Author Topic: Bluerays Bee Solution  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Bluerays Bee Solution
« on: June 08, 2017, 08:19:48 pm »
I'd like to share a letter I got this evening with you from a Lego Robotics team, the BlueRays:

"Hello.
I am writing to share a new idea developed to protect bees from the aerial spraying of pesticides intended to kill mosquitoes. My hope is that this idea will help beekeepers in your area, and that you can help me get the word out.
This idea was developed by my Team, the Blue Rays, an elementary school First Lego Robotics Team. If you are not familiar with the FIRST program, it's a competitive team that works to address a real world problem. There is also a robotics component and a teamwork component to the FIRST program. This year the projects were all centered on solving problems regarding animal/human interactions. We chose to focus on bees and specifically the impact of pesticide spraying on bees.
To help protect bees from aerial pesticide spraying, the team developed the Beekeeper 20,000 - a lightweight, easy to use, pop up tent with a mister inside that can be placed over bee boxes on nights when spraying will occur. The mist calls the bees inside. Prior to the pesticide spraying the beekeeper zips the tent closed thereby protecting the bees inside the box and those clinging to the outside. Once the spraying is complete, the tent is removed and stored until needed again.
The attached PDF explains how to purchase 2 existing products from Amazon that together can be combined to make a Beekeeper 20,000 for around $40. Below is also a YouTube link to a 5 min presentation where the Blue Rays explain the problem and the solution they developed."

Here is their Video:

And here is a link to the PDF:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AgsKbxIRN0RygrEx7u6VA2Roiiah2g

Comments?
Never argue with drunks or crazy people
The following users thanked this post: Perry

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Bluerays Bee Solution
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 09:20:15 pm »
That kids are even thinking about this stuff is so positive. Thanks for the post.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
Re: Bluerays Bee Solution
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 06:30:11 pm »
Great post and gotta love how kids can come up with the solution right? Shared.....  :yes:
Cheers, Bill