can fly to the variety of food sources during the year or are transported to them I do not think is the big issue. It is a change in the pesticides, fungicides used in agriculture and the loss of natural forage. Especially in the late summer and fall when healthy winter bees need to be raised.

Offline rcannon

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 09:37:14 pm »
As long as the USDA is paying very well for bee losses, these annual surveys don't mean much.
My bee inspector told me that many dollars were paid to commercial beekeepers for empty boxes that most likely never contained any bees. These numbers have to be reported to someone before the subsidies are paid.

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 10:51:48 pm »
Lots of bees owned by commercials and I would guess that most, if not all, of the bees for almonds come from commercial beekeepers.  Almond pollen is actually pretty good nutritionally but the bees are exposed to chemicals that have negative impacts--fungicides used on almonds are especially hard on bees.  The Central Valley is basically a floral desert until the almonds bloom so bees generally have to be ramped up to get the job done; prior to almonds, bees are running on stores or nutrition provided by the beekeeper.  And, as others have said, poor habitat conditions, neonics, etc all take their toll.  Beekeeping isn't what it once was in many locations throughout the US and beyond.  The sad thing is that it will take a MAJOR crisis to change things.  Sadly, 44% loss won't do it!  In my view, if you keep bees in stationary locations you shouldn't have to feed them protein or syrup to keep them alive if the habitat is worth a hoot--the bees tell us a lot about the quality and sustainability of specific locations.  There are some locations where habitat is of adequate quality but many are not.  If you're in a good place, be thankful--the world is a changing. The remarkable thing about bees is that they respond so positively when fed quality food-either from the landscape or from artificial foods provided by beekeepers--we can make up numbers fast.  When there is no longer an economic incentive for commercial beekeepers, I would guess that hive numbers will drop precipitously.  Around here, most of the commercial guys I know did well this past winter but there were some very large commercial outfits that reported HUGE losses.
Chip

Offline Ray

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 10:45:12 pm »
Don't forget the HUMAN issue.
I was looking through a seed catalog, and ran across low pollen sunflowers.
Then there is the neonics in potted plants.
Millions of acres of lawn-deserts.
Suburban residents can, buy by the gallon, the same chemicals farmers are required licenses to purchase.
A federal initiative to help the pollinators and nothing from the USDA about location specific plantings.