Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
What is this?
« on: July 13, 2016, 06:44:20 pm »
Was out at the property in Lockhartville, mowing the lawn, when I spotted this. There are a couple of them on the property, and they look kinda cool. Any ideas?
Lots of those red berries all over the place as well.

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 07:34:11 pm »
Looks kind of like mullein.  Are the leaves "fuzzy"?
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 08:58:53 pm »
Right you are Ted! Common Mullein, or some call it Wooly Mullein. It likes dry dirt like along roadsides. It has been said that kids back in the day would role up the leaves and smoke it, but only to look cool. Nothing happened. However, our firefighters are warned to NOT use it a toilet paper due the the hooked hairs, you will regret it for the rest of your life. Also, contains thousands of seeds.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 11:00:26 pm »
Mullein Tea is great for respiratory ailments. I use it to relieve seasonal sinus allergies. It reduces mucus about as well as any OTC I've ever used.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 03:40:29 am »
Good information on the medicinal benefits.  I planted 2 this year.  I am slowly transitioning my yard to natives.  It is becoming less and less work. 

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 08:05:55 am »
Since we are playing "what this."  What is This.  The bloom opens in the late evening and lasts all night.  The bloom is closed during the day.  One of my friends told me the seeds had great medicinal properties, but he did not know the name of the plant.  It came with the property that I bought last summer.

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 09:39:07 am »
Common mullien.
Tea recipe
Ingredients

>> 1-2 tsps of dried mullein leaves and/or flowers
>> 1 cup boiling water

Instructions

Pour 1 cup of boiling water over the dried mullein flowers and leaves. Steep for 10 - 15 minutes. Pour the liquid through a cheesecloth or a coffee filter to strain out the plant's tiny hairs as they may irritate the throat.

Mullein leaf tea has a soothing effect on the urinary tract and facilitates urination. It also eases a nervous, irritable bladder and incontinence. Prepare mullein tea as directed above (minus the mullein flowers) and drink 3 - 4 cups daily. (Be sure to ask your health practitioner first if this is suitable for your condition.)

Called a moon flower.

Datura stramonium, also known as Moonflower or Jimsonweed, is a poisonous weed that grows across most of the United States. Moonflower has been used for centuries as an intoxicant and medicinal herb, according to San Francisco State University. Recreational use of Moonflower has been reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or CDC, although the weed is considered highly dangerous for human consumption. Ingesting juice from the plant, eating its seeds or drinking tea made from Moonflower leaves poisons the human body and can have potent and severe effects.

Leave it to grow for show do not eat or drink tea made with this stuff.

;D  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 10:31:42 am »
Maybe there is a market for that moon lower Al? :) :D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 11:41:45 am »
Lazy, that looks like Datura or aka Moonflower.  I would question the medicinal advice.  It is poisonous.  Moths are attracted to them. 

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 02:43:58 pm »
The moon flower drips with nectar and the bees love it, like the blooms on Jimson Weed every part of the Jimson Weed is poison, but never heard of anyone being poisoned by eating honey made from either plant. ??? Jack
PS, both bloom in early and late summer.