Author Topic: Bee Expert?  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Bee Expert?
« on: September 17, 2016, 12:23:22 pm »
It is interesting to watch myself go from being the Bee expert among family and friends to total novice soaking up wisdom from the experts on this board.

I'll tell a friend or an acquaintance that I keep bees, and the Q&A session will begin.  I can discuss bee behavior, pests and diseases and honey harvesting for 30 minutes to an hour.

Then I come on this board and realize what a real novice I am as some new bits of wisdom or training happens on the screen.

Of course, I don't fool myself into thinking I'm really an expert.  I haven't even made it through my first winter yet, or had a true harvest.  And I willingly tell my inquiring friends about my limited knowledge.  Still, it is fun to know that I know a lot more details about bees and beekeeping than most of the people I meet.

Thanks to everyone on this board for your mentoring and for making those of us who are just beginning the beekeeping journey look and sound like we know what we are doing.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people
The following users thanked this post: Perry, riverbee

Offline Green bee

Re: Bee Expert?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 12:35:41 pm »
Yes I to am just beginning and I have to agree there is ALOT of knowledge past around here on this site. And everyone is so willing to help. I to must say thanks :bee:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein
The following users thanked this post: Perry, riverbee

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 01:24:39 pm »
That's one of the big differences between this place and the others. No condescending attitudes, no nastiness, just ordinary folks who want to help, not just keep secrets to themselves. I like to have fun as well, and this place is not all business, but a collection of like minded folks who are not afraid to poke fun at one another knowing it is all good natured and done in a friendly manner.
I consider this place a second home, it's that comfortable.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man, Green bee, rt1068

Offline Green bee

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 02:05:02 pm »
Yea Perry I fit right in then because I joke around a lot to. I was at beez needz earlier and iddee was there. We both had the same shirt on. Someone asked me if I was iddee's son. I said now look at my nose and look at his. He said well I guess your not haha. I told iddee what he said he said I should have said I was his daughter.....you just have to have a little fun it would be a boring world if we didn't. I am starting to realize beekeeping is as much about the folks you meet as it is about the bees.. anyway didn't mean to get off subject .
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 02:43:56 pm »
I am starting to realize beekeeping is as much about the folks you meet as it is about the bees.

There is so much truth to that statement you'll never know! :yes: :yes: :yes:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 08:53:25 pm »
I'm glad it's about bees too. No one hates bees here. Out there some think everything is a bee. They get a bad rap sometimes. :\'(

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Never argue with drunks or crazy people
The following users thanked this post: Perry, Les

Offline Green bee

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 11:52:59 pm »
Haha that's to funny :laugh: :laugh:
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 12:08:38 pm »
I learn much here.....  8)
Cheers, Bill