Author Topic: arugula should be on your list of plants to grow  (Read 1630 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
arugula should be on your list of plants to grow
« on: November 18, 2016, 05:24:31 pm »
even after several hard frost my arugula is still blooming & the girls are still working it! this plant is easy to grow, is great in salads, blooms all summer, & reseeds itself like crazy. the girls are also still working my hyssop & Russian sage, 2 more plants that bloom all summer & are worked by the bees non stop.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Re: arugula should be on your list of plants to grow
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 08:38:52 pm »
The only thing growing here are carrots and parsley and only because I have them covered with a row cover. 

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 07:08:05 am »
Good to know.  Thanks, rober.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 10:16:56 am »
i'm a pretty serious gardener. i consistently get more honey from my hives here at the house than any other location. i'm sure that that is because of all the bee friendly plants i grow mass quantities of. i monitored which critter worked which plant & planted accordingly. you can always find a wide variety of pollinators working my beds. & what are the odds of my ending up in a house with a linden tree in the yard?!? i plant lots of dutch white, ladino, & alsike clover in my lawn. along the fence i have sweet yellow, crimson, & prairie clovers. i even planted a European dandelion. i have some seasonal bloomers like Asian poppies & my fruit trees but the long term bloomers are the mainstays. you cannot check my beds of arugula, Russian sage, oregano, moonflowers ( in the evening ), cosmos, potentilla shrubs, hyssops, camelina, basil, & borage & not find a lot of bees working them-ever. when the linden tree blooms you can hear it buzzing from 40' or more with younger ears. i might sound like a broken record ( remember those? ) but i really believe that it's true. i have a friend in the inner city that's kind of a dead zone garden-wise. he's surrounded by chem lawn signs & perfectly manicured zoysia & as of yet has not gotten a full super of honey & has to feed heavily every fall. i know someone else that is close to the botanical gardens & he averages 3 supers per hive. also having good forage nearby means less wear & tear on the bees. that's my story & i'm sticking to it!

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 12:23:48 pm »
rober,
Our garden has anise hyssop, oregano, russian and garden sage in small beds. Pollinators of all kinds love it. Bumblebees go nuts over the anise hyssop.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 04:51:49 pm »
i consistently get more honey from my hives here at the house than any other location. i'm sure that that is because of all the bee friendly plants i grow mass quantities of.

what are the odds of my ending up in a house with a linden tree in the yard?!? when the linden tree blooms you can hear it buzzing from 40' or more with younger ears.

"mass quantities"  that is the secret to your bees finding nectar sources.

We have numerous Linden trees in the adjacent city park next to our house and I know that makes a big impact on the honey flow.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 09:48:33 am »
Out of curiosity, I googled arugula.  Wikipedia has a good picture of the bloom and I can see where honey bees would be attracted to arugula.  It is also a versatile leafy green.  The article suggested putting it on top of pizza as it is coming out of the oven.