Author Topic: Any homemade greenhouses?  (Read 4133 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Any homemade greenhouses?
« on: March 04, 2017, 05:29:46 pm »
We have been using raised beds for years and I have to say I like them. With the 2 dogs we have (Copper and Penny) running around and in between the beds (and sometimes through and over them), they are not so good. I have to admit here and now, that my wife of many years is actually completely mortified of flying insects! Yes, you heard it here first, if I am between her and the back door and we are in the garden and she hears so much as anything that sounds like a bee, I am just as likely to pick myself up off the ground after she goes inside.
Who knew?
So, I am thinking about getting rid of the beds and building some sort of greenhouse, large enough to grow most of what we use. Something with waist high tables or beds to eliminate a lot of bending, tomatoes can be grown in pots, that sort of thing. It could also be screened in when Jane is in there. I think she would be 100 times more comfortable in that setting and would probably spend more time out there.
I have a carpenter friend that has all kinds of large aluminum storm windows I could get for next to nothing. Maybe a solid north wall with windows on the east, south, west sides, and maybe a clear roof on the south side?
Anyone have pics they could share?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
Re: Any homemade greenhouses?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 07:42:21 pm »
Here is one I built almost 20 years ago.  Quite simple,  pressure treated 2x4 base with a rough cut 4x4 ridge beam.  1" PVC loop 2' on center.   I have replace the plastic 3 times now,  the first 2x with generic plastic from the box store.  The last time I bought the good stuff for greenhouses and it is well worth the extra cost.  It measures 12' x 16'.   By the way, it has held up to snow very well, never a problem even in the heaviest snow/sleet/ice.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

The following users thanked this post: Perry

Offline rcannon

Re: Any homemade greenhouses?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 10:15:15 pm »
That's a good looking greenhouse,Robo. I've been thinking about building one so we can have fresh veggies in the winter. This gives me some ideas.