Sustainable Living > Preserving Food

pressure canner

<< < (8/8)

LazyBkpr:
Eaten everything on your list except possum Iddee..  I was about nine, went to look at that dead cow in grandpas pasture...  thought back then it was pretty COOL to go look at a dead cow...  smelled REALLY bad...  so I hit it with a stick just to see what would happen.. what happened was a possum came out the bloated hind end like the cow gave birth.. covered in nastyness...  one of the first animals I ever beat to death with a stick.. I've never looked at a possum the same again..    Dont get me wrong.. If I am hungry, There isn't much I wouldn't eat.
   I even tried a Porcupine..    Not bad!  I wouldnt bring it home for the table like I do squirrel and rabbit, but if hunger set in I'd certainly add them to the menu..   not that we have them things here in Iowa..     
   I think the biggest problem living rural, is that if hunger sets in, we wont be alone on our small farms long.   All them folks that think of us as uncivilized hicks will start getting hungry..  the only advantage we do have is that some of them have no clue where milk and meat come from..  once the grocery store runs out they will think EVERYONE has nothing.

mamapoppybee:
dad would fix us beef toung and heart sammiches. grew up that you always tried some thing. dad had me try mountain oysters at age 7 i spent the next week asking him how they got oysters to grow on the mountains.  :laugh: one of my better memories of him. Kids are such picky eaters now a days too. Its because parents only have them try it once and decied thats that. I always have my kids try things more than three times.

riverbee:
i grew up in western montana, my father was an okie mama..... :D  he fell in love with montana (hunting and fishing) and fell in love with my mother,......(montana girl) working a pipeline, then after his service in the armed forces, came back to montana.

we lived primarily in very rural areas growing up, there was 5 of us kids, and then a little later 2 more. money was pretty tight. my father hunted and fished, and at an early age all of us kids were taught to hunt and fish for subsistence on the table throughout the year.  i can't remember at what age i had store bought bread, milk, eggs, or even beef, probably high school, or canned food from the grocery store.  our freezer primarily had deer, elk, moose, bear, buffalo once in awhile, fish (mostly trout and catfish) and lots of game birds. once a week we would get fresh milk, cream, and eggs from my great uncle. my mother baked everything, breads, rolls, pancakes and waffles, from scratch.  the pressure canner was a staple.  she canned everything from a garden, and what we harvested from wild berry bushes for jams, jellies and syrups. fresh fruits and vegetables as we could use them, but everything was canned up.

there was no store bought junk food in our house, except for potato chips, or maybe hotdogs on a camping/fishing trip.  my dad had a craving for hersheys chocolate bars once in awhile and popcorn.  we always had popcorn around.  i think the first pizza i ever had, my mother made the crust, the sauce was canned from tomatoes in the garden, and the meat was vennison, and the veggies on it, also out of the garden.  once in a great while, there was this great place near where my father worked that served up slider hamburgers with onions, pickles, ketchup and mustard on them. little bite sized things that were tasty and a treat for us kids. he would get a bag of them with some french fries and bring them home.

kids are picky eaters today, amazing to me, and all the junk foods that are eaten.  i still enjoy the foods i grew up eating, and appreciate the hard work my parents did to provide food on the table.  i don't hunt anymore and haven't since high school; (are given and appreciate any wild game and birds given to us and some fish from friends, salmon and walleye); i do fish, but mostly for fun. once in awhile i keep one, but sure enjoy the garden and the wild plants we can to put away for the winter months.

ps great thread you started here!

robo:

--- Quote from: Irwin on January 23, 2014, 04:27:45 pm ---My x gave away every thing I had for canning. So they gave me the canner to help me get back to canning. When I was a kid that is how we did every thing canning was a way of life and big garden's.

--- End quote ---

Irwin,   I still remember the jar of canned salmon you sent me quite a few years ago....  Good things are hard to forget :P

blueblood:
Good score on the canner.  I have a Blue Book but haven't canned one jar yet.  It is a great book though.  And, I love pickin flea markets and yard/sales.  I buy and then sell on Ebay to make extra cash that always finds it way into the bee yard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version