Author Topic: Information/HOW TO USE AN EPINEPHRINE PEN  (Read 29737 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Information/HOW TO USE AN EPINEPHRINE PEN
« on: January 23, 2014, 04:10:11 pm »
having a bee venom allergy myself, here are some videos and information on, and, how to use an epinephrine auto injector (i carry 2, and mine also came with a training pen, this got a lot of mileage from friends and family but everyone knows how to use it). as beekeepers we all ought to be aware and educated about a bee allergy and how to use an eppy.  if anyone has anything else to add, please feel free to do so.

another instructional video on vimeo:
EpiPen Training Administration Video

this is the eppy i use, great information on allergys and use of the auto injector:
EpiPen Home Page

Other useful informative links:
How To Use An EpiPen 12 Steps

Administer An Epinephrine Shot

Epinephrine Injection Medical Facts
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
Re: Information/HOW TO USE AN EPINEPHRINE PEN
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:42:02 pm »
Good information Riverbee!  Thanks for sharing this with us.  I believe that I am going to buy an epipen for our ranch.  My oldest son is allergic to his own snot.  He very likely may be allergic to bees.  Again, you are a doll to share this information.

Offline Buzzbee

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 01:40:26 pm »
Epis come with a practice stick.Learn how to use it before you need it.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 06:06:30 pm »
yep buzzbee thanks, as stated in my post, the eppy's i use come with a training pen, and instructions.  instructions are on the pen also.  my doc showed me how to use it as well, and as did my pharmacist when i filled the prescription, which was pretty cool of him to do. a good point to learn how to use it before you need it. my family and friends know how to use this pen if need be, thanks to the training pen included in the eppy prescription.
Forum Sponsor

Offline Beeracuda

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 07:00:05 pm »
Believe me, when you have to use it, you will figure it out.  You need to make sure your friends and loved ones also know how to use it, in case you can't.

I guess I am going to have to start carrying mine with me all the time again.  The doctor said the chemo has likely wiped out the allergy shots.  After I have the stem cell transplant, I will have to be retested to see if I still have the allergies to wasps/hornets or not.  Basically, I will be getting the donors immune system.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 09:46:12 pm »
We have several Reaction Kits scattered around the house and down at my folks house.  If my wife starts a reaction, we're ready for action and always have a kit nearby.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 11:15:54 pm »
Believe me, when you have to use it, you will figure it out.  You need to make sure your friends and loved ones also know how to use it, in case you can't.

I guess I am going to have to start carrying mine with me all the time again.  The doctor said the chemo has likely wiped out the allergy shots.  After I have the stem cell transplant, I will have to be retested to see if I still have the allergies to wasps/hornets or not.  Basically, I will be getting the donors immune system.

Hang tough Beercuda.  God loves you and do many of these forum members.  He won't put more on you than you can bear.  Did you find someone to assist you with your hives?

Offline Beeracuda

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 09:31:27 pm »

Hang tough Beercuda.  God loves you and do many of these forum members.  He won't put more on you than you can bear.  Did you find someone to assist you with your hives?

Thanks lazy!  I was able to get into the two hives that I worried about the most on Sunday.  I think they are doing OK.  Tomorrow night is the local bee club meeting.  We are going to go and see if we can get some help.  I know one of the members lives close and I thought I had his number, but I couldn't find it.  He is the current president of the club, so he should be there...

Offline tmrschessie

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 09:25:39 am »
Thank You. did not ever think i would need this. However now I do. Thank you again. Tom
The following users thanked this post: Les

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 01:39:47 pm »
you are very welcome tom.
Forum Sponsor

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 10:16:21 am »
Being a newbie, I am curious.  I have never had a reaction to any bee sting other than localized site reaction.  Do you think this is something I should have on hand as a just in case?  I have heard of people that have been stung numerous times by their bees and never had more than a localized reaction until one day than everything changed and they had an anaphylactic reaction.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 10:27:46 am »
Being a newbie, I am curious.  I have never had a reaction to any bee sting other than localized site reaction.  Do you think this is something I should have on hand as a just in case?  I have heard of people that have been stung numerous times by their bees and never had more than a localized reaction until one day than everything changed and they had an anaphylactic reaction.

