Author Topic: Hay time  (Read 7786 times)

Offline Dunkel

Re: Hay time
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 12:07:50 am »
Hate to hear that Lazy Shooter.  But I guess that has been the least of your all's worry's. I can't remember what a normal year was like.   

I have under taken trying to teach my oldest son to cut.  I trimmed him out a bottom yesterday, and while he cut I watched him from the shade.  Before I could get to him he bunched a glob of hay after a turn.  Then he raised the mower without raising the blade.  Due to the design of the mower the 3pt hitch pin is sandwiched between a plate and the frame.  He sheared off three 1/2 in bolts flush with the frame. I think one had fallen out and one had been cracked in time, he just was the finishing touch.  I hated it for him , he felt awful.  I just hung my head, thinking of all my dad's equipment I had broken growing up, and the way I felt.  I told him I was glad I wasn't on the road or moving fast or something bad could have broken.

Drilled out one last night and broke an easy out in it while holding a flashlight in my mouth.  I hung it up for the night.  Two broken easy outs, five broken or dulled drill bits, and I was back in business by four this evening.  Time to cut has passed and was able to cripple home to unhook and get ready to bale. Fingers crossed.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 01:23:51 am »
Back to hay:
.  My hay, and most of my neighbors will be too tough for the cows to eat.
lazy
No one around you has a Silage Baler that would bail it for a share. It would get it off the field to allow for the second crop.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 04:51:55 pm »
Well a good run of luck. Weather held off until I was finishing coming across the bottom. I am done with the first cutting. It's takes about 500 4x4 rolls to get me through the winter, and I have 417 rolled up. No more break downs and an inch of rain when I was done. Perfect scenario,have to haul it all home though that will take another week, oh well.
 Tried to check on bees today and having trouble staying awake. Crazy what you can do when you think your tired and you keep pushing.  Now back to bees and being envious of everyone else's honey.

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 11:12:21 pm »
you are all done.  My field got cut this morning.  fingers crossed for good weather.  Dad had a 5 acre field rained on all day Saturday. 
I'm starting to think that the bees are keeping me...

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 11:44:22 am »
I'm routing for you Keith, hope you get it up.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2016, 08:15:10 pm »
Why is it the weather man chances the forecast about the same time you drop the last blade of grass??? I also hope you get it all in with out any rain.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 09:26:36 pm »
Wouldn't it be nice if you could just get a better weatherman.  :laugh:

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2016, 01:09:16 am »
I missed my calling. I should have been a meteorologist. The only job you can be consistently WRONG and not get fired.

We had an 80% chance of strong storms, even had warnings, so I worked overtime to get the hay rolled up..   Didnt get a drop of rain, didnt even have clouds!! Was a beautiful 88 degree day....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 09:42:17 am »
Like one of my uncles use to say. If you want to know what the weather is doing, open the door and look out. :D Jack

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 08:47:44 am »
I had a private pilot's license for a hundred years, and the old guy that taught me to fly always said, "Remember your weather report is coming from a guy that doesn't have a window."  At that time most of the meteorologists were in basements at airports.

It has finally dried out in our part of Texas, and we could use a rain.  That's normal, as it is normally dry for the next 75 days.  However, our rivers are still above normal and our lakes are over filled.  It's a beautiful thing.  My hay needs cutting so that it can regrow.