Sustainable Living > Preserving Food

pressure canner

<< < (2/8) > >>

Crofter:
The model you link to has a weight pressure control. Some models have a spring loaded valve with a manual release lever which is I think what Iddee is referring to for air release. The blowout valve may incorporate the auto air release. I think it is center rear in the image you link to.

iddee:
The original #7 had a petcock and weight. It has been replaced with "Presto 85485 Pressure Canner Regulator Kit".
The kit is a jiggler like the newer prestos. If hers has the old petcock, she will need to leave it open to exhaust and closed to cook. The new kit is 15 to 20 dollars.

mamapoppybee:
ty all and yes idee i found mine all origanal so thank you for the info. Ill try it with petcock first and if i dont like it swap to the other

iddee:
If you are new to canning, PLEASE don't try to can non acid foods in a water bath canner. A pressure canner is an ABSOLUTE must. The sweet potatoes we canned Sunday were in a pressure canner. Botulism is a very real danger.

Crofter:
This makes this game so much more fun to hunt iddee; I see on chat she has changed out the auto air release so there may be no "petcock" The weight type pressure regulator is probably safer than the the spring and lever type which could seize. Knowing there can be confusion is why factory manual is the best advice if it is available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version