Epi pen takes a prescription, I believe.  I keep some benadryl around in case I itch.  But if your throat starts swelling or you have trouble breathing, it's time for 911.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 10:47:45 am »
"Being a newbie, I am curious.  I have never had a reaction to any bee sting other than localized site reaction.  Do you think this is something I should have on hand as a just in case?  I have heard of people that have been stung numerous times by their bees and never had more than a localized reaction until one day than everything changed and they had an anaphylactic reaction."

it's a personal choice les, it doesn't hurt to have one on hand, especially if one can take advantage of the offer, and yes, it requires an rx through your doc.  until one day everything changed?  it happened to me. 
story here 1st post:

Riverbee's Journey
Forum Sponsor

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 09:11:55 pm »
Got my first sting today through my jeans (fortunately), just a local reaction and used a Benadryl stick to stop the itch, worked like a charm.  I will talk to my Doc this month when I go for the dreaded annual physical.  Riverbee your life sounds like mine.  On 7/4/12 I was bare footed and stepped on a very hot bench (100 degree day), did a yowzer and was airborne.  I heard it snap in mid air.....fractured my tibia plateau (essentially punched a hole into it and a fracture across the entire tibia.  Surgery, four screws and a plate.  That wreaked my gardening season but I wasn't done yet.  We were in the midst of home rehab and nosy me had to get up and see what was going on outside.  Hobbled out to the sunroom on my crutches and the next thing I know I am flat on my back.  There was absolutely nothing in the room except a tape measure on the floor.  Yep, you guessed it, when I landed my wrist landed right on the tape measure.  More surgery, five screws and a plate.  The next 8 weeks flat on my back except for wheelchair excursions.  You have my empathy and I hope that shots have been helping.  I'd have to admit I would have to think long and hard about continuing beekeeping.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 09:50:03 pm »
LOL les!

never been known to be one with 'grace', we would get along well!.......... :D
never had surgery, screws or plates though.........tape measure!!!.... :D  could tell ya a story about getting nailed in the forehead with a tape measure rocketed out of my hillbilly neighbors snow blower next door to me in the city, while i was on the way to take another neighbor down the street to e/r after i witnessed him being struck by a drunk driver, (and took off), while he was blowing out his driveway at 11 am in the morning.....i called for paramedics, they hauled him off. i got the plate number of the vehicle.  i ran home to change clothes and whammo, incoming red  lufkin tape measure to the forehead.  left a pretty good dent and knot. cleaned it up best i could and  went off to the er to see  how the neighbor who had been struck by the vehicle was doing. kind of a circus. er thought i was coming in to be treated for the nasty zing to my forehead and i was just trying to find out how my friend was doing. cops were there asking me if i'd been hit too....... :D 
eventually, got a few laughs from him and the e/r staff.  he says to me, "what the blank happened to you since an hour ago?"  e/r staff tried to put me in another room to treat the the ding i had in my forehead...... :D

totally funny stuff looking back!

anyway, the year i developed my allergy, that summer/fall was a hard one for me.
the venom immunotherapy is working i would guess, i have yet to be stung. the first sting will tell.  about thinking long and hard about continuing to keep bees?  absolutely, and every day.

thanks les!

Forum Sponsor

Offline Colobee

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 12:18:29 am »
Not so long ago I believed, as many do,  I should have an epi-pen "handy", both for myself and for anyone else who might go into anaphylactic shock.

Fortunately, the word seems to be spreading that it is a prescription device that is individually tailored and should be administered either before or after calling 911,  NOT instead!!! There are "generic" doses for children as well as small and large adults. Any dose needs to be followed up with IMMEDIATE medical attention ( like 911 & a hospital emergency room).

An epi-pen can be just as deadly as it is "life saving". Kudos to anyone who is educating others and everyone learning  both the benefits and dangers of epi-pens.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 08:55:15 pm »
we are working with stinging insects that can cause anaphyhlaxis. i took it for granted it would never happen to me. it did. within 5 minutes one will know something is wrong.
epi injection,911, in whatever order. medical followup.  i don't think there is anyone who would administer an eppy and not seek medical attention? this would seem foolish to me?
correct, there are specific doses for children and adults.

dangers of epi pens? deadly as life saving? quite possibly. if one suffers from health issues that one is aware of that an eppy might affect your alternative health issue, however one's physician would be the one to look for advise on this, follow accordingly. 

Forum Sponsor